Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone upgrades

• 08-10-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

It's been a long time since i have been on a contract as i've been lucky enough to be given my mum's iphone 4 and then 5 after she upgraded. However i'm considering getting the iphone 6 (or maybe 6s if the budget will stretch) on contract. Meteor seem to have the best deal for an iphone 6 at the moment with the 16gig €99 and then €40 a month. So in two years time would i be able to upgrade to the latest iphone and does this normally cost you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

mel.b wrote: »
    It's been a long time since i have been on a contract as i've been lucky enough to be given my mum's iphone 4 and then 5 after she upgraded. However i'm considering getting the iphone 6 (or maybe 6s if the budget will stretch) on contract. Meteor seem to have the best deal for an iphone 6 at the moment with the 16gig €99 and then €40 a month. So in two years time would i be able to upgrade to the latest iphone and does this normally cost you?
    The newest iPhone will likely be over €200 on that contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Do you mean now or in two yrs time with an upgrade? If anyone is upgrading now i'd be interested to know what it is costing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Meteor have the 6s on that plan for 249

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/iphone-6s-16gb

I had seen that. What i actually want to know is about people's experiences with upgrading when their contract is up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I had seen that. What i actually want to know is about people's experiences with upgrading when their contract is up!
    Service providers use the word 'upgrade' which used to mean that customers would be eligible for a generously discounted handset when they had satisfied their contract, but nowadays 'upgrade' just means that you might get a new handset at about €10 less than a new customer.

You're really better off purchasing your handset from Apple & going on a 30 day sim only/PAYG plan. You're then free to chop & change providers if & when you want as various sim only/PAYG plans are introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Agree with poster above. Sim free plans are excellent unless there happens to be a very specific plan that meets your needs (or you are a very high volume user of your phone with a high bill either way).

I choose three because it gives me broadband speeds where I live and unlimited 4g data. No need for wired broadband, so it's effectively a bargain whatever the cost. Other mobile networks do not perform as well at my address.

Thanks, that is what i wanted to know. Guess i'll get saving then!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Service providers use the word 'upgrade' which used to mean that customers would be eligible for a generously discounted handset when they had satisfied their contract, but nowadays 'upgrade' just means that you might get a new handset at about €10 less than a new customer.

You're really better off purchasing your handset from Apple & going on a 30 day sim only/PAYG plan. You're then free to chop & change providers if & when you want as various sim only/PAYG plans are introduced.

Vodafone have an add-on of €5 per month and then you get a new phone every 12 months, so I'm thinking of getting a 6s and then in 12 months getting a 7. Anyone any experience with this with Vodafone? Is it worth the €5 a month? Will the still charge a high cost to upgrade?

Any info appreciated.

Vodafone have an add-on of €5 per month and then you get a new phone every 12 months, so I'm thinking of getting a 6s and then in 12 months getting a 7. Anyone any experience with this with Vodafone? Is it worth the €5 a month? Will the still charge a high cost to upgrade?

Any info appreciated.
    Usually you have to give back the phone or pay a premium. In March I used it and keeping the phone I should of had to pay €299 for a 6. It was €49 as a new customer. They messed up something though so I got the phone for free. I had the option of getting a 64gb for €49 but it had to be posted and I was too impatient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

3DataModem wrote: »
    Agree with poster above. Sim free plans are excellent unless there happens to be a very specific plan that meets your needs (or you are a very high volume user of your phone with a high bill either way).

Are you though??

I've been crunching the numbers lately and I can get an eMobile contract on unlimited minutes/texts and 5GB of data for €1039 for 24 months for a 64GB iPhone 6 (€199 for the phone plus rental of €20 for first 6 months and 18 x €40 for the remainder).

To buy the same phone from Apple is €759 and the cheapest 30-day SIM only is the 48 network at €20 per month which works out at €1,129 over two years.

So a saving of €90 over two years without having to pony up the initial c.€750 outlay for the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

tallpaul wrote: »
    Are you though??

I've been crunching the numbers lately and I can get an eMobile contract on unlimited minutes/texts and 5GB of data for €1039 for 24 months for a 64GB iPhone 6 (€199 for the phone plus rental of €20 for first 6 months and 18 x €40 for the remainder).

To buy the same phone from Apple is €759 and the cheapest 30-day SIM only is the 48 network at €20 per month which works out at €1,129 over two years.

So a saving of €90 over two years without having to pony up the initial c.€750 outlay for the phone.

Worth considering that if you sell your previous phone for more than €90 it works out pretty well. If you get into the cycle of selling and upgrading it might only cost €2-300 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zcott wrote: »
    Worth considering that if you sell your previous phone for more than €90 it works out pretty well. If you get into the cycle of selling and upgrading it might only cost €2-300 a year.

That's what I do. Went from 6 to 6s plus. Cost me 350

Zcott wrote: »

The same applies to selling a phone you got on contract as well. I got a 5s in March 14 for free, €75 a month and in March 15 I got a 6 for €49. Over the year I spent €900 on bill and sold the 5s for €450. Vodafone made a mistake and only charged €49 for the 6 but should have been €299 if I was keeping the 5s. Even taking that into account though it would only cost €750 over the year for phone and all usage but it only cost me €500.

Advertisement