Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Installation - advice please

Options
  • 08-10-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Looking for help here.

My daughter is renting a house.

A short circuit occurred and the MCB failed to trip. Fault was cleared by the copper melting.
    There is no RCD protection.
    Earths missing.
    Board wired incorrectly.

I advised that she gets the landlord to get a REC to sort this out.

The landlord is not responding with a REC.

I am concerned about her safety - is there some body I can go to ?

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If the board is incorrectly wired as you described then only a REC can fix it.

I expect your daughter could raise a complaint with the PRTB?

She should find out when was a periodic inspection report last carried out by a REC too, as far as I know there is an obligation on landlords to get one every five years.

Moving out might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

adrian92 wrote: »
    Looking for help here.

My daughter is renting a house.

A short circuit occurred and the MCB failed to trip. Fault was cleared by the copper melting.
    There is no RCD protection.
    Earths missing.
    Board wired incorrectly.

I advised that she gets the landlord to get a REC to sort this out.

The landlord is not responding with a REC.

I am concerned about her safety - is there some body I can go to ?

Any suggestions welcome.

Whilst it sounds shocking (pun not intended) I'm curious what copper melted? My point being that the copper that melted might have required less current than what the MCB would trip at e.g. 20A current needed to melt (say) the bit of copper, on a properly deisgned 32A circuit... just a thought.

brightspark is right about the PRTB - presume your daughter is there beyond the period of the landlord kicking her out with minimal notice, and the tenancy is registered with the PRTB?

This is a page detailing the obligations which might be useful to show the landlord: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

and if you're missing earths & no earth leakage interruption, definately not safe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    Whilst it sounds shocking (pun not intended) I'm curious what copper melted?

The most likely reason is a poor connection.
    Remember a small current can generate a lot of heat because the heat generated = (I^2) R

My point being that the copper that melted might have required less current than what the MCB would trip at e.g. 20A current needed to melt (say) the bit of copper, on a properly deisgned 32A circuit... just a thought.

Yes, it could be a properly designed circuit that was poorly installed.
    A connection of 2Ω resistance with 20A flowing through it would generate 800W, so it would get very hot very quickly. Remember 32A can flow through a 32A MCB indefinitely without the unit tripping.

I am in the middle of commissioning a turbine at the moment. Part of the process involves feeding over 1MW to a load bank. As you can imagine we have to measure the resistance of every conductor to ensure that nothing overheats :)

Advertisement