Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

clawback07 wrote: »
    (1) what do you think of other pull throughs like patchworm for instance ?
    A sight bit better than a bore snake. The nylon material won't "harm" the bore, the felts and patches mean you can apply a solvent and remove the fouled patch whereas with a boresnake you cannot. All in all much better than a noresnake but personally i'd stick with a good rod and jags.
    (2) some say that the cz .22 bore is very tight and recommend a .17 cleaning rod instead of the .22 , what do you think ? Thanks !
    The variance is so small between the .17 and .22 that you could use a .17 rod and jags. If you find it's a little loose simply use a larger patch.

I've heard the same complaint, but when i've tried the persons rifle i found the rod they are using is a cheaper/generic one. You know the ones, "Designed to fit X caliber to Y caliber". I always, or whenever possible, go for a caliber specific rod.

Hoppes are terrible for this. Their .25 cal rod was tight as sin in my .243 to the point where i could not get the rod down the bore with a jag & patch on. Without any attachments i could, but it was still a struggle. When i checked the coating they applied to the body of the rod to prevent damage to the rifle it seemed too thick. I thought it was a lemon of a rod, but when i went back to the shop all of them were the same.

If looking for a set up go with:
    • Bore-Tech
    • Dewey
    • ProShot
    • Tipton
    • Hoppes

In that order. If you cannot get one go the next one down.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's recommended that you use a .20cal rod because the ejector in the CZ sticks up across the bore axis and the thin rod helps to avoid it. The barrel in the CZ is not tighter than any other .22.

I use a .22 rod in a CZ but you have to lay a patch over the ejector even with a bore guide or the ejector will ruin the rod.

Strider wrote: »
    The barrel in the CZ is not tighter than any other .22.
    Exactly.

Same applies to any rifle of any caliber. The chamber might be tighter or cut with a match reamer as opposed to a standard reamer, but the bore has to be a specific diameter to allow the (factory) ammo to work in them all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I use a bore tech 20 Cal rod for cleaning my 22lr.
    I have heard that 22 rimfire bores are tighter than 22 centre fire bores.
    Bore tech make a 22 rimfire rod with a diameter of .195 inches and their 22 centre fire rod has a diameter of .205 inches.
    I have always found it a bit of a pain cleaning rimfire bores but the lowey bore guide makes it so much easier and I highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Spoke to intershoot ant their telling me it will be early December when their getting a delivery of bore guides for Cz .22 rifles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

I got trigger spring kits and bore guides for cz445 from yodaveproducts. Think they are Canadian. Can't remember prices but wasn't any dearer than others

Thanks for that eoin.d Just ordered one from yodave. €27 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

Glad you got sorted. They work very well

Ok forgive my ignorance please. I received my bore guide in the post today. So naturally enough I tried it out in my Cz 455. To me it seems like the only way it fits properly is upside down. I can only see the cleaning rod entering the barrel if I look through the magazine slot. I would have thought the relief in the bore guide would line up with the bolt housing for introducing oil and solvents. Can someone please put me out of my misery

It's right. You don't need to see the rod go into the bore, that is what the bore guides job is. You apply the solvent to the patch/felt before it goes into the guide.

The "slot" faces down into the mag well (with the mag removed) so any excess will fall into that rather than into the trigger mechanism or "spray" into the upper side of the action by having it pointing upward.

As you noted it's why they only fit one way.

You can buy bore guides with solvent ports on them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Cass.That saves a lot of head scratching.

Advertisement