Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Of Heroes - Video Card requirements for a senior gamer?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Looking at this for a neighbour of a friend.

Background - Senior Gamer, pc is 7 years plus+ AMD Athlon/4gb/450w psu I think - 99% of the time he plays one game - Company Of Heroes

He had this card and its died - Ati Radeon 1gb 4850 PCIE Card

Buying online is not an option here. Budget is less than €100. I've seen an ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT730 1gb graphics card in PC World for €70.

Would this do the job? I know its an inferior card but would he really notice that much do you think?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

buy second hand on adverts if online is not an option. would get a decent card then. that card is terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Company of heroes, the first game, is so old now if you stuffed a slice of bread into your PC it would probably run fine.

That card isn't good but for Company of Heroes it's perfectly fine. And it's not really a rip off as such, they sell for the 50-70 price range online. It's just bad performance per euro compared to cards that cost about 100 online. The GTX750 online is about 100 euro, and in games would be literally 300% faster than the GT730.

But if the first company of heroes is the only game he's playing, the GT730 is fine and that price isn't bad for a walk-in store at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Company of heroes, the first game, is so old now if you stuffed a slice of bread into your PC it would probably run fine.

That card isn't good but for Company of Heroes it's perfectly fine. And it's not really a rip off as such, they sell for the 50-70 price range online. It's just bad performance per euro compared to cards that cost about 100 online. The GTX750 online is about 100 euro, and in games would be literally 300% faster than the GT730.

But if the first company of heroes is the only game he's playing, the GT730 is fine and that price isn't bad for a walk-in store at all.

Cheers for all the feedback lads. Gives me something to think about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Old but good :P

My only concern would be if he tried to play the sequel on it :p Although I fear the CPU may be a bigger issue than the graphics in that case, especially if its an old pre-Core2 Athlon :o

COH2 is actually really hardware intensive considering its own age - if he wanted to play that a whole new system would be required! I don't think for COH you'd see any benefit from a faster card than a GT730 in any case, so unless you planned carrying over a new card to a new PC, there's nothing to benefit from spending more.

Plus...I prefer COH to COH2! We still play the first game regularly. :)

• Advertisement

Would this card be a much better option - Asus AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5

Yes it's better. But if you're buying online you might as well spend £80 and get the GTX750, less than £20 more and far, far faster - could be carried over to a machine down the line.

If you go second hand a replacement HD4850 or the faster HD4870 would only cost about €25 on the likes of adverts.ie, maybe have a look on whats available in your area.

Would this card be a much better option - Asus AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5

Ended up ordering this card. Thanks for all the advice lads :)

Advertisement