Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hi lenny, I don't think I mentioned how perfect the weather was, It doesn't get much better! Well done on your pb, if im doing 5ks this time next year ill certainly do it again.

I done the shercock 5k yesterday and I had messaged them previous to ask was there many hills, they replied to say there was one hill. I was a bit skeptical but it turns out there's one hill but it's about 3k long!

tang1 wrote: »
    Worst of the hills in Navan are in the first half, two decent climbs in close succession. After its relatively flat and quick going.

Thanks tang that's good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Well done in the 5k Ivory tower. Looking at your 400m PB you've got real potential. Are you over 35 (Masters) yet? It takes a couple of years to get accustomed to training for that distance and reaching your potential but you have a very good base. Hope to see you in the track group soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Not running Louth XC senior next weekend?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Not running Louth XC senior next weekend?

Nope, I was only ever doing the novice, the "cc" training is just to get some fitness for the track in the new year. I was told if I wanted to race to stick with 5k(so I'm doing as many as possible!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Don't get caught up in that cross country for too long. Split 400s, 300 reps, 200s, 150s is the key to good 400m running, and over the winter lots of hills of 150-300 reps, and things like 500-400-300-200.

Hi Chivito, I believe the track work starts after the senior cross country next weekend. Can't wait, give me 200 meter reps over a 5 mile tempo everyday!

Tues - Pickups average 7.45 pace, ran with a slower group this week because I would only drop out if I ran with the cc group, felt nice to complete a tempo run! I should have ran with these from the start and I wouldn't have dropped out of so many runs

Wed -
    Roll & stretch

Thurs - 4 x 800 3.07, 2.57, 2.57, 2.56

The bull run 5k is on Sunday in Navan. Hopefully I can get a pb and that will set me up for a solid months training which WILL get me sub 20 at jingle bells! There's a pretty big hill at the end of the first km in Navan so i'm trying to decide what way to approach this race.

I guess the highlight of my week is that I haven't had any junk food other than some dark chocolate. No dairy choc, crisps, fizzies, fast food, cakes,ice cream, basically anything I eat too much of. I feel pretty good about it and confident I can keep it going. Next up is bringing my own lunch into work starting Monday. Lots of googling of work lunch ideas today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the sub 20.

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 20.

Thanks tang, appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Sunday

Navan Bull Run 5k

So I forgot to reset my garmin from last weeks race so it's only use was to tell me how far I had ran which was probably for the best anyway.

KM 1 & 2

You start by going downhill. I let the hill take me and of course ended up in 3rd going around the corner! Then down the road you go back up the hill, a bunch of about 5 lads passed me on it. It's not the worst hill, nice and early as well so you don't feel like you're killing yourself to get up it.

KM 3 - 5

Very flat and slightly downhill at times. Not being overly familiar with the streets of Navan the finish line took me a bit by surprise. I heard a crowd cheering so kicked on and next thing you know you come around the corner and it's all over! I looked up to see the clock and couldnt' believe it was sub 20 so gave it absolutely everything for the last 100. 19.44 PB, a very happy man.

Louth Senior Cross Country

Wow, what a buzz! This was my first time at a cc event(other than my half ass participating in novice). I see cross country in a completely different light now. There were so many duels going on it was brilliant to watch. It was also great to see so many track runners in the top 10, I would love to get involved next year. The guy from Dunleer who won it ran 32 min, 10k, on grass! My club won overall in both mens and womens so a great day for us. A few pints last night to celebrate and a nice little hangover to remind me why I don't miss drinking every weekend!

Tues

Not feeling the best, sore throat, man flu on route. No more Sunday pints, not worth it. Decided to do some 400s as I couldn't bear the thought of tempo run on my own with this dose.

I had the outside lane on the track and done 5 x 400 with 3-4 min breaks

74, 79, 79, 76, 72

I was thinking high 70's beforehand but it was a bit all over the place. The last lap felt the best of the lot! Probably wasn't warmed up enough.

Still dosed, managed 3 x 1000, 4.25. Packed it in on the 4th, should have done 800s or stayed in bed

Mile trial on tues so will only run the weekend if I feel a bit better

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Still dosed, managed 3 x 1000, 4.25. Packed it in on the 4th, should have done 800s or stayed in bed

Mile trial on tues so will only run the weekend if I feel a bit better

Better off not to be training when sick. You'll only make it worse. If you must do something then do light core work.

Doing sets of 800s instead of 1000s is not going to be any easier on the body, assuming the 800s would be run quicker than the 1000s.

You planning doing indoor season? Races most weekends in Athlone from early January to early March.

Hi Chivito, everyone in the club does the mile trial next week and then our training plans are given out the following week based on results and targets.

I've no idea how the indoors work. is there any point in going to Athlone if your pb is 58 sec? I'm assuming being in the senior category this would mean coming last. I suppose I have 2-3 months to get it down first but still be way off the mark

We have a few from the club heading down to your time trial next Thursday, haven't run a mile since February!

Good to hear pconn. It's usually free but I believe they're raising money for Irish cancer society next week so maybe have a few euros with you! I'll be there both Tues and Thurs. Most of our top group are running it on Thursday so you'll be in good company!

Well done in DKIT by the way, i'm sure it wasn't the result you were hoping for but that was still a great time for a 10k and on a tough grass course to boot. I'll hopefully do it next year, it was a great buzz to watch

Hi Chivito, everyone in the club does the mile trial next week and then our training plans are given out the following week based on results and targets.

I've no idea how the indoors work. is there any point in going to Athlone if your pb is 58 sec? I'm assuming being in the senior category this would mean coming last. I suppose I have 2-3 months to get it down first but still be way off the mark

Run your own race and don't worry about what others are doing. Regular racing experience is the way to improve, rather than ducking out of races out of fear.

Some indoor races you might have others around you. Things like Nationals is a different story. I personally wouldn't worry about it, and just get out and race.

That seems like good advice, i'll certainly have to try out a few races. Have you gone to many of the indoor races yourself? How did you find them in comparison to the outdoor events? Harder? I assume there's different tactics seen as there's 2 laps and lots of bends!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

There's usually a track meet in AIT before Christmas. They call it the 'baseline' event. Its usually odd distances like 150, 300 and 600m. Keep an eye on the club facebook page Ivorytower we usually get told about it beforehand. Its a good one to get a feel for the indoor track. Later in the season next year, Morton stadium, Tallaght and Irishtown have a graded track series with loads of distances to choose from. you'll get loads of experience before you hit Masters category!

• Advertisement

Good to hear pconn. It's usually free but I believe they're raising money for Irish cancer society next week so maybe have a few euros with you! I'll be there both Tues and Thurs. Most of our top group are running it on Thursday so you'll be in good company!

Well done in DKIT by the way, i'm sure it wasn't the result you were hoping for but that was still a great time for a 10k and on a tough grass course to boot. I'll hopefully do it next year, it was a great buzz to watch

Thanks, was happy with my run, 10k XC would not be my strong point (more of a miler like yourself). Disappointed with the team result but we lost two of our key guys in the few days before the race so our goosed was cooked.

Hope there are a few speedsters there Thursday, would like a good race.

I'd say there will be one or two lads close to 5 min. I'm aiming for 5.20 but if I get it on tues ill just watch on Thurs, see you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

There's usually a track meet in AIT before Christmas. They call it the 'baseline' event. Its usually odd distances like 150, 300 and 600m. Keep an eye on the club facebook page Ivorytower we usually get told about it beforehand. Its a good one to get a feel for the indoor track.

Think the Baseline Meet will be on Wednesday, 16 December this year. Should be more details on aitsport.ie.

Mile trial Tuesday 10/11/2015

Still feeling a bit under the weather but decided to go for it knowing I could always try again on Thurs night. The aim was 5.20 so 78sec per lap.

Went out way too fast, 70 sec first lap, game over man! It was a bit depressing cause I knew already I had messed it up, kept going and it got very painful. Funnily enough I was bang on time after 3rd lap ), 4 min, but the legs were wobbling from going out too fast. The last lap was like the last 100m of a 400m race, awful! Finished 5.26.

If I feel up to it ill try again on Thurs although the weather is supposed to be worse if that's possible!

Tough running a mile in that weather. Might give racing a miss on Thursday, not point flogging it in gale force winds. Could jog around with a few of our Fit4lifers who are going out to run.

Ah no you should do it! It's too much fun! I'd say once you get there you'll be mad to give it a shot.

Someone's car was broken into today so make sure you don't leave any valuables in car (although I believe someone is going to watch the car park on Thurs cause of it)

Mile trial Thursday 12th November

It was extremely windy and my legs ached from tues night but I was determined to get this pb. There was a 15 yr old who was aiming for 5.20 (yes a 15 yr old can pace properly and I can't!) So the plan was to stick with him. 2 laps in and legs were heavy but I felt I could keep up, they call out the time after each lap and he was pacing it perfectly. 3 laps done and I thought I could kick on from here, maybe even pass him put. Not a hope, legs were done, stumbled over the line in the end, not even a hint of a finishing sprint!

5.23, equals my pb, raging! Regretting my tues attempt even more now. Got home and was googling mile races between now and Christmas! My legs are a bit sore so will just do an easy run this weekend before picking it up again next tues.

Tues - 5 x 800 @ 2.55 Very windy night, struggled to finish the last lap but really enjoyed it

Thurs - 10 x 400 @ 80sec. I done the first 5@80, 6@90, skipped the 7th. Lap 8,9 & 10 @88. It was my first time doing a session like this, i'll judge it better next week and hopefully won't have to sit out a lap

Sat - Malahide parkrun. 2k warmup. 5k parkrun 20.38, added another 3-4k after the parkrun. I didn't race the parkrun, my legs were pretty tired from the off so I just kept what felt like a steady hard pace, but not uncomfortable. It's a nice run, very flat course as well

Sun - Gym - 10min threadmill warmup, light weights & core work 40min, 10min threadmill warm down.

Went up to watch the cross country in santry as we had a few memebrs running. It was great to watch but I can't say I envied them! I prefer the county cross country as you're more familiar with the athletes and the various battles that are ensuing.

Week ahead - I want to add some easy miles in and core work. Having missed a week or two in the gym it feels like i'm back to square one, sore legs and abs after minimal reps! Will aim to do some easy miles this evening and some core work in the morning before work. Even a few plank variations to get started.

What sort of group do you train with if you don’t mind me asking? Is it a sprint group, middle distance group, or everybody thrown in together in a one size fits all kind of thing?

Good training, but it’s not 400m training. The 400m is a sprint. An endurance sprint, but still a sprint. You want to be keeping in touch with top speed once a week, and speed endurance once a week. Endurance stuff (akin to what you are doing, but less reps and faster) is only needed once per week IMO. By reading this log, it appears you are training for the 1500/Mile. Is the 400m still the focus or are you taking a general approach to see what you enjoy most, before focusing on one area. Nothing wrong with trying many distances. Just pointing out that what you are doing is not remotely close to 400m training.

Keep up the hard training in any case, whatever distance you ultimately are after.

• Advertisement

The middle distance group at the moment, then in a few weeks i believe ill be doing 400 specific stuff from then on. I'm going to race the 800 as my secondary distance rather than the mile(but I will continue the mile trials because they're great fun!). The coach knows my goals and where I need to improve so I think I just need to be patient and do what I'm told :)

Advertisement