Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using technology in the home

Options
  • 09-10-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Apologies if wrong forum.

I'm refurbishing and building an extension. I'd like to take this opportunity to include useful technology. I don't know much about it apart from hearing stories of controlling heating/lighting remotely and I haven't a clue how it all works:o.

Any suggestions that I could look into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Internet of Things (IoT) is going to be BIG in future homes. To get an idea see this....

http://mashable.com/2015/01/10/future-smart-home/#cmAJqClxROq.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I read it! Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Now I need specific doable suggestions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

tina1040 wrote: »
    I read it! Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Now I need specific doable suggestions!!

Check out LightwaveRF, available locally too.

Promo video HERE:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Check out LightwaveRF, available locally too.

Promo video HERE:

Lightwave is just a rehash of the "Homeeasy" range by byron from 10 years ago... all be it without the smartphone app.

We had a lot of Homeeasy kit in our house but found them after a while to be unreliable as transmitter remote wouldnt send commands, receivers sometimes wouldnt receive commands and the worst bit is that none of the dimming of lights work properly with anything other than normal incandescent bulbs.

The only bit of kit i still use today from it is gsm receiver and relay switch for turning on and off heating by text when away from the house during the winter.

I got the chance to see the lightwave demo display house at a convention in Birmingham NEC a couple of years ago, and on the two occasions we visited the house on the day, they had "technical issues" with some of the kit. Basically, it wouldnt respond.

Lightwave sockets and switches are overpriced for what they are. I wouldnt personally point anyone towards that line nowadays. The internet of things is only around the corner and the majority of those items will be wireless.

You are building an extension and refurbishing so plan for what you think you might need. Smart tv on the wall or on a unit? - are you going to connect it wireless or via cat cable? ceiling speakers for a sound system or bluetooth receiver? What sort of tech are you thinking OP?

Advertisement