Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mon - Fri rental

Options
  • 09-10-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All

I posted about this two yrs ago and decided against. However I am considering renting out the spare room in my house on a part time basis.

Would anyone be able to tell me their experiences?? was it a good / bad idea?

Do many people require just renting Mon - Fri??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

kellyshell wrote: »
    Hi All

I posted about this two yrs ago and decided against. However I am considering renting out the spare room in my house on a part time basis.

Would anyone be able to tell me their experiences?? was it a good / bad idea?

Do many people require just renting Mon - Fri??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Is it near a location where somebody might be working away from home Mon-Fri?

The key to success seems to be getting the ground rules established straight off, e.g. guests staying over, use of communal areas, washing/drying, mealtimes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

If you're in a central location would air bnb may be more lucrative

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Its a great location..................Dublin 8 Inchicore / Kilmainham area. Luas and bus literally one minute walk from the house.

it would be a double roomed, shared bathroom with one other and use of kitchen. Sitting room is small but no problem with them using it.

Gmaximum wrote: »
    If you're in a central location would air bnb may be more lucrative

Pls excuse my ignorance when I ask how that works. First I heard of it was today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Pls excuse my ignorance when I ask how that works. First I heard of it was today!

It might be, but you would be liable for tax and it can be a lot more hassle than someone you get to know. That said you might make some great friends etc. etc. or so the ad goes.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at airbnb.......not for me. It would be like using the house as a business and think I would rather one person than lots of different people.

Thanks for the suggestion Gmaximum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Its a great location..................Dublin 8 Inchicore / Kilmainham area. Luas and bus literally one minute walk from the house.

it would be a double roomed, shared bathroom with one other and use of kitchen. Sitting room is small but no problem with them using it.

Given the number of people working in Dublin Mon-Fri during the week I'd say you'd have a significant addressible market then.

Limit for Rentaroom relief is 12k a year all-inclusive.

Also check your house insurance.

Also check your house insurance.[/quote]

Thanks For the response.......confused as to why I should check house insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Also check your house insurance.

Thanks For the response.......confused as to why I should check house insurance?

Liability for the tenenat sticking a folk in the toaster and injuring themselves or a paying guest setting the place on fire or robbing you blind, would you be covered.

haha thanks for clearing that up! if I decide to go ahead with renting I will make sure I update the insurance...ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There is a snag with rent a room scheme in that if you go over the threshold by any amount you are liable for tax on the whole amount. Make sure you stay below the 12k limit even if this means foregoing rent for some time or pitching it below 1k per month no matter what the market conditions allow.

thanks doolox.....

Because I am planning on renting out just mon-fri I was thinking off alot less than a 1000E a month. Am I right in thinking the 12k a yr is to include bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You're probably more suited to offering digs to a student Mon to Friday.
    Breakfast and maybe dinner though there is the option to say they have their dinner in college.

You're probably more suited to offering digs to a student Mon to Friday.
    Breakfast and maybe dinner though there is the option to say they have their dinner in college.

Lot of extra work in that. Professional working mon-fri and returning to family at weekends would be a far better opinion imo.

I'd imagine there is plenty of scope for finding someone like that. They mightn't even stay the full week, often people go home a night during the week too (obviously charge for the week tough).

Lot of extra work in that. Professional working mon-fri and returning to family at weekends would be a far better opinion imo.

I'd imagine there is plenty of scope for finding someone like that. They mightn't even stay the full week, often people go home a night during the week too (obviously charge for the week tough).

Yeh I would much rather a professional and stay away from students.....I am just hoping there is some demand for a mon to fri rental.

Thanks for all the responses and any tips on what should be put into lease would be appreciated.

Thanks again

I'm pretty sure you will find someone, maybe not as quick as a normal 7 day rent a room but if you price it to reflect the fact it's 5 days there will be people bound to be interested as they are making a saving on paying for a room elsewhere and as they go home every weekend it's waste for them paying more elsewhere.

If I were renting a room myself (need to buy a house first :)) I think I'd be tempted to go down a similar route as I'd like the house to myself at weekends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't rule out students. You can set your own rules. If you want them gone by 10am Friday and not back til 10pm Sunday, put that in the conditions. Provide a breakfast of cereal, toast, OJ and tea or coffee and they look after themselves for lunch or dinner - using or not using your kitchen. Your house, your rules. You'd be surprised what restrictions people set and put up with.

Yeh definitely Dont want to do a full rental.....love lazy wkends to much :) I will put the feelers out and hopefully I get someone. Price will include bills and wifi.

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out students. You can set your own rules. If you want them gone by 10am Friday and not back til 10pm Sunday, put that in the conditions. Provide a breakfast of cereal, toast, OJ and tea or coffee and they look after themselves for lunch or dinner - using or not using your kitchen. Your house, your rules. You'd be surprised what restrictions people set and put up with.

I'll check it out and see if anyone bites! thanks :)

Yeh definitely Dont want to do a full rental.....love lazy wkends to much :) I will put the feelers out and hopefully I get someone. Price will include bills and wifi.

Throw up an ad on daft (only costs a few quid) and make it very clear it's Monday to Friday only. Are you open to people coming back Sunday night or would you only want people arriving Monday after work? Realistically you will probably have to allow people stay Sunday night if they want.

• Advertisement

I could deal with them arriving back after 9 sunday evening just not in the afternoon. I really want the house to myself at the weekends. Iv had a look on daft at rentals in the area and i would easily get 600e a month + bills not inc. but have not seen any part time rentals. I have two more wks of decorqting to be done and then i will throw up and ad.

Thanks everyone you're all very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I could deal with them arriving back after 9 sunday evening just not in the afternoon. I really want the house to myself at the weekends. Iv had a look on daft at rentals in the area and i would easily get 600e a month + bills not inc. but have not seen any part time rentals. I have two more wks of decorqting to be done and then i will throw up and ad.

Thanks everyone you're all very helpful :)

Are you comparing like with like? €600 plus bills seems very high if they can't come back until after 9pm Sunday night.

Are you comparing like with like? €600 plus bills seems very high if they can't come back until after 9pm Sunday night.

Sorry.......what I was supposed to say was i will have to work out how much to charge for a five day wk if 600+bills is for a full month :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't bother with a lease but would draw up a clear set of ground rules on what you will and won't be allowing.

Will do thanks. I have read up on a few threads here so I should have few ideas of what rules to have. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

There won't be as much demand for 5 day renting at this time of year, especially not from students as it tends to be first year students that go for digs, and a huge amount of them drop out of college around this time leading to a lot more availability of rooms and digs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seeing that 600 a month will get a full houseshare in better areas Ithink 450 at most a month is realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You may not be able to target the professional with a family outside of Dublin. Most people I know in that situation like the convenience of a 7-day rental so the odd weekend they can stay up and even bring the family up. 5 day rental with no weekend flexibility or space for the family when required will be attractive to students and the first time employed only.

That said, I don't think you'll find it difficult to find someone. Plenty of people come on here looking for this and they usually get turned towards B&B's.

omicron wrote: »
    There won't be as much demand for 5 day renting at this time of year, especially not from students as it tends to be first year students that go for digs, and a huge amount of them drop out of college around this time leading to a lot more availability of rooms and digs.

With such a shortage of places to stay these days and the high cost I really do think a reduced price 5 day rental would appeal to those with families down the country and working in Dublin. You might have to put up with a turn over of people every 6 months say possibly less or more but I do think people will be found.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Seeing that 600 a month will get a full houseshare in better areas Ithink 450 at most a month is realistic

In fairness the op said that's what rooms in house shares are going for and she would have to revise it for a 5 day week.

• Advertisement

there are some places going for 600E in the area for a five day wk but i think its expensive. I was thinkng maybe 500 a month, that includes bins, bills and unlimited wifi.

I really do appreciate all the advise.

Also the house maybe dublin 8 but its a really nice quiet part :)

Advertisement