Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwich toaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

OP, if you're looking for a sandwich maker I can't recommend this one highly enough

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VST025-Sandwich-Press-Stainless/dp/B0048EJQBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444662732&sr=8-2&keywords=breville+sandwich+toaster

It comes in different sizes depending on your requirements. I know at least two people whom have bought it on the back of toasties 1n my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I like having devices with effectively one function but which does that function really well, and I like devices which can do multiple things.

I love my kindle which I use for reading novels and nothing else, and I love my leatherman which can do a hundred different things.

The traditional sandiwch toaster which gives you crimped edged toasted sandwiches, for the 15 quid it will cost, I would say definitely go for it. It takes about 2 minutes to prepare the sandwich and cleanout is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

syklops wrote: »
    I like having devices with effectively one function but which does that function really well, and I like devices which can do multiple things.

I love my kindle which I use for reading novels and nothing else, and I love my leatherman which can do a hundred different things.

The traditional sandiwch toaster which gives you crimped edged toasted sandwiches, for the 15 quid it will cost, I would say definitely go for it. It takes about 2 minutes to prepare the sandwich and cleanout is minimal.
    I just find them too hot, they destroy the cheese, lava when it comes out, yellow water if you let it cool. I like gooey American style grilled cheese.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just let it sit for a minute, to cool the lava. I've decided I'm getting one at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks for the links folks. I actually had my eye on a similar RH one from Argos but the price is right on Amazon. £100 is more than I'm willing to spend on a one trick pony.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Someone in my house got a sandwich maker and I was saying it was pointless as we had the GF which makes better ones

Did anybody else think "GF" meant girlfriend? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I actually used to love how you could never get the proper old eighties sandwich toasters properly clean ... You could always taste the charred remains of delicious sandwiches past with every subsequent toastie! :D

beertons wrote: »
    Just let it sit for a minute, to cool the lava. I've decided I'm getting one at the weekend.
    Nah it changes the texture, it loses the gooieness and becomes all watery, Ive tried loads, including that Breville on Amazon linked up there (one of the worst imo) and they all do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We have one like this that we got for about €20 in Lidl last year, it's really handy as it can do veg and stuff as well.

And thanks to this thread I just had a toasted tomato and cheese sandwich with ballymaloe relish. And burnt the beyjaysus out of my chin with a scalding hot tomato. I regret nooooooooothing!!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I used a waffle maker for toasties for a while. All the dimples gave great crunch to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A really silly pet peeve of mine is people who think the light going on/off indicates your toastie is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dial Hard wrote: »
    He said watching over. As in you can put your sandwich in, then forget about it for 10 minutes while you go do something else. Not washing.

Oops! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Thargor wrote: »
    Nah it changes the texture, it loses the gooieness and becomes all watery, Ive tried loads, including that Breville on Amazon linked up there (one of the worst imo) and they all do it.

I've never had that happen with any sandwich toaster.
    Mellor wrote: »
    A really silly pet peeve of mine is people who think the light going on/off indicates your toastie is done.

Hmmm, you know, I don't think I've met enough people who think that in my life for it to be a pet peeve. :pac:

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, you know, I don't think I've met enough people who think that in my life for it to be a pet peeve. :pac:

They call them jaffles in Australia, and they are the hipster sandwich of choice. Bloody everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I used to be this person. I ate so many pasty, undercooked, still sort of yellow with melted butter toasties as a child until I pushed past the urge to flip the sandwich maker open as soon as that light flashed off. They should give talks in schools 'Did you know toasties can be toasted'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hmmm, I never put my toastie in until the light has gone off. I always thought the light was on while it was heating up, then when the light goes off, it's the hottest it can get.
    That's the way I still do it as the light comes on immediately after being plugged in and goes off after about two mins, which is when I shove the sandwich/wrap in :pac:

What I used to do was put it in when the light went off/green light went on and take it out again when the light went back on/orange light came on. Instead of just leaving it in the sandwich maker till it was neeeeeeearly burnt as is my actual sandwich preference. Nasty dictator sandwich maker light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Oh the toasty sambo maker was a god send, whip out a few sausages, spread them inside your bread and then butter the outsides. Heaven :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Oh the toasty sambo maker was a god send, whip out a few sausages, spread them inside your bread and then butter the outsides. Heaven :D

Its a tight month in the syklops household, despite the budget, but I have to now go buy a toasted sandwich maker simply to try my beloved gold medal Denny in this manner.

Kovu wrote: »
    Hmmm, I never put my toastie in until the light has gone off. I always thought the light was on while it was heating up, then when the light goes off, it's the hottest it can get.

Me too, I think it's an indication that the toaster is hot enough to start toasting, much like the light on an iron goes off when it's hot enough.

Of course it is! Been like that with a millionelectrical goods for literally decades, is this actually news to people?

• Advertisement

Of course it is! Been like that with a millionelectrical goods for literally decades, is this actually news to people?

Some people apparently!

I don't think it's 'oh my god, epiphany, light going off/green means toaster hot, wow' more so that when the light goes back on/orange again a few minutes later it doesn't mean your sandwich is done. Or at least that was the dissatisfyingly toasted sandwich reason round mine.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Me too, I think it's an indication that the toaster is hot enough to start toasting, much like the light on an iron goes off when it's hot enough.

It's a just basic thermostat. Not a sandwich is ready light.
    syklops wrote: »
    Its a tight month in the syklops household, despite the budget, but I have to now go buy a toasted sandwich maker simply to try my beloved gold medal Denny in this manner.
    Go for it, they are extremely cheap.
    I went away to a lakehouse recently with my misses. It's was a quiet area so we picked up some food on the way up rather than hope there was decent food nearby. Steaks for the bbq, sandwiches for a boat picnic.
    Seen a sandwich toaster for $7 (about €4.50). Hard to argue with that price

It's a just basic thermostat. Not a sandwich is ready light.

I know that. I'm not one of the posters who said they thought it meant the sandwich was ready. I said I took it as an indication that the toaster had heated up enough to start toasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I use those toaster bags to make toasted sandwiches, best invention ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Aldi have sandwich toasters next week, with interchangeable plates. https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thu-22-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/sandwich-toaster-3/

Whispered wrote: »
    But you can't do paninis or wraps in a sandwich toaster. Madness! ...
    ... toasties and paninis and wraps, ....much more versatile.
    TPD wrote: »
    I used a waffle maker for toasties for a while...
    pew wrote: »
    I got one 2 years ago on special in Aldi. It has removable plates where it is a normal sandwich toaster, waffle iron and grill too...

It's a sign from the toastie gods...
    Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Aldi have sandwich toasters next week, with interchangeable plates. https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thu-22-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/sandwich-toaster-3/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Popped into Argos on the way home from work and bought a Waring deep dish sandwich toaster Nice piece of kit. Waiting on a ham, cheese and oregano to crisp up nicely.

\drools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

conjon wrote: »
    OP, if you're looking for a sandwich maker I can't recommend this one highly enough

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VST025-Sandwich-Press-Stainless/dp/B0048EJQBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444662732&sr=8-2&keywords=breville+sandwich+toaster

It comes in different sizes depending on your requirements. I know at least two people whom have bought it on the back of toasties 1n my house!

+1

I have this Breville and it is very popular in our house.

• Advertisement

Saw this Buzzfeed article or however you could describe it yesterday.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samstryker/fyi-you-need-to-be-eating-your-grilled-cheese-with-ketchup?bffbmain&utm_term=.rv9ny0nZ6#.kqaa0OaVN

Having toasties with ketchup. Just another stupid Buzzfeed list but the comments underneath are interesting. Seems to be mostly Canadian and American people commenting and they are mostly alternately aghast and bemused at people not dipping their toasties in ketchup. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone do this in Ireland, but to some people commenting, it's hard to imagine not doing it. Interesting to learn of food traditions in other countries!

Advertisement