Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore guide

Options
  • 09-10-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Where can I get a bore guide to suit a Cz 455 .22. I ordered one from intershoot along with some cleaning gear but they ran out of bore guides and won't have anymore for a while. Tried searching the web but can't find anything locally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Brownells UK have them but you'll have to get them shipped to Parcel Motel in the North and then on down here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tannyoky guns in the North (just outside Newry in Ponytzpass) are agents for Brownells and i've ordered stuff from Brownells directly through them. If they don't have it in stock they usually get it within a week (depending on availability) and over the years of getting to know the lads i've paid them on the phone and they post it down. They regularly sell guns to lads in the South (and deal with all paperwork).

Give them a ring on 048 38318308. Ask for Gavin, Jim or Cecil. Decent blokes and a great selection of gear.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Be careful of universal bore guides. I have one and it works the finest on most guns. However it never worked on my CZ rimfire.

Some bore guides are specifically designed for the rifle make. IOW Anschutz, CZ, etc. due to the shape and design of the action.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks all. I have seen plenty of the universal bore guides but I'd rather stick to a specific type suitable for my rifle.

• Advertisement

Let me know where you get your as I could do with getting one for my CZ455 .22

Strider wrote: »
    Brownells UK have them but you'll have to get them shipped to Parcel Motel in the North and then on down here.

Brownells only seem to have guides to suit 452. Will this fit a 455 ?

From what I've seen on the net is should.

Looking at brownells USA website it says the 452 and 455 bore guides are not compatible. The search goes on !!!

Do you really want to pay €38 from Brownells in the UK anyway. Stupid money for piece of plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

When I got a HMR I didn't have a boreguide that fitted. Plus, the ProShot rod is really skinny and quite flexible. In the absence of a boreguide I slipped a plastic rawlplug on the rod, when using the rod just start the jag/mop then push the rawlplug behind it in the chamber. This keeps the rod from wobbling about in the chamber. It's better than nothing for the time being
    Also know a lad that swears by a spent shotgun cartridge with the primer drilled out, seems to work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

You can order a bore guide for your cz from www.loweyproducts.com
    I got a couple for a sako quad and a Anschutz 1710 and they are really good.

Got a mail back from Lowey's today.

Our CZ products and AUD prices are:
    $40.00 – Bolt Protector
    $25.00 – Cleaning Rod Guide (.17 or .22)
    $20.00 – Single shot adapter
    $20.00 – Trigger shim & spring kit

Postage of any/all of the above items, to Ireland, would be AUD$24.00. We accept Paypal for all international orders.

@Luckysasha
    If you're interested in ordering one from Lowey's we could just order a couple save on the shipping. I need on for .22LR and will probably get a 17HMR also

There is obviously a market for these in Ireland if they are hard to come by. Maybe someone on here who has a connection to a RFD or gun shop would consider importing a box of these for sale to all us .22 owners

I've ordered a .22LR and .17HMR from AUS

Will you let me know how you get on with it. I was in clarkes in Navan yesterday and the guy there was telling me there is not much call for them that's why places won't stock them. Obviously we know better

To be honest I normally just run a boresnake down the barrel every 300-400 rounds and give the bolt and breech a bit of a clean each time I shoot.

Just getting the bore guides for the rare time I have to give it a good clean. Plus I seem to have cause some bug related to firearms, can't get enough :):)

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Will you let me know how you get on with it. I was in clarkes in Navan yesterday and the guy there was telling me there is not much call for them that's why places won't stock them. Obviously we know better

PSXDupe wrote: »
    To be honest I normally just run a boresnake down the barrel every 300-400 rounds and give the bolt and breech a bit of a clean each time I shoot.
    Sacrilege!!!! :eek:

Get the bore snake, find the nearest ditch and throw as hard as you can. Then shoot it to make sure it doesn't follow you home. :D

They are less than an adequate cleaning tool. They, to me, are the absolute last resort and ONLY then in an emergency. They don't clean, they collect fouling as you run them down the bore, and cannot give any firearm the cleaning it needs regardless of whether it's a light or deep cleaning.

Please, for the sake of your rifle, use the bore guide and buy a good quality one piece rod.

I have a one piece rod and brushes, mop etc for the .22 just found the boresnake handy to use when leaving the range and the bore is spotless from what I can see.

The last time I used to rod/brushes I got pretty much nothing on the patches. I assumed the boresnake was doing a decent job at keeping the barrel clean.

Cass wrote: »
    Sacrilege!!!! :eek:

Get the bore snake, find the nearest ditch and throw as hard as you can. Then shoot it to make sure it doesn't follow you home. :D

They are less than an adequate cleaning tool. They, to me, are the absolute last resort and ONLY then in an emergency. They don't clean, they collect fouling as you run them down the bore, and cannot give any firearm the cleaning it needs regardless of whether it's a light or deep cleaning.

Please, for the sake of your rifle, use the bore guide and buy a good quality one piece rod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone recommend a decent one piece rod and brush set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

@cass would you use a boresnake for the shot tie or do you complete disregard them. I've used them in the 12g for years.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    I have a one piece rod and brushes, mop etc for the .22 just found the boresnake handy to use when leaving the range and the bore is spotless from what I can see.
    All it does is pull out the heavy fouling. Lead, copper, carbon etc are still there only you cannot see it.

Plus the bore snake because of it's design "embeds" the fouling into the body fo the pull through, collects on the bristles of the "brush" section. You cannot use a solvent or other cleaning product with the snake and each time you pas the snake through you're pulling the previous crap you removed back in through the bore.
    The last time I used to rod/brushes I got pretty much nothing on the patches. I assumed the boresnake was doing a decent job at keeping the barrel clean.
    With a rod and patches you have a clean patch each time, the solvent is removing the unseen fouling (which accounts for the majority of the fouling) and once you wipe the rod after each pass through the gun there is no"re-depositing" of fouling.

Just my opinion.
    hexosan wrote:
    @cass would you use a boresnake for the shot tie or do you complete disregard them. I've used them in the 12g for years.
    I completely disregard them. I have a couple that i bought years and years ago. I know some say they use one or keep one for emergency situations in the field, and it's why i bought mine, but if the barrel is so badly "plugged" with dirt that you need a bore snake to remove the blockage or fouling then a bore snake won't do the job.

If it's for a quick clean then you're firing so many rounds that the gun is rapidly building up fouling and as such accuracy (with rifles) will start to waiver. In such a case a bore snake will not give an adequate clean for the reasons outlined above.

Look, it's only my opinion. I know that use then infrequently, regularly, and solely. It's each persons own decision, but as a cleaning tool, on it's own, with no others rods, jags, etc. i think it is wholly inadequte for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Try a 20 guage shotgun case with the primer pushed out, it works fine for my cz.

I'm actually getting quite confused as to how the bore guide helps you clean the barrel. Does the bore guide actually enter the barrel thus protecting the face. Or is the bore guide simply to protect the trigger mechanism and ejector while pushing the rod through where the bolt normally sits. I have heard the suggestion of using a spent shotgun case drilled out to take the rod which would lead me to believe the bore guide is more to protect the mechanism on the way through. Surely if the bore guide protrudes into the barrel it would leave it too narrow to get a cleaning patch in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The bore guide stops solvent etc. getting into the action and supports the rod to stop it bending in the barrel and causing wear on the rifling.

Rimfire bore guides don't enter the chamber, they just butt up to the chamber face.

Ah ok that clears that up thanks Strider. Ok I have the perfect thing then. It's a piece of 1/2 inch qual-pex. I tried it earlier. It slips in neatly through the bolt housing and sits against the chamber face. I put tape on it to widen it out to the diameter of the bolt so it stays steady. Only thing I wasn't sure of was if it was supposed to enter the barrel but now I know.

Strider has covered it nicely. It serves more than one purpose and the really good ones will prevent the solvents dripping back into the action and trigger mechanisms. It's why, and no offence intended, i wouldn't use any DIY methods as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Strider has covered it nicely. It serves more than one purpose and the really good ones will prevent the solvents dripping back into the action and trigger mechanisms. It's why, and no offence intended, i wouldn't use any DIY methods as mentioned above.

Cass , two questions , (1) what do you think of other pull throughs like patchworm for instance ? And (2) some say that the cz .22 bore is very tight and recommend a .17 cleaning rod instead of the .22 , what do you think ? Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Cass , two questions , (1) what do you think of other pull throughs like patchworm for instance ? And (2) some say that the cz .22 bore is very tight and recommend a .17 cleaning rod instead of the .22 , what do you think ? Thanks !

Advertisement