Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a new monitor and GPU,Will I need to upgrade the rest of my system?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a new 1440p 144hz monitor such as the benq xl2730z freesync monitor as well as a sapphire tri-x fury GPU. Im a little worried my current system might bottleneck this new upgrade.

Current System:
    i5 2500k cpu
    8gb ddr3 ram
    MSI P67A-GD53 pci-e 2.0 version
    Corsair HX620w PSU
    GTX 570

Main concerns are do I have enough power for this new grahics card, the PSU is around 7 years old now. As well as the Motherboard only having PCI-E 2.0 slots. The CPU and RAM i think might be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

All is grand aside from the GPU

Have you overclocked the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Yeah im finding myself struggling playing AAA games on 1680 x 1050 nowadays so definitely time for a GPU and Monitor upgrade.

I haven't overclocked the CPU no? Im only using the stock cooler on it so not sure if I could? and if so would I then need a better power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You will be able to get a bit of an OC on the stock cooler, you mightn't need to tthough so I wouldn't fret it.

620w is fine

What card are you going up to? You'll want a 290/390 or better for 1440p144

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can overclock if you want, but it's not a necessity. The 2500K is still plenty fast for all the latest releases at stock speed, it's the GPU holding you back.

Having said that I would have though a GTX570 would still be still OK-ish at 1680x1050, it's about the same speed as a GTX750.

Thinking of getting a sapphire tri x fury was looking to get a 980ti but seen as the monitor is free sync I'd like to get the amd card.

I think I'll see how the cpu handles the higher res games after I upgrade and see if the overclock is needed then. The gtx 570 is still doing me fine for most games just not on high with all the bells and whistles on which is what I'd like to have with this new monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

IgsTer wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a sapphire tri x fury was looking to get a 980ti but seen as the monitor is free sync I'd like to get the amd card.

I think I'll see how the cpu handles the higher res games after I upgrade and see if the overclock is needed then. The gtx 570 is still doing me fine for most games just not on high with all the bells and whistles on which is what I'd like to have with this new monitor.

Most games these days make use of the GPU instead of the GPU. One of the tech channels on YouTube (Linus) ran tests on how various CPU's with the exact same GPU handled various current AAA titles at 1080, 1440 and 4K.

Tombraider was the only game that was a CPU hog and the rest of the results showed 1-3 FPS variations between the different CPU's.

A new GPU and SSD are the best bang for buck when upgrading older systems.

Venom wrote: »
    Most games these days make use of the GPU instead of the GPU. One of the tech channels on YouTube (Linus) ran tests on how various CPU's with the exact same GPU handled various current AAA titles at 1080, 1440 and 4K.

Tombraider was the only game that was a CPU hog and the rest of the results showed 1-3 FPS variations between the different CPU's.

A new GPU and SSD are the best bang for buck when upgrading older systems.

yeah thats what i was hoping to hear, I think the only game ive played on my i5 2500k that reahed 100% usage was GTA V and that probably could of being reduced if i had a better GPU.

Already have an ok SSD, reckon the GPU is the only real weak link I have then

Advertisement