Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street lights blocked by trees

Options
  • 08-10-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section but every street light on my street in basically inside a tree, therefor no light gets to the road. Who do I contact? Is it south Dublin council or....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Depends where you live....you never said where you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

highdef wrote: »
    Depends where you live....you never said where you are!

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Knocklyon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

no problem. I did a quick google and this link should bring you what you are looking for - http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1279

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

We had this problem in my estate (DLR)

The local authority conducted a tree survey, removed all trees that were planted too close to lights and removed all branches below 3 metres on the remaining trees

homer911 wrote: »

The local authority conducted a tree survey, removed all trees that were planted too close to lights and removed all branches below 3 metres on the remaining trees

How did you bring this to there attention? Was it through the website link in the above post?

• Advertisement

How did you bring this to there attention? Was it through the website link in the above post?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mark.. wrote: »

Use this website. Detail the location and the specific problem. It will find its way to South Dublin CoCo Parks section who will look after it. Might take a while.

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do you miss the trees, in hindsight would you prefer them to have done nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

We certainly don't need a trigger happy tree felling campaign encouraged. There have been tons of trees removed and never replaced. Bleak.

Chinasea wrote: »
    We certainly don't need a trigger happy tree felling campaign encouraged. There have been tons of trees removed and never replaced. Bleak.

I would happily leave the tree where it stands if it didn't completely surround the street lights, causing the road/path to be unsafe because it is pitch dark. I'd much rather my road not be a target for burglarys either because it's a easy target with zero light. So yes it may be bleak but it's a case of function over form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mark.. wrote: »
    I would happily leave the tree where it stands if it didn't completely surround the street lights, causing the road/path to be unsafe because it is pitch dark. I'd much rather my road not be a target for burglarys either because it's a easy target with zero light. So yes it may be bleak but it's a case of function over form.

I don't think that is the case. in fact the first thing Google turns up when asked so street lights reduce crime, states otherwise.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Burglars-afraid-dark-Crime-falls-Bristol-street/story-13952633-detail/story.html

would you not rather in put lighting on your own lighting (e.g PIR security lights) and still enjoy the trees?

ted1 wrote: »
    I don't think that is the case. in fact the first thing Google turns up when asked so street lights reduce crime, states otherwise.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Burglars-afraid-dark-Crime-falls-Bristol-street/story-13952633-detail/story.html

would you not rather in put lighting on your own lighting (e.g PIR security lights) and still enjoy the trees?

Don't be naive enough to believe that. This is all these people do for a living, if you had two roads one well lit and the other pitch dark, I know if I was to choose one to steal from it'd be the one in the cover of darkness. I have PIR lights, cameras everything. Although this keeps me protected to an extent it didn't save my neighbour who had a man in there house for 10minutes while they lay in bed, All well and good if you can afford that protection but those who can't deserve to at least benefit from the council supplied light. Like I said I like trees as much as the next person but it either has to be trimmed back heavily or gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Blaming trees on crime is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Chinasea wrote: »
    Blaming trees on crime is ridiculous.

I don't know, an acorn fell on my head once.
    Seriously though it makes total sense to have a balance of light vs greenery. A sensible balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

We had a tree growing up around the nearest street light. At various times the bulb has gone... they it really is dark as no lamps on other side of road. Thankfully when work being done on it recently, they swung the light fixture around a bit and now clear of the tree and does a great job at illuminating our housefront. A compromise?

Advertisement