Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Electric

Options
  • 08-10-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi to all,

Following the advice on TV, when I engaged an electrician to do some work for me and asked for Safe Electric membership Cert. I was handed a photocopy of a letter from ECSSA to my electrician with a Qualified Certifier Number and an Expiry date.
    When I checked the ECCSA website and looked to see if my electrician was indeed a Qualified,Insured and Registered Member of ECSSA, he was not on their list for my County. Not wanting to start a war either with my electrician or ECSSA, I still felt a need to verify this Photocopy letter that a child could knock up. SOOOO! I phoned the ECSSA people at their Head Office in Killarney.
    I was told that my electrician (having quoted his details from the photocopy) that he was Registered with ECSSA, and was THEREFOR Insured and Qualified.In other words they quoted back to me what I TOLD them - with no further verification
    When I queried why he was not on their list, I was told that their site would be up dated within hours and I could check their site again and I would see him listed. I did - he is still not listed.

My question is what use is ECSSA to a consumer???? I need a cert signed off by a qualified electrician to be submitted to the ESB and for my Insurance Co. and I cannot even ensure the guy doing the work is REALLY qualified himself.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions about how I verify the info on the photocopy - I still do not know if it is worth anything more then the ink on the paper!!!! Best Wishes to all. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mirka wrote: »
    When I checked the ECCSA website and looked to see if my electrician was indeed a Qualified,Insured and Registered Member of ECSSA, he was not on their list for my County.

Disappointing.
    Was he listed elsewhere on thier site?

I was told that my electrician (having quoted his details from the photocopy) that he was Registered with ECSSA, and was THEREFOR Insured and Qualified.In other words they quoted back to me what I TOLD them - with no further verification

I would read that differently.
    I see this as the ECSSA stating that the contractors photocopies were genuine (not forgeries).
    When I queried why he was not on their list, I was told that their site would be up dated within hours and I could check their site again and I would see him listed. I did - he is still not listed.

Bad form. Insist on email or written confirmation of his membership, insurance etc...

My question is what use is ECSSA to a consumer???? I need a cert signed off by a qualified electrician to be submitted to the ESB and for my Insurance Co. and I cannot even ensure the guy doing the work is REALLY qualified himself.

Why not simply ask the electrician to show you the originals?
    I doubt he would have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

What he has shown you (if genuine) is that he has a current QC Number. However it does not verify that he is acting on behalf of a Registered Electrical Contractor as he could be a QC for another firm without him himself/his company being a REC.

I know that certainly the searchable list of RECI RECs is updated daily.

Advertisement