Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sam Allardyce - New Sunderland Manager

• 09-10-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/dpcoverdale/status/652504293518495745

Coverdale has been pretty good on all matters Sunderland lately, so a good source, and other journalists are starting to report it now too.

There were rumours flying about that it would only be a one year deal - I presume so if we stay up he'd stay on and if we go down he'd leave, as there was talk that he didn't want to manage in the Championship again at this stage of his career - but hopefully it'll be a longer deal than that.

I think he has a task on his hands that even the best in the business might struggle with all things considered, but that said I think it's the best possible appointment Sunderland could have made given their situation.

Kevin Nolan to Sunderland in 3....2.....1....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Great appointment. There's few better than Sam at transforming a side from relegation contenders to solid midtable performers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The best man for a fire-fighting job I'd say. There was plenty of chatter about him being too much a London lad to go north. The other thing that is talked about is that the club itself is a bit "rum" full of the wrong people on and off the pitch with dressing room cliques and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

An excellent appointment for Sunderland, don't think he is as one dimensional as he's often accused of being, hopefully he'll have a positive effect on the squad he's inherited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The poor man.

A rotten club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

What a prick - I bet he only took the job to steal Klopp's thunder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's a good get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can he get Sunderland to the top 4? Needs separate thread and poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dpcoverdale/status/652504293518495745

Coverdale has been pretty good on all matters Sunderland lately, so a good source, and other journalists are starting to report it now too.

There were rumours flying about that it would only be a one year deal - I presume so if we stay up he'd stay on and if we go down he'd leave, as there was talk that he didn't want to manage in the Championship again at this stage of his career - but hopefully it'll be a longer deal than that.

I think he has a task on his hands that even the best in the business might struggle with all things considered, but that said I think it's the best possible appointment Sunderland could have made given their situation.

Kevin Nolan to Sunderland in 3....2.....1....

The only man to have lost a game to Newcastle in the last half season or so. I welcome this appointment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

x43r0 wrote: »
    What a prick - I bet he only took the job to steal Klopp's thunder

Very unfair:(. He's a decent sort and should do well with the Black Cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Can't stand him but that's the best appointment Sunderland have made in ages. they are lucky to still be in the top flight, they've been managed so poorly they make Liverpool's signings look frugal. Have they any money left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

If confirmed at least it gives Sunderland some hope, they had looked doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Best appointment they could realistically make, can see him keep them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

They say that Sunderland is a drinking club.
    With senior players negatively influential.

Can Sam break this clique where others failed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Best man for the job

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

A perfect match, Sam and Sunderland were made for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Could see a nice continuation of the Allardyce/Mourinho head to head as they battle it out around the relegation zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Could see a nice continuation of the Allardyce/Mourinho head to head as they battle it out around the relegation zone.

Annoyingly funny and true the way the things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be honest, I'd say they'd be doomed even with Mourinho in charge. But great appointment nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Allardyce is a very good manager and I watched as he took Blackburn from the depths of relegation to the top ten in two and a half seasons.

He will start out with football that the fans might not be happy with but it will be effective. If he is given the time to do his thing he will bring in players over time to play a nice style of football but he doesn't do these things quickly and patience is required.

If players are acting the maggot they will not be tolerated. He has shown this in the past where he freezes out players that won't conform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

He is beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was inevitable he's be picked up by one of the clubs down the bottom, good for Sunderland that their the ones who made the move imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Top appointment and didnt waste much time in getting in an extremely proven Premier League manager. Expect Sunderland to be safe now and push on next year (finally some progress for the club).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Best appointment Sunderland could have made, tbh I'd happily have Sam at Villa at the moment. Dunno if it's a smart move by him though as Sunderland really look poor and the board & players if anything came off a lot worse than their last manager so it won't be easy for him to turn things around although at least he is in the door very early and has time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2 year deal. Happy with that:

http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2015/october/sunderland-appoint-allardyce

He's on a hiding to nothing most likely but there's no better appointment Sunderland could have realistically made IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A good manager to help avoid relegation. But an a$$hole of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He was probably disappointed Klopp got the Liverpool gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Right man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He's got a decent record at keeping sides up, and was probably the best available manager that the Mackems could get. I hope he gets them out of trouble (there's others I'd prefer to see take the plunge!), their fans seem a decent bunch. Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mark Curtis will be happy to have a few quid coming his way again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He'll keep them up most likely. Villa will be looking for a manager change next I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's Sunderland nailed on the win the derby so :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Moneymaker wrote: »
    That's Sunderland nailed on the win the derby so :mad:

Was just about to say that.

Newcastle are utterly fcked if they don't invest heavily in the winter and get rid of McLaren asap. Their derby record is abysmal and I can't see that change much, especially with Allardyce coming in at Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

A perfect match, Sam and Sunderland were made for each other.

What are ya talking about? Sam's supposed to be managing Real Madrid or Barcelona :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Brilliant appointment by Sunderland. Exactly what they need right now. If he can't do anything with Sunderland, then they might as well ask to leave the Premier League and stay as a football league club forever. Nobody seems to be able to do anything with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Superb job done by Allardyce, especially when you consider what he inherited.

- He gained 32 points from 28 games, which would be good enough for 44 points over the course of a full season. Or in other words Sunderland would have a chance to finish 11th with a win on the last day if that total was applied to this season.

- Kirchhoff, Kone and Khazri signed for a combined £15m.

- Only 4 losses in 18 games since January.

If Sunderland haven't finally found the man who can give them relative comfort in the Premier League then I don't know if anyone can to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »
    Superb job done by Allardyce, especially when you consider what he inherited.

- He gained 32 points from 28 games, which would be good enough for 44 points over the course of a full season. Or in other words Sunderland would have a chance to finish 11th with a win on the last day if that total was applied to this season.

- Kirchhoff, Kone and Khazri signed for a combined £15m.

- Only 4 losses in 18 games since January.

If Sunderland haven't finally found the man who can give them relative comfort in the Premier League then I don't know if anyone can to be honest.

My first thought tonight once it was obvious Sunderland were staying up was that they won't be in this position again for a good few seasons. It's onwards and upwards for Sunderland.

Advertisement