Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB, nice racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB, nice racing.

thanks tang1 :D

Copied from the goals thread, targets for 2017

200m - Sub 25 (25.43)
    300m - Sub 40 (42.3)
    400m - Sub 54 (54.84) --> The main target!
    800m - Sub 2.10 (2.14)
    Mile - Sub 5.10 (5.22)
    5k - Sub 18.30 (19.02)
    Run Novice/intermediate/Senior XC again, get a bit closer to the scorers on team
    Keep up the strength work
    Sub 20min Oldbridge Parkrun

Baseline Meet 300m

They sent us a video this year, class!

So I arrived with expectations of a big pb(42.3), just turn up and run hard, be grand. Plan was to run it like a small 400, out hard for first bend, cruise until last bend, pick it up and then survive the last 50m. Didnt get to finish my warm up and unfortunately paid the price as i strained my groin coming out of the blocks. This spoiled the race for me a bit because its all I thought about until the last 100m. I thought about pulling up over the first 50, the legs kept going and the pain eased a little over the next 100, just ticking along, at that point i realised I was in a race so i started to think about catching the guy ahead of me who was slowing up badly on the last bend, I caught him just on the line as he fell over but he still beat me, 39.44 to 39.42! Anyway delighted to go sub 40

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Ah! If I'd known that was you I would have said hello. D&D - I have you now;) So much for 'surviving' the last 50 - you really picked it up!

I did the 60+150 - good fun! Shame there aren't more opportunities to practice these races.

• Advertisement

It looks like I picked it up but he was slowing badly, I'd say I just about managed to not slow.

Deffo say hello id be delighted! no more of those distances but lots races id say, especially now with the new arena open! I think we can guest in all the league races

What league races?? I thought there was no more competition at all until the leinsters. I just started track at the start of the year so am not really up to speed on all this.

If you look at the fixtures you'll see aai league round 1,2 & final, they all had guests last year. Then all the provincial ones had guests as well, so munster etc. Then you have your leinsters, national seniors and of course masters for yourself(me next year :) )

Oldbridge parkrun

With my groin sore on Wed I decided to skip hill session and tempo the parkrun instead. Figured 20 min pace should be fine. Of course my watch didn't work so I had to go on feel and what do you know I ran 19.56 ha, nice parkrun pb at a comfortable pace. That sub 20 parkrun has been waiting a long time

I was sick all over Christmas, virus that turned into chest infection. I couldnt believe how much it has set me back, probably another 2 to 3 weeks before I get back to where I was if even. Leinsters are a few weeks early this year so not ideal really. If I can run sub 56 by then id be happy.

• Advertisement

Trained well on Tuesday despite having a cold, but then on Thursday I could barely run. Frustrating stuff, was meant to race 800m as a guest at the indoor league on Sat but have decided to skip it as there's clearly something amiss.

BLAH :/

200's @ 32-34
    600's @ 1.48, blew up on last rep

Time trial

500m approx 77, messed up watch so not sure
    400m 58 sec

Happy with that considering the month I've had. Race next sat which will give me a good blow out before leinsters.

Indoor league round 2 guest 400m

Delighted with that. I thought maybe 56 today and 55 at leinsters would be a good start to the year after the chest infection. I got out of the blocks well, 26.3 for 200, I notice watching the video that when I start to slow coming up to the last bend I left it too late before picking it up again. Will need to be more on the ball next time. But stil, second fastest race I've had so can't complain too much.

Absolutely shattered now, body is in ribbons. Good to be back

AAI Games Senior 400m

Got a chance to run in our lovely new stadium, there was a lot of people there so I was more nervous than usual. Also I knew I was running senior which could well mean coming last by a long shot. Plan was rather than wait for the last bend before picking it up(stop slowing down) i decided id push on going down the back straight. As you will see from the video I was in last by the first bend but at least that was to be expected so there was no panic, just kept to the plan. Passed 2 guys in the last 100m which was definitely a first so that was good craic. Nice to be involved in a race for a change rather than another time trial.

Happy with the time although I had a better lane than I had in Athlone. But on the other hand there was traffic in this race so maybe it evens out. Happy out anyway, will try my best for 54 at Leinsters.

AAI GAMES Senior 400m HEat 4

Nation League Round 2 Guest 400m Athlone

Wow, I'm very impressed with you passing those two guys at that stage of the race! Brilliant stuff. The plan definitely came together! And yes wouldn't having to move into Lane 2 on the bend account for the time? Well done.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Wow, I'm very impressed with you passing those two guys at that stage of the race! Brilliant stuff. The plan definitely came together! And yes wouldn't having to move into Lane 2 on the bend account for the time? Well done.

Yeah maybe so Mulberry, thanks

Leinster senior 400m

Was really hoping for the 54 today, pretty disappointed. I thought having run 55.08 2 weeks before that with an easy week I would be good for 54. Blah. 53 sec feels a long way away right now, a low 54 might be a more accurate expectation for the summer.

2 weeks off now, really looking forward to doing a couple of 800s when I get back. Try and get a pb and nice change from the 400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Leinster senior 400m

Was really hoping for the 54 today, pretty disappointed. I thought having run 55.08 2 weeks before that with an easy week I would be good for 54. Blah. 53 sec feels a long way away right now, a low 54 might be a more accurate expectation for the summer.

2 weeks off now, really looking forward to doing a couple of 800s when I get back. Try and get a pb and nice change from the 400

I thought you ran well, and finished strongly which was good. Hard to race well after waiting around for so many hours. 53 in the summer is still well on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Leinster senior 400m

Very very hard to run to your best in such a mess of an event. Standing around waiting for heat upon heat of endless masters races will test anyone's patience. Next year target Nationals and do Leinsters for fun. It's too much of a farce of a meet to deserve being your target event.

You ran well in any case.

Thanks lads appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I saw your race and thought you ran really well.

I didn't get my times either, and am inclined to agree with Chivito - the waiting around etc. may have taken its toll.

Thanks mulberry, come 250m I def didn't feel as strong as I did 2 weeks ago, maybe faster first 200. Anyway I'll not dwell on it, 2 weeks of beer and mcdonalds and then back to work :)

So back after a nice break. 2 weeks of training done and I feel good. Breathing a bit heavy on the longer reps than id like. My lifts are very slowly coming along in the gym, I think if i wasnt so cautious id lift a bit more but i'm happy to settle for small strength increases and no injuries.

Comparison to November Gym

Yesterday

Squat 50, 60, 70kg (8 reps)
    Lunge 50kg (8 reps)
    RDL 60, 70, 80kg (8 reps)

Mary Street Hill sprints 5 x 28, 5 x 29

November
    Squats 45, 55, 65 (6 reps)
    Lunge 35
    Good morning 50
    Rdl 60

Marys street hill 29-30 sec

Squat 55, 65, 75 x6
    Lunge 55 x6
    RDL 70, 80, 90 x6

3 gym pb's there by lowering the reps, I do feel a little broken today though so I won't be trying to up the weight for a couple of weeks at least.

Marys Hill - 1 x 30, 8 x 28, 1 x 29 best hill session yet by a longshot

My 1200s were atrocious. Don't feel fit, strong,but not fit. Running a mile race tomorrow so will see where i'm at, will aim for the pb which I think is 5.19

Squat 50, 60, 70kg (8 reps)
    Lunge 50kg (8 reps)
    RDL 60, 70, 80kg (8 reps)

Mary Street Hill sprints 5 x 28, 5 x 29

November

Mile Trial

TLTR - 5.05!

Here we go, possibly my fave distance albeit certainly not my best! My pb was 5.19 and while I don't feel fit at the moment I feel strong, between the gym and hill sessions I knew I was a lot stronger than before but at the same time id say id run a bad 5k right now. The aim was 5.10, id have been happy with a pb though. I wrote 100m splits for 5.10 on my hand for just the first 2 laps and followed them almost spot on so as to prevent a blow up, on the 3rd lap i just kept up what i felt was the same pace although id say it was bit faster, I picked it up a little then for the last 400 and sprinted the last 200 passing a couple of lads out, always the best part of the race for a sprinter :) Anyway delighted with 5.05, I think sub 5min would be there for me if I had a pacer, i'll just keep doing what im doing and im sure it will come eventually. Did i say i love the mile? I LOVE IT!

Training Update

Bit of news on the training front. Due to life commitments I had been training on my own for a few months but i found another sprint group that train on the days I'm available and the club have given me their blessing to train with them. It's a senior 400m group with a couple of girls running around my pace so hopefully this will help push me on that little bit more.

Dublin Graded 800m B Race

PB - 2.14

The plan was for this to me my one and only 800 this year so I was a bit nervous about messing it up. The coach had me doing 300 reps on Sunday at race pace which would have given me a 2.08, they felt harder than id hoped but I was hoping that was due to the gym on Sat. I decided to side with caution and wear a stop watch to get my rhythm in the first 200m. Watching the C race before I noticed most of them would have finished ahead of me so I knew to expect to be near the back and not to panic. I lined up in lane 6 after someone showed me where to stand for the 800 (amateur hour :) )

Off we went, almost everyone had surged ahead of me by the end of the bend and i joined the back of the pile, looked at my watch 16 secs, grand, stayed in outside of lane 1 to 200 and checked again, 32, GRAND! I heard the guy call 64 as I passed the line so all good, coming around the back I felt fine, it started to get a little tougher then on the back straight where I tried to pick it up a little, then 200m to go, there was basically a line of people from here to 100m ahead of me, in my head I was going to kick on now and pass all of them out, this was it, 400m guy has his moment, off i went, with about 150m to go i could feel the lactic building, 100m to go it was full on, at least im fairly used to this feeling so I just keep driving as best I can, checked the watch as I went over the line 2.07, delighted. As I started the watch after hearing the bang I think it was 2.08, just waiting on confirmation now.

TLTR - 2.08 PB

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Well done on the PB!
    Was just wondering where your new training group is based (Dublin maybe?) as I'm not aware of there being too many good senior 400m runners in the Drogheda area.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Well done, nice improvement from last year. I was in the B race last night too. It was a perfect night for it.

I know you were using the watch to get your pace, but in future, you're better off without it. The time you spend starting it/concentrating on it is time lost. Not much but it all counts, especially if you're sharing a lane.

All the best with the 400m training.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Well done on the PB!
    Was just wondering where your new training group is based (Dublin maybe?) as I'm not aware of there being too many good senior 400m runners in the Drogheda area.

Yep, in Santry

• Advertisement

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Well done, nice improvement from last year. I was in the B race last night too. It was a perfect night for it.

I know you were using the watch to get your pace, but in future, you're better off without it. The time you spend starting it/concentrating on it is time lost. Not much but it all counts, especially if you're sharing a lane.

All the best with the 400m training.

Yep I totally agree, the worst part is probably pacing the first 200m for 16 seconds when really i should be going hard for the first 50m, definitely lost time there. BUT, i only wanted to do the one 800m race so i decided to side with caution, get my pb and move on. If i get to do another one ill go for it!

and thank :)

Advertisement