Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 year old wet the bed

Options
  • 09-10-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My 11 year old daughter wet her bed last night. This morning she casually asked me if I could wash her bed linen today as she 'loves to have fresh bed linen on a Friday night'. I agreed I would and later as they were having breakfast I went up to strip her bed and found it was wet. I stripped her bed and came down to the washing machine and she asked me if it was difficult to strip her bed, I said no, not at all. But I didn't say anything else as her brother was listening and I didn't want him to possibly tease her about it.

They have gone to school now and I am in the process of cleaning the mattress. This has never happened before, and I don't want to make a big deal of it, but I guess I need to talk to her about it. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it? She is quite deep, it's not always easy to find out what she is thinking or feeling, although she has a very positive nature, and is very easy going, she can be shy and a little anxious at times. Any help appreciated!

I don't know what triggered it, the only thing I can think of is that I had the period chat with her just over a week ago, read through the girls body book with her, and talked her through just to let her know what might happen in the next while. She is not showing any signs of puberty yet, no budding breasts, no body hair but at her age I felt I had to introduce it. She seemed to take it in her stride.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Hi op,
    If this is the first time it happened I wouldn't even mention it to her. Accidents happen. Could be something as simple as her forgetting to go to the bathroom before bed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If it's just a one off and it doesn't seem to be upsetting her all that much then I would just leave it slide myself. These things happen from time to time, and I really wouldn't worry about it too much if it remains an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Barker152

Thanks for the advice, that sounds good. I definitely don't want to make a big deal of it. We have plans for a bit of time together after school, just the two of us, so I'll see if she says anything about it, otherwise I might just let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The most I'd suggest you say is 'you must have slept really deeply last night' or else she would have woken. She could also be growing, always noticed that with mine, some morning they could sleep a lot later. A day or two later suddenly they are an inch or two taller.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, I'd always used to tell kids when washing sheets, that's why god invented washing machines. Make sure though to tell her it's nothing to be worried or embarrassed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

She probably had a full bladder and dreamt she was doing a pee. And then did a pee.

I wouldn't sweat it unless a pattern emerges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I'd ask her about it. It may be just that she drank a lot or some other innocent explanation. But likewise it could be that she is upset or stressed about something. I'd just say to her privately "I know you wet your bed, that's ok, accidents happen, but is there something wrong/upsetting you?" Let her know she can come and talk to you if she does have a problem.

Advertisement