Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pc gaming system - where to go?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

Was thinking ~150-200e...whatever deal is best, but I'd like to stick to nVidia 'cos I trust them ;P

Hdd's and the others I have, but I can update them if required...except for ram. And the power supply, I'm a bit vague on what I might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You don't trust AMD? nVidia are a bag of dicks :pac:

A 950 is good there, or a cheaper 960. A 500w PSU is more than enough for either with room for upgrades.

A good GPU is better for gaming than a CPU tbh

True, just that most games are nVidia supported and I've had no probs with them over the decade...although I have absolutely no experience with AMD gfx cards, so I just might check them out. Ok 500w...I happen to have one lying about, might save me a bit =)

I'll have a look at gfx cards, tom's hardware is a good source of info when comparing them...thanks for the help so far DS:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Padovski

1. AMD cards consume more power then Nvidia, there is also a ~5/10% performance(fps) difference, but, AMD is way more cheaper than Nvidia.
    2. 500W will do fine for your Intel configuration.
    3. Have a look on ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX - very nice gtx for around 300-350e

The GTX970 Strix looks nice, well designed and efficient...the price is a bit out of my budget, but I'll keep my eye on deals. It is a good card from what the youtubers, links say. Def on my wishlist Padovski, thanks for the info.

Is there an equivelent AMD card? thus cheaper ;)

Now, I would say that R9 380 would be the equivalent that will perform even slightly better then 970 strix. I'm using Asus dc2 r9 270x- less performance then 970 but that price... cheap :) you can grab used Asus dc2 oc r9 270x 2bg ddr5 for a 150euro, would personally recommend that one.
    The GPU is really a tailored choice.. Think first what you going to need it for and then buy accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

380 =\= a 970, miles off it.

290/390 are AMDs closest cards

380 =\= a 970, miles off it.

290/390 are AMDs closest cards

On paper, yes, you are correct!

R9 380 is in a 2gb and 4gb version, the 2gb without OC falls behind gtx 970 by max 15fps on ultra/2160P(!) in gtaV, farcry4 and so on... and with 100$ price difference plus OC capabilities(stable 1135), I did put = mark between those two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not just paper. In any world the GTX970 is way, way faster than an R9 280. They are not comparable in any way.

Advertisement