Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to setup IP Cameras Hikvision

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Make sure that you are getting real branded cameras and not clones. Have you checked where they ship from? If from outside the EU you might be liable to duty. And while the Cat 5 cable seems like a good deal, check out the shipping cost to Ireland which runs to 25 pounds. You might be better talking to an Irish supplier on the sticky above

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Thanks for that. Yes I have read about the clone ones will make sure there Legit and running the newer software. As for Cat5 cable from the UK been using Parcel Motel for about 2 years its cheap as chips to send stuff from the UK.

Also for a normal estate house would a 2.8 or 4mm lense be better or the varied focal ? Just for the front and back gardens.

Thanks

Gary

So Setup me Hikvision 4mm 3mp cameras and must say very impressed with the quality. Im using Blue Iris for the software (cost about 50 Euros) but well worth the money.

I have one in the porch and one at the back of the house

I have a NAS drive 4tb on the network and it working like a dream.

So overall cost
    Cameras - 200 Euros for the 2 - Ebay
    20 Euros for the Cable cat 5e and crimp set Ebay
    20 Euros of 2nd hand POE hub Ebay
    100 euros for 4TB Nas Drive Adverts
    50 Euros for Blue Iris software to run the Cameras

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Thanks for the update Gary, thinking of a similar setup myself. How do you find the night vision on these cameras?

Gryzor wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Gary, thinking of a similar setup myself. How do you find the night vision on these cameras?

Night Vision is very good short range I would say about 5/6 meters. Bleeding cats are setting off the cameras every night. and then in the porch you have to clear away the spiders every now and then or they trigger the camera.

I spent about a week playing with the camera Frames and sensitivity took a while but looking good now. So day vision on these 3mp IP cameras is excellent and night vision is good enough for me.

Regards

Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

I have just ordered 2 Hikvision 1080p Dome Cameras with built in wifi and H265 SD Card recording so I am going to run these as standalone devices and not connected to a NAS or NVR and wont have to run ethernet cables etc.

Price from Aliexpress was about €75 each and then €5 each for 2 x 12v power supply.

Also going to stick 2 x 64gb SD cards in for €15 each so combined total will €190 plus may get hit with a bit of import duty so all in about €250 which I am pretty happy with!

reni10 wrote: »
    I have just ordered 2 Hikvision 1080p Dome Cameras with built in wifi and H265 SD Card recording so I am going to run these as standalone devices and not connected to a NAS or NVR and wont have to run ethernet cables etc.

Price from Aliexpress was about €75 each and then €5 each for 2 x 12v power supply.

Also going to stick 2 x 64gb SD cards in for €15 each so combined total will €190 plus may get hit with a bit of import duty so all in about €250 which I am pretty happy with!

Mine have SD card slots but I didn't use them. You will probably have to unscrew the dome to get at the SD cards. If you running power then you may as well run cat5e or 6 if there POE as well, just in case you change your mind.

I would def recommend POE rather than running just power you get more options.

Gary

I would have to run poe cables from my router and also buy a POE injector to the the cams which are under the eaves of the house so quiet a large and unsightly cable run!

Whereas with the 12v power it just needs to get connected into the nearest light or other electrical cable so considerably less effort and cost then running POE from one side of the house to the very top of the other side of the house.

How did you manage such a long run and hiding the cables etc.?

I would have to run poe cables from my router and also buy a POE injector to the the cams which are under the eaves of the house so quiet a large and unsightly cable run!

Whereas with the 12v power it just needs to get connected into the nearest light or other electrical cable so considerably less effort and cost then running POE from one side of the house to the very top of the other side of the house.

How did you manage such a long run and hiding the cables etc.?

I just purchased a 100m cat5e cable and a crimp set and then spend a few hrs just pushing the cable from the porch drilled a hole next to the Garage and then drilled another hole from garage into Study where POE is. Once I had the cable in I just crimped the ends and tested and then plugged into POE router

Sounds like you did not have to run the cable very fair at all so that is fine. Mine would need to be run from my sitting room at the very front of the house to the very opposite corner of the roof at the back of the house so would have to either drill through the walls and go around the external of the house which would probably be a 30m cable run or through the ceilings to the attic and then across so the 12v connection makes much more sense for me as it can just be hooked in to any electrical cable.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you did not have to run the cable very fair at all so that is fine. Mine would need to be run from my sitting room at the very front of the house to the very opposite corner of the roof at the back of the house so would have to either drill through the walls and go around the external of the house which would probably be a 30m cable run or through the ceilings to the attic and then across so the 12v connection makes much more sense for me as it can just be hooked in to any electrical cable.

The back of the house was much longer. Went from top of eve of house though attic down side of exterior into util room and then from there into garage and then into Study. You just have to plan your route

If you run the cables around the exterior of the house I would have thought this could be easily cut by someone wanting to disable the cameras?

If you run the cables around the exterior of the house I would have thought this could be easily cut by someone wanting to disable the cameras?

No its in a metal case as I run other cables down the side of house

@ Gary, did you use the ebay seller in your OP for the cameras??

@ reni10, alternative to running cable all over the place would be powerline adapters. I realise it's another point of failure, but might help getting to a tricky spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi Gary

Great info.
    Will the blue iris software run from the nas? Or have you a pc/laptop running 24-7

Thanks

@ Gary, did you use the ebay seller in your OP for the cameras??

@ reni10, alternative to running cable all over the place would be powerline adapters. I realise it's another point of failure, but might help getting to a tricky spot.

No I purchased 2 from the UK, from a guy who was selling 2 of the 4mm IP cameras. They are china Version but original Hikvision Cameras, and not had a problem with them.

Also Can you run POE over Power adapters ?

Regards

Gary

garyh3 wrote: »

Also Can you run POE over Power adapters ?

Don't think so. But if it suited, you could use the powerlines to get ethernet to the nearest electrical socket to your camera. then stick a POE injector on the ethernet run from the powerline to the camera. Might save running cat5 all over the place.

Don't think so. But if it suited, you could use the powerlines to get ethernet to the nearest electrical socket to your camera. then stick a POE injector on the ethernet run from the powerline to the camera. Might save running cat5 all over the place.

That's an Idea but then as you say another point of failure. Once you get then up and running you will be impressed with the quality of theses cameras.

Have one camera up and running. Seems to have jumped about 33% in price since i got it :eek:. Even with that said, I know I paid more than the gray market Chinese version, just the way I decided to go.
    Using it with Blue Iris software, and have to say I'm impressed with the overall result.
    Didn't realise how tricky it would be to get it fine tuned to the point of not triggering it at every tiny thing versus actually triggering at the right time. Think I'm 90% there though. The next camera will be alot easier as theres a bit of a learning curve the first time round. Loads of great forums around dedicated to IP cameras already had most of my questions answered..
    The BI software is definitely a big help in getting the settings right. Love the way you can change the motion sensor setting and replay old clips (generated from spurious triggers) and check them against your new settings to see if they have worked...

More cameras when funds allow...

deckie27 wrote: »
    Hi Gary

Great info.
    Will the blue iris software run from the nas? Or have you a pc/laptop running 24-7

Thanks

Mines running from a Lenovo T500 Laptop running win 10. Running 24/7 with 7 days of recordings. There there's a 4 TB Nas drive

Gary

• Advertisement

Have one camera up and running. Seems to have jumped about 33% in price since i got it :eek:. Even with that said, I know I paid more than the gray market Chinese version, just the way I decided to go.
    Using it with Blue Iris software, and have to say I'm impressed with the overall result.
    Didn't realise how tricky it would be to get it fine tuned to the point of not triggering it at every tiny thing versus actually triggering at the right time. Think I'm 90% there though. The next camera will be alot easier as theres a bit of a learning curve the first time round. Loads of great forums around dedicated to IP cameras already had most of my questions answered..
    The BI software is definitely a big help in getting the settings right. Love the way you can change the motion sensor setting and replay old clips (generated from spurious triggers) and check them against your new settings to see if they have worked...

More cameras when funds allow...

Took me a week to play around with BI to get it right. FPS was a pain. The cats set ours off all the times but there's nothing I can do about that. Yes for about 40 Euro BI is great the playback is very easy as the last few are down the right hand side. Also the Night Vision on these cameras are really good now.

Gary

garyh3 wrote: »
    FPS was a pain. The cats set ours off all the times but there's nothing I can do about that.

Why was FPS such a problem??

Have the cats problem too, did catch a fox on the camera the other night aswell though..

Why was FPS such a problem??

Have the cats problem too, did catch a fox on the camera the other night aswell though..

FPS was too high and the PC could not cope and I was getting ghosting.

Advertisement