Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Iron Steak - What to do with it?

Options
  • 09-10-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard these can be a bit tough.

Any ideas how to tenderise them before cooking, I assume cooking medium is the furthest to go with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Actually would cooking them in the slow cooker be good? How long for I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

i had 2 last night and they were very good.

Equal parts light soy and olive oil and a few crushed cloves of garlic, ziplock bag for a few hours. 1.30min either side and it was a little under but very tasty.

The key is slicing it thin against the grain, lenghtways. This keeps the fibers short and makes it easy to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Treat them as you would any other steak.
    They're a great cut - no mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The ones out of Lidl have a strip of very tough membrane through them but otherwise they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you're concerned about them, or any meat protein, being tough. Soak them overnight in pineapple, grapefruit, or pawpaw juice (although I've no idea where you can get your hands on the latter here), dry them off thoroughly before cooking and then cook as normal. THere's enzymes in the juice that will assist in breaking down the tough fibers and connective tissue

• Advertisement
Advertisement