Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating While "On the Road"

Options
  • 08-10-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Hey everyone,

Just doing a bit of a research assignment on healthy eating and one area I'm looking into is how difficult it is for people on the road to eat health i.e. people who travel around the country for work, truck drivers, taxi's etc. I'm sure it's been covered before but hope you can help.

Some interesting comments I've got so far are "Convenience food and healthy eating do not go together" and "I expect to eat unhealthy while on the road".

I also spoke with a owner of a store who had fruit on display but no-one bought it.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you talking about people who are away from home and staying in hotels etc?

I travel a fair bit with work, both day trips and overnights/weeks and don't find it much hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

It would be better if you experience it yourself if you havent done it.

Get yourself in your car or on public transport. Spend 3 days travelling around the country day and night and see whats available to you.

In fact, you dont even need to leave the house. Imagination research ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I came back from a 7 day work trip once and had put on 3 kilos. Mainly because of the massive hotel breakfasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 adamshare01

Get yourself in your car or on public transport. Spend 3 days travelling around the country day and night and see whats available to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I came back from a 7 day work trip once and had put on 3 kilos. Mainly because of the massive hotel breakfasts.

See that's fatal

My standard hotel breakfast is fruit, juice, porridge and coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This might be of interest. The guy is a long distance lorry driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Lia_lia wrote: »

well most of that would be water weight and digesting food, you'd be eating very very (very) well to put on 3k of fat in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

In the past 2 years I have spent close to 500 living in a hotel in Beijing. I travel between there and Germany for work. When I am in the hotel I find that eating healthy is quite easy with the breakfast buffet. But the lunch and dinner it's hard to do. You have to eat out all the time. Don't have a kitchen. The result is every single night you are in a restaurant or a bar. This means I end up eating something unhealthy and drinking alcohol quite a lot.

I am still undecided if lunching with my Chinese colleagues is healthy or not. We eat lots and lots of fried food but having said that I have maybe in two years put on two kg. I now weight 69kg at 178cm tall so I am quite a skinny guy.

I find the bigger problem with travelling is regular excercise. Beijing is not really an outdoor city. I could use the hotel gym but find that most nights I just lie on the bed. Definitely not the most healthy lifestyle.

On Monday I am heading back for an 8 week stint. I'll let you know how healthy I eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Im away about 7 days a month with work and I accept that I'm not going to eat the same as when I'm at home. I cant say no to all the bread, pastry and cereal on show at a continental breakfast and its too easy to say yes to a fry.
    Lunch and dinner or as bad if not worse

But I always find time for exercise whether its a 30 minute run, calisthenics in my room or use the gym if the hotel has a decent one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you talking about people who are away from home and staying in hotels etc?

I travel a fair bit with work, both day trips and overnights/weeks and don't find it much hassle

That is another side of it so too which I hadn't considered. I was thinking of people driving around the country or just travelling around Dublin in meetings and how it can be difficult to access healthy food

Cheers for that, I've spent a lot of time on the road with work but I don't want all the input to be my own experience. I've found it difficult to eat health on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

The trick is to wash the road kill before cooking it.

Also, don't eat any road kill that looks like road runner...

... beep beep

The trick is to wash the road kill before cooking it.

Also, don't eat any road kill that looks like road runner...

... beep beep

Another option I guess :)

Any other comments or insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think the situation is dire in Ireland. It is very hard to find a healthy salad in a petrol station, or even your average cafe/lunchtime restaurant. There's always lots of sauces, coleslaw, mayonnaise, sundried tomatoes drenched in oil, etc... I don't really have to travel for work, but often get my lunch in petrol stations since I struggle to be organized enough to bring mine in.

I love the rolls and sandwiches here, but absolutely dread the deli attendants' portions. I have to explicitly restrict the portions every time : one slice of ham, one boiled egg, or "a little bit of" cheese... and the notion of "little bit" varies greatly so I often end up with "a lot".
    I find the policy seems to be to fill in a roll with as much as it can take, and charge a high price, rather than deliver something lighter at a lighter price.

I end up paying the same price as people with a full to the brim roll for less, but I just can't cope with 3 slices of ham and a mountain of cheese as well as lettuce etc... it spoils the roll imo, and is so unhealthy.

edit : I'm in the South East, small town, rural places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Apple.

Healthy, refreshing, good for the teeth, and when you're finished you can throw the 'biodegradeable' core out the window into the bushes, for some fox/squirrel/rabbit to chew on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

I suppose the fact that you're sitting the whole time can't help either.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Apple.

Healthy, refreshing, good for the teeth, and when you're finished you can throw the 'biodegradeable' core out the window into the bushes, for some fox/squirrel/rabbit to chew on :)
    Apple for breakfast, lunch and dinner it is so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I used to be on the road a good bit, about 6 hours a day driving for work.

I found:

Breakfast, try to eat at home as much as possible before I go out, something like muesli or porridge/

Lunch, usual make up some form of fruit salad of thing like that. You would be surprised at the fruit items for sales in tescos and such, usually good.

Dinner, depend if I am out I will eat out, but usually try and get the main dish, like meat, and only eat a smaller amount of the side portions.

All depends really, I actually lost weight on the road as I was too busy to eat, but I know my old boss put on 5 stone in a year and half, looked very bad from it. He usually had 3-5 bars a day, crips, coke etc in the car with him, then ate his big dinner in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Buy fruit and especially vegetables that you can eat raw - tomato, avocado, cucumber, carrot even, and fill up on those. Get some tins of tuna or sardines or whatever. Carry a knife, fork, and spoon round with you in your car/van. Bring bottles of water.

If you are talking about a situation where somebody wakes up every morning in their own bed, it's not difficult at all to put together a healthy meal every day.

When I go anywhere with my kids I always slice up a couple of carrots, boil them with some broccoli florets, and throw in some cherry tomatoes and maybe an avocado into the lunchbox. It definitely takes less than 10 minutes in total to prepare that. Whatever junk they eat at the play area/zoo/beach wherever, it will be on top of that healthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the situation is dire in Ireland. It is very hard to find a healthy salad in a petrol station, or even your average cafe/lunchtime restaurant. There's always lots of sauces, coleslaw, mayonnaise, sundried tomatoes drenched in oil, etc... I don't really have to travel for work, but often get my lunch in petrol stations since I struggle to be organized enough to bring mine in.

I love the rolls and sandwiches here, but absolutely dread the deli attendants' portions. I have to explicitly restrict the portions every time : one slice of ham, one boiled egg, or "a little bit of" cheese... and the notion of "little bit" varies greatly so I often end up with "a lot".
    I find the policy seems to be to fill in a roll with as much as it can take, and charge a high price, rather than deliver something lighter at a lighter price.

I end up paying the same price as people with a full to the brim roll for less, but I just can't cope with 3 slices of ham and a mountain of cheese as well as lettuce etc... it spoils the roll imo, and is so unhealthy.

edit : I'm in the South East, small town, rural places.
    The ham is probs better for you than the rest of the roll

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I used to spend a fair bit on the road travelling between multiple sites and between sittign in the car for hours and living out of petrol stations on coffee, snacks and massive rolls, I'm acually amazed I didn't balloon up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have no particular thoughts on his topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

bluewolf wrote: »
    The ham is probs better for you than the rest of the roll

the hell is wrong with cheese and lettuce?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

strelok wrote: »
    the hell is wrong with cheese and lettuce?

Nothing, it wasn't mentioned in the second paragraph except as an "or"
    so i thought it was like a roll with 1 slice of ham

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I bring my lunch to work. I find salads you buy out are either very unhealthy, or the other extreme, just a few vegetables and nothing else, they would leave you starving. I make a lunch box salad of rice, pasta or potatoes, loads of vegetables and meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

allibastor wrote: »
    I used to be on the road a good bit, about 6 hours a day driving for work.

I found:

Breakfast, try to eat at home as much as possible before I go out, something like muesli or porridge/

Lunch, usual make up some form of fruit salad of thing like that. You would be surprised at the fruit items for sales in tescos and such, usually good.

Dinner, depend if I am out I will eat out, but usually try and get the main dish, like meat, and only eat a smaller amount of the side portions.

All depends really, I actually lost weight on the road as I was too busy to eat, but I know my old boss put on 5 stone in a year and half, looked very bad from it. He usually had 3-5 bars a day, crips, coke etc in the car with him, then ate his big dinner in the evening.

I'd be starving on a fruit salad for lunch. So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

As a delivery driver I did the whole breakfast roll,jam bons diet....nowadays its bagels,coffee,nicotine and running on pure hate...

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Nothing, it wasn't mentioned in the second paragraph except as an "or"
    so i thought it was like a roll with 1 slice of ham

So a roll with 1 slice of ham is worse than a roll with 3 slices ???

I always have lettuce, cu umbers, peppers etc...

My point was that when each ingredient is piled on, be it cucumber or ham, it spoils the roll, and if it's ham or cheese heaped on it's just ridiculous calorie wise.

Advertisement