Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kennels

• 09-10-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37

Hi all,

Planning on doing a bit of travelling over the next couple of months. Looking for kennel recommendations on the Northside of Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi all,

Planning on doing a bit of travelling over the next couple of months. Looking for kennel recommendations on the Northside of Dublin?

To be honest OP putting a dog in kennels for a couple of months isn't ideal for the dog... especially normal style kennels.. locked up for a long time each with little interaction...maybe try home stay kennels?

This is where you dog will stay as part of someone home, far better on the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rockinmama

I use the brother of a friend who lives up in Drogheda, if you organise with him he can pick your dog up and drop him off when you're back. Masses of space for him to run around and gets brought to the beach everyday, my Boarder Collie gets a crazy amount of exercise there and is totally needy for the cuddles so gets loads of love. Let me know and I'll PM the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

rockinmama wrote: »
    I use the brother of a friend who lives up in Drogheda, if you organise with him he can pick your dog up and drop him off when you're back. Masses of space for him to run around and gets brought to the beach everyday, my Boarder Collie gets a crazy amount of exercise there and is totally needy for the cuddles so gets loads of love. Let me know and I'll PM the details.

Not comparing the post above but years ago i used a kennels who had a Drop off / collect service.... when i was naive, he was all groomed etc when i got him back.. I even got texted every night saying how happy he was etc....i thought WOW thats brilliant.. he was unusually quiet though when he was retuned but sure i thought it was because he was tired from exercise etc

Ok so about 3 months later i was passing the place where he was kenneled so i called in ... oh sweet jesus.. the place was FILTHY.. loads of dogs stuffed into kennels together, constant barking, stank of sh*te etc... i was horrified ... moral of the story NEVER send your dog to a kennels UNLESS you inspect it first.

Place i am referring to was in cavan - Aka hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rockinmama

Totally agree which is why I never sent our fella to a place in Swords that was recommended, concrete concrete everywhere!

Luckily I've been to his home and feel really happy sending the puppy there (sorry I still call him a puppy cuz he acts like one)

There's also a good kennel on the Hole in the Wall Road down from Trinity Sports and Leisure in Donaghmede that we use for daycare and over nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

We're kenneling our two next month as we're off to the USA. First time they'll ever be sleeping away from home. They've always been pet-sat, or had a dog walker visit and feed.

The most important point is to visit the kennel and meet the people involved. We've seen three and settled on a winner. Fabulous set up, spotless, purpose built and secure. Each kennel had indoor/outdoor areas, breaking out to a large communal area, then a larger field and run.

They boys got a day visit last Saturday and when I went to collect them the owner called me over (he was behind a large fence) so I could see them interacting and playing wity the other dogs. Warmed my heart to see them having fun.

They didn't want to leave. I'm putting them in overnight this weekend and we'll build up to our two week stay. It's important to me to introduce 'kenneling' as I would with anything else - little by little.

They slept all last Saturday evening they were sooo emotionally tired from all the play. I slept straight through till half 10 Sunday morning as the dogs didn't stir. Jack normally has me up at 7am!!!

It's very important that you see the place and introduce the dog little by little.

A few months in the wrong place isn't worth thinking about.

Unfortunately, we're down the county!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Sup08

There are brilliant kennels just north of Swords that would suit you. I used them quite a lot and they were brilliant. Irish Rosettes is the name. Website http://www.irps.ie/

If you want to leave them in kennels they have to have the kennel cough vaccination.

I would not recommend the one in Swords behind the vets, Lissenhall. I had a very bad experience with the dogs on my first ever time leaving them in a kennel. One of the dogs got out and nearly got run over on the main road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Posters, please be aware that this thread is some months old, presumably the op got sorted since.
    I'll leave it open for the purposes of people adding further to a thread that might be a useful resource for others.
    Thanks
    DBB

Advertisement