Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BI Developer - SQL Server or Oracle?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 9:13pm

I'm a BI developer in Oracle (first job out of college) and I've noticed in other job listings the majority of companies ask for SQL Server and the Server reporting stack.

Just wondering, As someone who only has a professional Oracle background would this matter going for these kinds of jobs given how similar both languages are? If it is the case that it's substantial in an employers eyes, would an MCSA type cert be required?

Would love any insight anyone might have, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Kalico92 wrote: »
    given how similar both languages are?
    It's not really about the languages, with the MS BI Stack it's more about the tools, i.e. SSAS (OLAP/Cube server), SSIS (ETL) and SSRS (Reporting).

They're good products, but very different from Oracle's. It's important to know the key concepts of Data Warehousing before tackling either.

Advertisement