Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mon - Fri rental

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kellyshell wrote: »
    there are some places going for 600E in the area for a five day wk but i think its expensive. I was thinkng maybe 500 a month, that includes bins, bills and unlimited wifi.

I really do appreciate all the advise.

Also the house maybe dublin 8 but its a really nice quiet part :)

500 sounds right especially with all of the bills I think.

There are plenty of nice parts of Dublin 8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Stheno wrote: »
    500 sounds right especially with all of the bills I think.

There are plenty of nice parts of Dublin 8 :)

There is indeed Stheno.........opinions of this area make me laugh sometimes!

thanks again!

It is a double room with wardrobe and dresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

When you say 5 day week do they have to clear out at the weekend or can they leave their stuff in the room?

When you say 5 day week do they have to clear out at the weekend or can they leave their stuff in the room?

They Could leave stuff there, room would not be used wt the wkend. I just want to have the house for me wt the wkend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where would you advertise this type of let?

• Advertisement

There is a website getdigs.ie or daft......I don't know of any other websites :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Daft is the main website for property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

DAFT.ie is free for shares.

Up on daft in the sharing section and just specify in the text that it's 5 day only.
    DAFT.ie is free for shares.

I had to pay when advertising rooms with pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I had to pay when advertising rooms with pictures.

That's weird, I don't have to.

• Advertisement

That's weird, I don't have to.

Did it change recently? It's been a while since I put up the ad myself for a vacant room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did it change recently? It's been a while since I put up the ad myself for a vacant room.

I've just filled a room using Daft and advertising sharing there (and on myhome.ie) is free. Beware though, most people who reply don't actually read the ad text. My ad clearly stated no couples yet I got loads of replies from couples trying to rent the room.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've just filled a room using Daft and advertising sharing there (and on myhome.ie) is free. Beware though, most people who reply don't actually read the ad text. My ad clearly stated no couples yet I got loads of replies from couples trying to rent the room.

I will keep that in mind thanks!!
    Hopefully it works out and I get someone kinda normal :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For students, there's also this site: http://www.collegecribs.ie/

Have a read of some of the ads and you can see the restrictions people place (and accept).

spurious wrote: »
    For students, there's also this site: http://www.collegecribs.ie/

Have a read of some of the ads and you can see the restrictions people place (and accept).

Thanks for that Spurious!

There are quite a number of restrictions and at a high price!!

some people are charging €700 a month inc. breakfast and dinner so my €500 a month seems very reasonable. I am not aiming towards students though, I would rather a professional.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Everlong1

athtrasna wrote: »

This. I'm in a similar situation. Have stated clearly in the ad that I'm seeking Monday - Friday only but besieged with foreign students who clearly aren't reading the ad.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    This. I'm in a similar situation. Have stated clearly in the ad that I'm seeking Monday - Friday only but besieged with foreign students who clearly aren't reading the ad.

Everlong, have you had the room advertised long? Besides the foreign students, have you had much interest? Is your place in a well sought after area? Sorry about all the questions!!:p

kellyshell wrote: »
    Everlong, have you had the room advertised long? Besides the foreign students, have you had much interest? Is your place in a well sought after area? Sorry about all the questions!!:p

I've had it up for almost a month. Not a huge amount of interest from students as such. Place is between Inchicore and Ballyfermot. Looking for €100 a week. The other annoying thing I've had is people saying they'll come to view and then not turning up.

I've just realised as well that my ad, which is on Daft, is being copied automatically to Rent.ie but the format is altered slightly - the text about Monday to Friday is buried a bit which might explain why I'm getting so many people looking for the full week rental.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I've had it up for almost a month. Not a huge amount of interest from students as such. Place is between Inchicore and Ballyfermot. Looking for €100 a week. The other annoying thing I've had is people saying they'll come to view and then not turning up.

Looks like we may be in competition with each other :D

I will make sure to put the Mon-Fri info in capitals! hopefully people read the advert fully. It must be annoying getting calls when people don't know the full details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My sister does this, it works out really well for her. She lives near the IFSC so has rented out the spare room to a couple of professionals who only use it a couple of days a week. Gets nearly full rent for it too.

My sister does this, it works out really well for her. She lives near the IFSC so has rented out the spare room to a couple of professionals who only use it a couple of days a week. Gets nearly full rent for it too.

Thanks for that.

Has she a set list of rules she sticks with?? Does she allow full use of her home or just certain rooms?

OP I know you're just putting the feelers out and trying to get an idea but please be a bit careful in regard to working out if this is for you. It's perfectly reasonable, right and sensible to set down a set of rules. However trying to limit use of the property and doing anything more than limiting to five days a week has the potential to create real friction.

Tenants pay a lot of money, have very few rights and both parties rely on goodwill. While setting down the ground rules is an excellent idea, keep it simple and realise if you're sharing that's what you have to do. I know for a fact there are LLs out there who resent sharing, it comes across and they usually end up with the tenant they deserve.

My tenant is 7 days but works the weekends, we allow overnight guests 1 night a week but he can 'bank' these e.g. a whole week every 7 weeks. He only uses down stairs but come up for a shower, to be fair this isn't a rule other than he has, and cleans the downstairs WC - we rarely use it. The rest of it is entirely down to him, e.g. no problems having friends over, use the garden/BBQ, livingroom etc. He's a lovely lad that has everything in his room* and spends 90% of his time in there.Hardly notice that he's here. Conversely my wife had a 'friend' who imposed all sorts of rules and ended up with a wagon who used to frequently 'make a point of things'.

*€15 a month for a Sky box (less for other providers) is a great investment for having no qualms about who picks what's on the telly in the livingroom. Can't argue if they have one in their room.

Hope some of that helps.

OP I know you're just putting the feelers out and trying to get an idea but please be a bit careful in regard to working out if this is for you. It's perfectly reasonable, right and sensible to set down a set of rules. However trying to limit use of the property and doing anything more than limiting to five days a week has the potential to create real friction.

Tenants pay a lot of money, have very few rights and both parties rely on goodwill. While setting down the ground rules is an excellent idea, keep it simple and realise if you're sharing that's what you have to do. I know for a fact there are LLs out there who resent sharing, it comes across and they usually end up with the tenant they deserve.

My tenant is 7 days but works the weekends, we allow overnight guests 1 night a week but he can 'bank' these e.g. a whole week every 7 weeks. He only uses down stairs but come up for a shower, to be fair this isn't a rule other than he has, and cleans the downstairs WC - we rarely use it. The rest of it is entirely down to him, e.g. no problems having friends over, use the garden/BBQ, livingroom etc. He's a lovely lad that has everything in his room* and spends 90% of his time in there.Hardly notice that he's here. Conversely my wife had a 'friend' who imposed all sorts of rules and ended up with a wagon who used to frequently 'make a point of things'.

*€15 a month for a Sky box (less for other providers) is a great investment for having no qualms about who picks what's on the telly in the livingroom. Can't argue if they have one in their room.

Hope some of that helps.

Oh believe me when I say I am laid back and am not a house rule Nazi that will torment the life and soul out of someone!!
    I am putting feelers out and trying to figure out what has worked best for people. Its a long time since I shared with anyone and just want to make sure that if I do go ahead with this that It will be as easy as possible.
    I will have no problem with them using the rooms of the house, it will be their home 5 days of the wk and UPC charge €5!!!

But thanks for the tips :)

Another couple of points friends of mine advised when I started that seemed to work well.

Don't use the money for day to day expenses - have a plan. Holiday, refurb of the home etc. Makes it much easier to remember why you're doing it. It also gives you a end game. Personally we're using the money for refurbing the house.

Go with your gut. If you get any sort of twinge about someone, don't rent to them. You'll know yourself how good a judge of character you are. You're sharing your space, make sure you're going to get along.

Get rid if it doesn't work out. Be as fair as you can, but as soon as liberties are taken, wave good bye. There was some story here a while back about the tenant borrowing back the deposit! :rolleyes: Obviously there will be the odd disagreement but don't entertain nonsense.

Best of luck.

Don't use the money for day to day expenses - have a plan. Holiday, refurb of the home etc.

Overpaying the mortgage would be the sort of thing I'd be thinking (for some of the money anyway), if you have a mortgage that is.

Again thanks for the tips MarkAnthony :) I am planning on using the money to part save and part pay off loan!! Want to do extensive work in 3yrs to house and need to start somewhere! I read the thread on the deposit! I am fair but not that fair! The more I research the more I am thinking it is the best option, if I don't like it I can give them notice to leave. Really appreciate all the help (I love boards)

Advertisement