Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to self-teach myself applied maths?

• 08-10-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm doing HL Maths and HL Physics in fifth year at the moment. I haven't got a great HL Irish teacher, on top of that the subject matter has jumped to a way more difficult level since the JC and I'm losing interest in the subject anyway.

So I looked at some of the applied maths threads scattered across the boards to see what was involved. A few of my friends are doing it and they said that if you're doing HL Maths and Physics and you like/enjoy them (which I do) then Applied Maths is a no-brainer.

Only thing is I wouldn't really be prepared to start having to go to extra classes outside of school. A few of my friends go to this guy for classes in the local hall on Thursday evenings but they say he's pricey enough and it's 3 hours every Thursday night. I wouldn't really be able to afford to do that, money-wise or time-wise. So I was considering self-teaching myself the subject.

I've been trying some of the OL Q1s (Unifom Acceleration I think) and I'm finding them pretty OK. I'm using resources on thephysicsteacher and the marking schemes and I seem to be able to work out what's going on.

Will I be able to continue with this when it comes to the other topics (especially the HL versions)? Or is this a dead duck without help from a teacher or tutor? My physics teacher told me that he'd be willing to give me a hand if I was ever really stuck but he doesn't do actual classes (understandably).

Anybody ever teach themselves App. Maths? How did you find it? I'm willing to dedicate about 2 hours a week to the subject if that means anything.

Any and all advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

It depends on your level of HL Physics and Maths? Are you high end, middle of the Road or are you just scraping by.

If you're high end (A-B ) in both, HL applied maths will be fairly familiar its basically just the HL Physics course. You could easily get a B+ with just good Physics study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Not G.R wrote: »
    It depends on your level of HL Physics and Maths? Are you high end, middle of the Road or are you just scraping by.

If you're high end (A-B ) in both, HL applied maths will be fairly familiar its basically just the HL Physics course. You could easily get a B+ with just good Physics study.

I'd be getting pretty solid As/High Bs in Maths and Physics (so far :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I'd be getting pretty solid As/High Bs in Maths and Physics (so far :pac: )

Then you should be getting As/Bs in HL Applied Maths already. Have you sat down and tried a HL paper for 2 hours+ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Not G.R wrote: »
    ...it's basically just the HL Physics course. You could easily get a B+ with just good Physics study.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think there's almost no truth to what you're saying.

The physics course is only ~1/4 mechanics, so equating the two is unfounded. And the overlap between the mechanics and AM is only at the most basic level of the latter.

Second,

So is it doable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

So is it doable?

I guess it's possible to self-teach any subject. If you're mathematically inclined, App Maths is one of the easier, I suppose. Each topic - of which there are ten, though you can get by doing only six - has five or so general types of question. Work your way through the book, being sure to mentally-compartmentalise those question types, and do all the past papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this might be a useful talk around the subject 1 of 8 videos by the looks of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Comepletely disagree with Not G.R. It's entirely different to the physics course.

To answer your question, yes, it's possible to teach yourself Applied Maths - I mostly did. I'd also hazard a guess that a good percentage of people who sit the AM exam does.

The above Tim Joyce video might be a nice introduction.

I'm going to continue with my trial run for at least a few weeks anyway, doing 1 hour Wednesday and Thursday evening before my homework, because for some reason I never seem to get much homework those nights.

Thanks for all the advice and resources.

Just wondering as well do I have to give the school much notice in the event I decide to sit the exam? When do I have to inform them? Will there be any issues if I'm the only one in the year sitting it?

Advertisement