Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clonlara ghost slab

• 09-10-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I was reading a document from the clarelibrary.ie website and it tells about a ghost slab in Clonlara who was used in 1769 to exorcise a ghost who was haunting the bridge.
    Could you please tell me if this slab still exists and where it is?
    Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Sheelanagig as it is known is still there on the Old Canal Bridge just to the south of the village ( Clonlara is actually located on artificial island between 2 canals)
    Its in pretty poor condition having been vandalised by some religious zealot around 50 years ago.

Actually seems to have been restored somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The Sheelanagig as it is known is still there on the Old Canal Bridge just to the south of the village ( Clonlara is actually located on artificial island between 2 canals)
    Its in pretty poor condition having been vandalised by some religious zealot around 50 years ago.

Thanks a million for the directions, I have just found it on the Google Street View!!! :)

Thanks for the photo, I hadn't found it! :)

Reputable Rog, you've been very helpful, kind and quick!
    I do appreciate your help!

EDIT: Actually I was looking for a "Clonlara ghost slab". When I used "clonlara sheela na gig" as a search key I found more stuff. I don't think it's a sheela, though...

Actually it turns out, one of the locals went at it with a marker which gives the impression of it being restored.
    Anyhow enjoy your visit to Clonlara, its an interesting place with an equally interesting history.
    The canals are interesting and the falls of Doonass is worth a visit, as are the cemetries.
    The Church of Ireland (Anglican) is a beautiful building but I'm not sure when its open, if ever.
    On a fine day it would worth it walking the Lough Derg way from the city out to O'Briensbridge through Clonlara.

Actually it turns out, one of the locals went at it with a marker which gives the impression of it being restored.
    Anyhow enjoy your visit to Clonlara, its an interesting place with an equally interesting history.
    The canals are interesting and the falls of Doonass is worth a visit, as are the cemetries.
    The Church of Ireland is a beautiful building but I'm not sure when its open, if ever.
    On a fine day it would worth it walking the Lough Derg way from the city out to O'Briensbridge through Clonlara.

I'm sure that the area is fantastic and is worth a visit, just like many other places in Ireland.
    I know that area rather well. Three months ago I was very close to Clonlara, I visited Killaloe. I also stayed in Mountshannon further north on the Lough. I know O'Briensbridge, and many of the town and villages around there. I don't rule out the possibility that I drove through Clonlara in the past.
    Unfortunately, though my username may say otherwise, as you can see from my signature and my profile to the left of the post, I don't live in Ireland. I have to wait several months before I (and my wife) will be able to make another trip (this would be the 18th) to your wonderful country.
    I will add the place to my list.
    Thanks a million! ;)

• Advertisement

I'm sure that the area is fantastic and is worth a visit, just like many other places in Ireland.
    I know that area rather well. Three months ago I was very close to Clonlara, I visited Killaloe. I also stayed in Mountshannon further north on the Lough. I know O'Briensbridge, and many of the town and villages around there. I don't rule out the possibility that I drove through Clonlara in the past.
    Unfortunately, though my username may say otherwise, as you can see from my signature and my profile to the left of the post, I don't live in Ireland. I have to wait several months before I (and my wife) will be able to make another trip (this would be the 18th) to your wonderful country.
    I will add the place to my list.
    Thanks a million! ;)

Very welcome, enjoy your trip. The good thing about Clonlara is its proximity to Limerick which is also well worth visiting.
    It would worth a cycle from O'Briensbridge to Clonlara down to the footbridge to Castleconnell and back to O'Briensbridge.

Very welcome, enjoy your trip. The good thing about Clonlara is its proximity to Limerick which is also well worth visiting.
    It would worth a cycle from O'Briensbridge to Clonlara down to the footbridge to Castleconnell and back to O'Briensbridge.

It's all down to the weather I could find when visiting there... Because we're on holiday and the time available is limited, we have to rely on a good day if we want to explore a lot :)
    I will keep those tips in mind...
    Oh God, it's a long time until next June... :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

It's a pretty covered cycle so it shouldn't be a problem with rain

Advertisement