Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating While "On the Road"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Tupperware is your friend. I'm over and back to the States with work quite a bit while trying to eat a high-protein diet and find the best way to manage is prepping the chicken breasts/boiled eggs/salads/raw nuts and packing tins of tuna and raw veg before I head out the door.

If I'm away from home more than a few days then I just have to be that asshole who's specific about exactly what I want with restaurant staff. Always easy enough to get a nice cut of meat and some fresh veg if you ask for it.

The main issue is the social one - "you're eating that rabbit food? sure you'll have a drink surely?" It's the same everywhere though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beks101 wrote: »
    Tupperware is your friend. I'm over and back to the States with work quite a bit while trying to eat a high-protein diet and find the best way to manage is prepping the chicken breasts/boiled eggs/salads/raw nuts and packing tins of tuna and raw veg before I head out the door.

If I'm away from home more than a few days then I just have to be that asshole who's specific about exactly what I want with restaurant staff. Always easy enough to get a nice cut of meat and some fresh veg if you ask for it.

The main issue is the social one - "you're eating that rabbit food? sure you'll have a drink surely?" It's the same everywhere though

Yeah i do this as well, always bring food into work

There are times i just need hot food though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

a friend used to work in coronary care in the local hospital and he told me what the doctors would advise patients with a heart condition:

no sausages, no steak and kidney pie, no mince meat with a high fat content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

There's no healthy eating when you have too many friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Extra care with "sports bars" or " protein bars". Dangerous trend where these are appearing at eye level ( buy level) in the grab and go sections of conveniece stores, juice bars and supermarkets. All 200 calories plus !! Protein Bars should only ever by used as meal replacers or pre/post workout. In my view they will have the same neagtive impact on obesity as the walls of high sugar sports drinks now taking up the majority of shops fridges. Should really be regulated now rather than try to deal with the damage in 3-5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Extra care with "sports bars" or " protein bars". Dangerous trend where these are appearing at eye level ( buy level) in the grab and go sections of conveniece stores, juice bars and supermarkets. All 200 calories plus !! Protein Bars should only ever by used as meal replacers or pre/post workout. In my view they will have the same neagtive impact on obesity as the walls of high sugar sports drinks now taking up the majority of shops fridges. Should really be regulated now rather than try to deal with the damage in 3-5 years time.

I've noticed that too ! Although it's debatable whether a kid who doesn't have a clue (but was out to get chocolate anyway) is better off with a protein bar or a starbar, no ? I would guess most choc bars would be 200 calories plus too, only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Away from home, live off fruit, salads and where possible porridge. Big problem with travel is dependence on processed and packaged food. You've some hope with restaurant dinners that its not the worst quality wise

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Going away for me used to be really bad, massive breakfasts and then all other meals on expenses, I felt like I had to order a lot or else the company was winning :D...

I've got it now under control, I never include the breakfast when booking a hotel(usually something like €20 in Germany for an ordinary buffet) I stock up on some energy bars before going so that takes care of breakfast and for any time I get really hungry. When it comes to dinner I still go to restaurants but I order only the mains as I think the starter only makes you hungry for more.

Hotel gyms are never up to much so I try to get a in a few miles walk around the city.

I love the rolls and sandwiches here, but absolutely dread the deli attendants' portions. I have to explicitly restrict the portions every time : one slice of ham, one boiled egg, or "a little bit of" cheese... and the notion of "little bit" varies greatly so I often end up with "a lot".
    I find the policy seems to be to fill in a roll with as much as it can take, and charge a high price, rather than deliver something lighter at a lighter price.

I end up paying the same price as people with a full to the brim roll for less, but I just can't cope with 3 slices of ham and a mountain of cheese as well as lettuce etc... it spoils the roll imo, and is so unhealthy.

edit : I'm in the South East, small town, rural places.

You have to remember though most people want massive rolls filled to the brim or they will complain so the shops cater for this.

If i'm not eating fillings out of the wrapper of the roll as it was so full they fell out then I'm not happy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

I've noticed that too ! Although it's debatable whether a kid who doesn't have a clue (but was out to get chocolate anyway) is better off with a protein bar or a starbar, no ? I would guess most choc bars would be 200 calories plus too, only guessing.

It's not the kids I would be concerned about. Kids will eat chocolate bars, always have, always will so they might as well eat starbars- as an occasional treat , of course. It's the adults who presume that protein bars are "healthy" or purchase them as meal replacers but eat them as snacks (done it). Because they are high protein they take a little longer to create a feeling of satiety and it's tempting to eat more. A snack should be less than 100 calories and no more than twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Going away for me used to be really bad, massive breakfasts and then all other meals on expenses, I felt like I had to order a lot or else the company was winning :D...

Fantastic way of looking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So a roll with 1 slice of ham is worse than a roll with 3 slices ???

I always have lettuce, cu umbers, peppers etc...

My point was that when each ingredient is piled on, be it cucumber or ham, it spoils the roll, and if it's ham or cheese heaped on it's just ridiculous calorie wise.
    never mind
    Rolls are tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

beks101 wrote: »

Tupperware is mighty, can't have enough of it!

I'm on the road a good bit with music myself and always try to prep my dinner before-hand. Usually pasta's, chicken, rice etc... Fruit is the tricky one on the road, apart from the odd Pink lady :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You have to remember though most people want massive rolls filled to the brim or they will complain so the shops cater for this.

If i'm not eating fillings out of the wrapper of the roll as it was so full they fell out then I'm not happy :pac:
    Yeah, maybe they should have 2 versions available : light, and regular.
    I hate it with a vengeance when the fillings are every where, or you can't "close" the roll.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    never mind
    Rolls are tasty
    ROLLS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Wet wipes, my trusty titanium spork , an avocado, a can of tuna or anchovies , a banana and I'm sorted on the road.

Advertisement