Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Thanks outland, nice to hear while also completely unexpected! I was reading back over it yesterday and it gave me a good laugh.

It made me realise it took a full year for me to really get to grips with it. I've even started eating half decent which I never thought would happen! So many sessions dropped out of, bad pacing, blowing up in races, staple diet of mcdonalds, about 4 weeks strength work. Now to do it all again a bit more clued in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Best of.luck and.looking forward to you posting some new pbs

Rathfarnham 5k - 20.46

Messed up the pacing. It's a really fast start, downhill with wind on back, was running 3.50km pace, I never adjusted my pace after the fast start so I probably ran the fastest 2k of my life followed by a tough 3k into the wind where I was trying to keep the pace around 4min, hit the wall then and just jogged to the line. Disappointing really, will see if there's any 5k races coming up so I can attempt to pace it a bit more sensibly.

Blah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Rathfarnham 5k - 20.46

Messed up the pacing. It's a really fast start, downhill with wind on back, was running 3.50km pace, I never adjusted my pace after the fast start so I probably ran the fastest 2k of my life followed by a tough 3k into the wind where I was trying to keep the pace around 4min, hit the wall then and just jogged to the line. Disappointing really, will see if there's any 5k races coming up so I can attempt to pace it a bit more sensibly.

Blah :)

LOL. I did the same thing in that race last year. Went out like a gobsh1te, going through mile 1 on 17:3x pace, got to the hill at Terenure and it was a torturous death march to the end and wasn't far under 20 in the end.

Certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it anyway. Sprinters aren't supposed to be good at that lark. :)

Just got a bit caught up in the excitement of it all. I won't lose sleep but just feels like a wasted chance, I won't see a course like that again until jingle bells!

Had tough hill session on Thurs so the legs were partially fried

• Advertisement

Just got a bit caught up in the excitement of it all. I won't lose sleep but just feels like a wasted chance, I won't see a course like that again until jingle bells!

Had tough hill session on Thurs so the legs were partially fried

Put it this way, your 400m PB equates to a very low 16 minute 5k, so one way or another you weren't going to be setting the world alight comparatively speaking, so there's no real pressure on it. If you feel it helps your overall goals then have a bit of craic with it while getting some training benefit out of it.

It's purely a personal battle, close to 19 for Christmas is the goal! Would like to shave a chunk off every winter and be somewhat useful in xc eventually

20.17 dundalk parkrun

Finally some sensible pacing. It's a nice flat 5k in comparison to oldbridge. I also fell going around a roundabout that's in the last 20m which seems bizarre. Felt good after it apart from my busted knee, got a decent gym session in afterwards so there was more in the tank.

Im finding it useful to look back on last years training/races for comparison so I'm just going to note some numbers that are of interest to me

400's @ 85
    1k's @ 4min
    squat - 55kg (reps of 8)
    Grove hill - 46sec

Louth novice xc 6k (8 laps)

Happy with that. I ran something like 26.xx last year so I really wanted to make amends here and do myself justice. I went out steady, just keeping an eye on who I was around, figured I was about right compared to team mates. There was a group of 4 from dundalk up ahead so I gradually caught them. As the laps ticked over they dropped off one by one until it was me chasing one other guy, we caught a handful of others along the way. If I've one regret it's that I left too much of a gap coming onto home straight, he had a decent kick in him so I couldn't put my 400 training to use to catch him, if I had of just caught him earlier in the last lap I could have passed him at the end. So I'm happy with run but maybe just a little bit more in me.

A good days work for the club, they were first team in u16, u18, senior in men's and women's, something must be working!

Easy week now and then I believe the sprint group are regrouping. Would still like to get a mile and 5k pb before it's too late. Might even run xc intermediate, you can't beat the xc for club atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Mile trial 5.22

1 sec pb!!! I'll take it! Weather was awful, was running on tired legs from the xc sunday and I had to lap large groups of people so I'm satisfied I could take a chunk off on the right day. I'll settle for a pb tonight.

Splits 1.21 2.42, 4.05, 5.22

Sprint training begins Thursday so no more xc unfortunately. I was a bit disappointed to hear that but at the same time happy to be doing what I'm best at and what will give me the best chance of a pb next year. It's a 100-400 specific group so will be perfect for me.

Now I just need to sneak a 5k pb in somewhere...

Mile trial 5.22

1 sec pb!!! I'll take it! Weather was awful, was running on tired legs from the xc sunday and I had to lap large groups of people so I'm satisfied I could take a chunk off on the right day. I'll settle for a pb tonight.

Splits 1.21 2.42, 4.05, 5.22

Sprint training begins Thursday so no more xc unfortunately. I was a bit disappointed to hear that but at the same time happy to be doing what I'm best at and what will give me the best chance of a pb next year. It's a 100-400 specific group so will be perfect for me.

Now I just need to sneak a 5k pb in somewhere...

Is this a new group you are training with going forward?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is this a new group you are training with going forward?

Yep. Bit of reorganisation within the club, we have a proper dedicated sprint group now.

Louth intermediate xc 8k

4 1/2 laps of a few fields

So the coach was happy to let me do this, my only xc has been around football pitches so I wanted a taste of the real deal. When I arrived I did a lap if the course and admittedly was a bit shocked at the state of the surface for a lot of it. Lots of stones, uneven surfaces, longer grass than I've ever run in, so I knew I was going to get the experience I was looking for!

The gun went and everyone stayed pretty close for the first 2 fields before the gaps started to open. It was very windy so I decided I would try to find a group to run behind, there were a few ner runners about 10 Mts ahead so I spent the first lap on my own trying to catch them. Soon as I caught them one by one they were dropping off, had probably went out too hard. I eventually was left with one guy and stuck to him for the last 3 laps. We caught a runner from Glenmore and tried to pass but he was having none of it and kicked on a bit from us. The last 2 laps the 3 of us were in a line for most it with no one close either side. Coming to the last 1km I decided to pick it up and gave a little kick to pass the lads, just enough so that they didn't bother to counter it. Coming around to the last 400 I was catching another guy from our club so I kicked on to pass him with about 20mts to go. Act felt bad about that

Men and womens team both first, happy days.

Great experience, thinking about asking can I run senior now. I think xc is the most fun between itself, road racing & track. I reckon I'll give it a good stab if I ever switch to middle distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

So what's "tougher", 400s or XC?
    Mixed opinions in thread on main forum.

dna_leri wrote: »
    So what's "tougher", 400s or XC?
    Mixed opinions in thread on main forum.

Assuming both are done with max effort, id hazard a guess 10k xc on a muddy day is as tough as it gets. Let me get back to you after senior if it's muddy! The problem is as well, I wouldn't have enough experience in it to hit that max effort the lads are talking about, chances are id blow up early or hold back too much to get into that state.

At the moment I would still fear the 400m more than anything, the thoughts of racing it sickens me.

Notes

500 @ 90
    1200 @ 4.48
    800 @ 3

squats 40/50/60kg
    lunges 35kg
    RD 50kg
    Good mornings - 40kg

1200 @ 4.35-4.41
    800@ 2.59

Squats 45, 55, 65 (4)
    Lunge 35
    Good morning 45
    Rdl 55

500s @ 89-91

Squats 45, 55, 65 (6)
    Lunge 35
    Good morning 50
    Rdl 60

Marys street hill 29-30 sec

500's 88-90
    800's 2.56, 2.54, 2.52 (track)
    1200 4.35 (track)

seated pistol squat - 3x4
    Lunge 30
    Good morning 50
    Rdl 65 (2 sets)

• Advertisement

800's 2.56, 2.54, 2.52 (track)
    1200 4.35 (track)
    150s - 24-26
    Mary Street hill - 28-29

seated pistol squat - 3x4
    Lunge 30
    Good morning 50
    Rdl 65 (2 sets)

500's - 88, 88, 90, 90

Had a look back to see if I done 500s before, this is from January, always nice to see.
    Aimed for 90 this week.

92, 92, 90, 90

Better. If I had someone to pace me I would've got all 90.

500s, 89, 89, 91, 97...blew up badly, strong win murdered me
    150s - 22 wind on the back explains improvement there

Louth senior xc Sunday so I skipped the gym tonight

Sat - Assistant Coaching Course - highly recommended, learned some great information here, even to do with sprinting that I never knew

Louth Senior XC (7 Laps)

Beautiful morning for it, barely any wind and the sun splitting. It was the first outing for our clubs new ground and it it certainly didn't disappoint. The women were up first and retained the senior title with 2,3,5,6. My plan to to hang on to the guy that finished just ahead of me in the intermediate, he's experienced with pacing so that was my best hope. I managed to hold on to him for about 4 laps before he pulled away, I was a bit lost then for a while as their was nobody around me so I took the foot off the pedal a little without realising. After about a lap on my own a guy from dunleer came storming past me so I latched on to him and it gave me a bit of life again. I was afraid to pass him too early in case i blew up so I just hung on until the last lap. When I heard the bell I passed him but I could hear him on my shoulder the whole way around, I knew if it stayed this way Id be fine on the last straight which was the case. He made a good go of it though so we had a sprint finish between the two of us and a good laugh about it afterwards, finishing 42.49. The club retained their senior title with 2,3,4,5,6,7, happy to win if a little disappointed with the other clubs performance and the lack of depth that they brought meaning I had very few people to race along the way. That's me done with XC for another year, I'll certainly continue to do the novice/intermediate/senior every year as its a welcome change from the track side of things.

I plan on doing Jingle Bells in 2 weeks, will try for a pb, baseline meet coming up shortly after where ill be hoping to pb in the 300m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sat - Assistant Coaching Course - highly recommended, learned some great information here, even to do with sprinting that I never knew

Louth Senior XC (7 Laps)

Beautiful morning for it, barely any wind and the sun splitting. It was the first outing for our clubs new ground and it it certainly didn't disappoint. The women were up first and retained the senior title with 2,3,5,6. My plan to to hang on to the guy that finished just ahead of me in the intermediate, he's experienced with pacing so that was my best hope. I managed to hold on to him for about 4 laps before he pulled away, I was a bit lost then for a while as their was nobody around me so I took the foot off the pedal a little without realising. After about a lap on my own a guy from dunleer came storming past me so I latched on to him and it gave me a bit of life again. I was afraid to pass him too early in case i blew up so I just hung on until the last lap. When I heard the bell I passed him but I could hear him on my shoulder the whole way around, I knew if it stayed this way Id be fine on the last straight which was the case. He made a good go of it though so we had a sprint finish between the two of us and a good laugh about it afterwards, finishing 42.49. The club retained their senior title with 2,3,4,5,6,7, happy to win if a little disappointed with the other clubs performance and the lack of depth that they brought meaning I had very few people to race along the way. That's me done with XC for another year, I'll certainly continue to do the novice/intermediate/senior every year as its a welcome change from the track side of things.

I plan on doing Jingle Bells in 2 weeks, will try for a pb, baseline meet coming up shortly after where ill be hoping to pb in the 300m.

That's injuries for you, part of the sport unfortunately. Our team was ravaged this year, but one things for sure, you guys will never have such an easy win again! :)

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's injuries for you, part of the sport unfortunately. Our team was ravaged this year, but one things for sure, you guys will never have such an easy win again! :)

yeah we figured as much! Get your legs in order and we go again next year :)

did you like the new venue? They've already planned a few tweaks to it and some bigger plans down the road to make it into an exceptional xc course. We'll get the big boys down here yet!

yeah we figured as much! Get your legs in order and we go again next year :)

did you like the new venue? They've already planned a few tweaks to it and some bigger plans down the road to make it into an exceptional xc course. We'll get the big boys down here yet!

I thought the course looked great and would be brilliant for the novice, but IMO it's too easy for a senior course. A senior course needs more hills and challenges to break up the running. But as I said, would be brilliant for the novice, way better than Meadowview!

pconn062 wrote: »
    I thought the course looked great and would be brilliant for the novice, but IMO it's too easy for a senior course. A senior course needs more hills and challenges to break up the running. But as I said, would be brilliant for the novice, way better than Meadowview!

Yeah thats true I think thats all in the plans but I wont say anymore in case im wrong, I believe they want to get it to a standard where it can hold provincial races and the likes

Yeah thats true I think thats all in the plans but I wont say anymore in case im wrong, I believe they want to get it to a standard where it can hold provincial races and the likes

That would be great, would be like DkIT, would be nice to have two championship venues in the County.

1200 x 1 @ 4.06
    1200's @ 4.36(grass)
    marys hill - 29
    150's @ 20

Slight pain in calf, will attempt 1200s tonight and see how it feels. Jingle bells on Sat.

• Advertisement

PB 19.45 in Navan Bull run, which is short I believe

So the aim today was to for sub 20 and push on if I felt good. I planned on running the first 2km in 8min and then hope the hill would give me sub 20 even if i was struggling.

1KM 4.01

The watch beeped just as I was coming up to the 1km sign, I swear I looked at my watch every 10 seconds for fear of going too fast/slow, it was actually head wrecking

2KM 3.58

Again, pretty much ran this far staring at my watch, I felt great so I knew I had to push a little harder for the next km

3KM 3.50

I realised I was going much faster but I still felt great and reckoned I should be in pain now if I was doing it right so decided to keep at it

4KM 3.44

At this stage I wasn't using the watch anymore I was just going at a hard steady pace, I knew with the hill coming up I should be well able to hold it even if dying

5km 3.26

Finally started to hurt,I imagine this hurt is what decent middle distance runners put up with from about the 2k mark, i started to look at my watch again but just to see how long was left, even with 500m to go I didnt feel like sprinting but when I came around the corner and saw 18.xx on the clock I couldn't believe it so I pushed hard as I could to the finish line.

19.02 PB

Absolutely delighted, all of a sudden the likes of 17/18 min 5k times don't seem so completely out of reach.

Next up - 300m @ Baseline meet

Advertisement