Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Leinster senior 400m

Combination of going out fast and legs being knackered from Thursday. Racing again next Sunday so will try pace it better and hopefully less tightness. First experience of lane 8, can't say it bothered me

Dublin graded 200m tallaght

Was looking forward to this as it was my first dublin graded and only second time running 200. Previous pb was 27 something so very soft. I was in lane 5 which was fine, running into slight breeze on back straight. It's all a bit of a blur but the plan was to come out hard for about half the curve then cruise until the straight, all went to plan, legs were giving way with about 20 to go but only really shaky for last 10. All us were together which was pretty cool, a close race, I think I came 3rd finising with a time of 25.43. Happy with that, pretty much what I expected anyway but at least I didn't made a balls of it! It puts in hindsight how fast I'm going for first 200m of 400m, too fast...Will have to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You're 200m time is almost exactly the 200m time I had when I ran sub 55. You have the speed for it no doubt. I think that's a clear sign that your speed endurance needs improving. Reps involving 150s, 200s and 300s at high intensity with good recovery will take care of that.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You're 200m time is almost exactly the 200m time I had when I ran sub 55. You have the speed for it no doubt. I think that's a clear sign that your speed endurance needs improving. Reps involving 150s, 200s and 300s at high intensity with good recovery will take care of that.

Thats good to hear Chivito, i have been doing a pyramid type session with them reps. Hopefully it improves, cant say im confident of the sub 56 after my last outing but have plenty of races in july to give it a stab

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Thats good to hear Chivito, i have been doing a pyramid type session with them reps. Hopefully it improves, cant say im confident of the sub 56 after my last outing but have plenty of races in july to give it a stab

6x150 off slow walk back recovery (4 mins or so)

5x200 off 6 mins recovery

3x300 off 10 mins recovery.

3x(300-45secs-100) off 7 mins

Those type of sessions will improve your speed endurance. At this point of the season the volume decreases and the intensity and recoveries increase. Sessions with short recoveries and jog recoveries are kept to a minimum at this point. There's a difference between endurance sessions and speed endurance.

• Advertisement

Ddac graded meet 400m

56.0, agonisingly close to 55!

I had low expectations going into this as I had a cold the previous week and my training has been a bit shaky for the last 2 weeks. When I realised the weather was good I knew I had to get a pb, might not get that weather again this year! There was a slight breeze is all which is great for such an open track.

The aim was 27 for first 200 and while I'm not sure I think I was pretty close. Its by far the strongest I've felt in the last 200 of a 400, it's a bit of a blur but I think the lactic only really kicked in with about 30m to go.I could see 55 as I was crossing so thought I had it! Afterwards i was no where near as wrecked as I usually am and I even managed to do a few 150s. Maybe I could have pushed a bit harder or maybe I'm getting a bit stronger. Either way plenty of positives to take. The winner ran 49 sec! winner of 800 last week was sub 2 in horrid weather, great to see such talent coming to our meets, new clubs arriving every time.

I won't reach the 54 this summer but a decent 55 is there hopefully. 3 races to go over the next few weeks finishing with the dublin graded at the start of august. I don't think there's anything after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

No need to stop in early August if you want a few more races and don't mind travelling about 90 minutes north from Drogheda!

I think there's a 400 scheduled in the North Down AC Open Meet in Bangor on Tuesday, 16 August, and there's also the Northern Ireland Team Trophy in Antrim on Saturday, 27 August.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    No need to stop in early August if you want a few more races and don't mind travelling about 90 minutes north from Drogheda!

I think there's a 400 scheduled in the North Down AC Open Meet in Bangor on Tuesday, 16 August, and there's also the Northern Ireland Team Trophy in Antrim on Saturday, 27 August.

Thanks Oiriallach thats good to know

Ddac graded meet 400m

56.0, agonisingly close to 55!

I had low expectations going into this as I had a cold the previous week and my training has been a bit shaky for the last 2 weeks. When I realised the weather was good I knew I had to get a pb, might not get that weather again this year! There was a slight breeze is all which is great for such an open track.

The aim was 27 for first 200 and while I'm not sure I think I was pretty close. Its by far the strongest I've felt in the last 200 of a 400, it's a bit of a blur but I think the lactic only really kicked in with about 30m to go.I could see 55 as I was crossing so thought I had it! Afterwards i was no where near as wrecked as I usually am and I even managed to do a few 150s. Maybe I could have pushed a bit harder or maybe I'm getting a bit stronger. Either way plenty of positives to take. The winner ran 49 sec! winner of 800 last week was sub 2 in horrid weather, great to see such talent coming to our meets, new clubs arriving every time.

I won't reach the 54 this summer but a decent 55 is there hopefully. 3 races to go over the next few weeks finishing with the dublin graded at the start of august. I don't think there's anything after that.

Sometimes the best races are the ones that feel the easiest, and the ones you don't feel too tired from. Just means you probably stayed relaxed and didn't "try too hard" and tense up.

Congrats on the PB.

Louth Championships 400m Senior

56.49 (56.46 is my official pb, 56.0 hand timed)

Didn't feel up for it, was very sleepy and I have pins and needles in my right leg since the race last week. I need to get more sleep over the next few weeks,get this leg sorted and then i'll have no excuses. I won't talk any more about the race cause it just annoys me!

• Advertisement

Louth Championships 400m Senior

56.49 (56.46 is my official pb, 56.0 hand timed)

Didn't feel up for it, was very sleepy and I have pins and needles in my right leg since the race last week. I need to get more sleep over the next few weeks,get this leg sorted and then i'll have no excuses. I won't talk any more about the race cause it just annoys me!

0.03 outside your PB ain't a bad result, particularly if feeling crap!

0.03 outside your PB ain't a bad result, particularly if feeling crap!

I just know that I'm fitter than I was back when I got the pb so it will bug the life out of me if I can't show it in a race!

I just know that I'm fitter than I was back when I got the pb so it will bug the life out of me if I can't show it in a race!

What were conditions like? Windy? Cool or warm?

What were conditions like? Windy? Cool or warm?

It was a a good night for a race, slight wind is all, it was only slightly better last week.

Now the pins and needles are gone I can see I have shin splints of some sort. Went for a jog on grass this morning and it gets quite sore pretty quick. Bad timing really but only a few weeks to go so will just have to push through it. I think my legs are finding first year of training in spikes tough and it seems to be taking its toll.

It was a a good night for a race, slight wind is all, it was only slightly better last week.

Now the pins and needles are gone I can see I have shin splints of some sort. Went for a jog on grass this morning and it gets quite sore pretty quick. Bad timing really but only a few weeks to go so will just have to push through it. I think my legs are finding first year of training in spikes tough and it seems to be taking its toll.

Bar of soap in the shower. Use it to massage up and down your shin. It works.

Will try that thanks

Dublin Graded 200m 21/07/2016

Another bad race but a nice evening at least. I blew up with about 50m to go which is poor really for a "400m" runner. Stuck to the plan of pushing hard for first 50m, cruising to the bend and pushing again. Exact same as the last 200m race I had but I only tied up for the last 10m then. I done 3 practice block starts + 100m the evening before and I actually had doms from it but i'm not sure how much I can blame on that, I think my legs are just knackered in general. The wind was a lot worse than the last time as well so my time may have been close enough to the previous effort (25.43) with better conditions.

Crap time aside, 200m is a cracking race and i'd say it will be as much a focus next season as anything I do.

Dublin Graded 200m 21/07/2016

Another bad race but a nice evening at least. I blew up with about 50m to go which is poor really for a "400m" runner. Stuck to the plan of pushing hard for first 50m, cruising to the bend and pushing again. Exact same as the last 200m race I had but I only tied up for the last 10m then. I done 3 practice block starts + 100m the evening before and I actually had doms from it but i'm not sure how much I can blame on that, I think my legs are just knackered in general. The wind was a lot worse than the last time as well so my time may have been close enough to the previous effort (25.43) with better conditions.

Crap time aside, 200m is a cracking race and i'd say it will be as much a focus next season as anything I do.

The lad who won our race in 24.64 ran 23.91 in Belfast last weekend (in perfect conditions), and he said he felt pretty good in the race last night. So that says it all about conditions last night. We got the roughest conditions of all the men's 200 races. At least the others got a tailwind in the straight. We had a headwind for the full 200!

That's good to know, makes me want another bash at it before season is over!

Le cheile Imc meet 400m

54.84!!!!

Boom!! Really didn't see that coming. Felt awful beforehand. Had about 4 hours sleep and could feel a strain in my right leg. My kid decided for the first time ever he would climb out of the cot, this was at 4am and I couldnt get back to sleep. So a mixture of nerves and sleepiness all day. I was in a mixed race in lane 6 while gillick & co were running in the A race. They called out the pbs beforehand so I knew I was in the middle somewhere anyway. When I arrived i already knew what lane I was in(Imc is great isnt it?!) so I could work out exactly where 50m was from start line as I tend to push for too long and the end of my race suffers as a result.

A few seconds after gun went I heard the commentator mention I had got out well. Soon as I hit 50m I cruised, felt myself slowing at 250 and picked it up a bit, I only really felt bad with maybe 30/40m to go and I handled it better than ever. Ciara mccallion from clonliffe in lane 5 was about a metre ahead of me for the last 80m and it seemed to drag me the whole way to the line.

Pconn told me after I ran 54 and I just told him I couldn't have, thatd I'd run 55 at very best. Turned out he had the time spot on, I've never been so happy after a race ha! I'm going to stop moaning about 400m now for a while the love is back.

I have 400m in tallaght on Wed and I feel the pressure is off so I'm just going to go enjoy it, see what happens. I have a break then for a few weeks but I'm thinking of finding an 800 somewhere or at least doing a time trial to see where I'm at.

Can't wait to do some mile and 5k races between now and Christmas, what a season :)

• Advertisement

Wow! Great time! Fantastic feeling when everything falls together like that. Ciara would have been the perfect person to drag you along too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Savage stuff H....delighted for you man.

Thanks lads here's the race if anyone wants a look, I'll embed it properly when I'm on the laptop

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zr-XWclVzU

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

You smashed it. Delighted for you. And I got a night in the ESB on the strength of it lol...happy coach ;-)

You smashed it. Delighted for you. And I got a night in the ESB on the strength of it lol...happy coach ;-)

Thanks casey! That's good to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

How did you get on in the 400m you mentioned you'd do onthe Wed after le chéile?

Great work this season though. Big improvements!!

How did you get on in the 400m you mentioned you'd do onthe Wed after le chéile?

Great work this season though. Big improvements!!

Wasn't worth mentioning, crazy winds, ran 56 something.

Thanks, very happy with how it went. 58 to 54 in a season yet if i was offered 53 pb next year id take it!

Oldbridge Parkrun 21.17 (Parkrun PB 21.11, 5k PB 19.45)

First week of XC training and i'm using the parkrun for my tempo. It was a bit of a shock to the system to run for longer than a couple of minutes but it's great to be back all the same. Nice change from the track. A group of 3 of us kept passing each other out which made for a laugh. Roll on next week.

XC week 2 oldbridge parkrun 21.12

XC week 3 oldbridge parkrun 20.51

Pacing still has a lot to be desired. Thinking of racing rathfarnam 5k next Sunday, see where I'm at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Thanks IT this log is brilliant and inspiring, have learned so much from reading through it

Advertisement