Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Phones in Ireland ??

Options
  • 09-10-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Why are Blackberry phones no longer for sale in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

They were never hugely popular in Ireland but most of those who did have them have moved on to iPhones and Android devices.

Although I personally believe that the current BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10, is a great OS it suffers from the lack of native apps. Ultimately I think that severely wounded BlackBerry and caused its demise in countries like Ireland.

You can pick up BlackBerry 10 devices and indeed some legacy OS devices second hand on the like of adverts.ie and donedeal. A good place for new devices is Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Thanks, I will look on Amazon.

Apps won't bother me, but I do want to read emails and I want a physical keyboard.

Satts wrote: »
    Thanks, I will look on Amazon.

Apps won't bother me, but I do want to read emails and I want a physical keyboard.

I have a BlackBerry Q10 which was the first BlackBerry 10 device with a keyboard. It's my daily driver and overall an excellent device. The BlackBerry Classic is a later current keyboard device with a slightly bigger screen and keyboard but similar specs otherwise. The BlackBerry Passport is the current keyboard flagship. Reviews of it have been very positive in the main however the shape is slightly unconventional. If you can wait a few weeks/months there is a BlackBerry device being launched that's running Android called the Priv. I wouldn't not recommend purchasing any BlackBerry devices running the older operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I have a BlackBerry Q10 which was the first BlackBerry 10 device with a keyboard. It's my daily driver and overall an excellent device. The BlackBerry Classic is the current keyboard flagship with a slightly bigger screen but similar specs otherwise. If you can wait a few weeks/months there is a BlackBerry device being launched that's running Android called the Priv. I wouldn't not recommend purchasing any BlackBerry devices running the older operating systems.

The Priv looks interesting, full screen, but still has keyboard.

The classic size maybe more descreet for my work place.

Satts wrote: »
    The Priv looks interesting, full screen, but still has keyboard.

The classic size maybe more descreet for my work place.

I forgot about the Passport in my previous post. Take a look at that too. It's size and form is not for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The passport is one super phone,only the shape might put you off,the new classic also good and then the leap which is a touch screen only.the OS has much improved and I am looking forward to the next instalment from BlackBerry.
    http://www.currys.ie/action/searchsite/blackberry

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Had a Z10, but BB have no service options here. Thankfully Amazon refunded full price. Great phone, but nowhere to go when it goes wrong.

You can send to UK, not ideal but it's an option. Hopefully with the priv things change.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Had a Z10, but BB have no service options here. Thankfully Amazon refunded full price. Great phone, but nowhere to go when it goes wrong.

By no service options here, do you mean they can't be repaired or they won't work?

Given the number of multinationals based it here, this would seem to be a serious drawback. BB may no longer be a consumer phone but some businesses need it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

By no service options here, do you mean they can't be repaired or they won't work?

Given the number of multinationals based it here, this would seem to be a serious drawback. BB may no longer be a consumer phone but some businesses need it.

I could find no-one in Ireland to repair under warranty. Amazon couldn't either and refunded in total. Pity, it was a lovely phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shawnxxiong

Patww79 wrote: »

It's been tagged 700 dollar in the states, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's been tagged 700 dollar in the states, not worth it.

What makes it not worth it? The Nexus 6P is the same price, and Apple devices cost even more.

Its a very interesting device and you get a lot for your money in fairness.

Personally I'm very interested in the device but will not pay that kind of money for any phone. The cost is very likely to fall some months from now and I intend to pick one up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shawnxxiong

Techmaster wrote: »
    What makes it not worth it? The Nexus 6P is the same price, and Apple devices cost even more.

Its a very interesting device and you get a lot for your money in fairness.

I agree with you it's an interesting device, was a fan of physical keyboard meself. But I wouldn't buy any phone at that price be it iphone, nexus, samsung, or bb.

All networks here really need to consider the PRIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I have a Blackberry Z10 for over three years now and I'm hanging onto it for dear life because I reckon they'll be completely obsolete here in ireland soon.
    Shame really, I've always loved Blackberrys and I really fancy this latest one....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I have a Blackberry Z10 for over three years now and I'm hanging onto it for dear life because I reckon they'll be completely obsolete here in ireland soon.
    Shame really, I've always loved Blackberrys and I really fancy this latest one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You can always import one.

Been using the Priv a few weeks and its really nice but the price is way too high. Though they have a sale on now giving some accessories thrown in its still highly priced. But it's really standing out from bog standard device's out there and turns heads.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Been using the Priv a few weeks and its really nice but the price is way too high. Though they have a sale on now giving some accessories thrown in its still highly priced. But it's really standing out from bog standard device's out there and turns heads.

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop later this year and I'm going to grab one then. Would love one now but no way could I justify the current price.

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop later this year and I'm going to grab one then. Would love one now but no way could I justify the current price.

Agreed they could have been a bit more aggressive with pricing

Its said to be a priv with no slider but cheaper specs etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Miss my BlackBerry. The OS wasn't perfect, but it really suited me and the hardware was great. Quality build and the keyboards trump anything apple or android have ever produced

Its got a permanent physical keyboard alright

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    Miss my BlackBerry. The OS wasn't perfect, but it really suited me and the hardware was great. Quality build and the keyboards trump anything apple or android have ever produced

I also use the passport silver edition it really is a powerhouse and the battery life is amazing,I use to slate BlackBerry big time until the first passport came out and got to try it out i was shocked,Albeit a little awkward to hold if you have small hands its great and you can sideload android apps onto it.

Advertisement