Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rasberry pi - USB powered

Options
  • 09-10-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Is anyone powering their raspberry pi from a USB port on a tv?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

guano_jim wrote: »

Haven't tried. I'm using a powered hub which works fine. I've only got one external hdd coming off the pi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Haven't tried. I'm using a powered hub which works fine. I've only got one external hdd coming off the pi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I did for a while on mine but had to stop because there wasn't enough juice going to it. (Rainbow box appears in the top right corner to let you know it's not getting enough)

Granted, I was using it for emulation but if you're just using it to run something like Openelec you should be grand.

Was handy because the software could detected the TV supported CEC (most modern ones do I think) so I could automatically use the TV remote to control it and it turned on / off with the TV appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yes, using it with my LG TV for the last couple of years, powered through the USB port in the TV, no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Was handy because the software could detected the TV supported CEC (most modern ones do I think) so I could automatically use the TV remote to control it and it turned on / off with the TV appropriately.

This works via HDMI too. That's the way I have it set up with Kodi on it. Using mains power to the Pi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I use to power two of them this way.
    That rainbox box can also be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I run my OpenElec Pi from the USB port in my Samsung tv. Never had issues.

Advertisement