Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a cottage

Options
  • 09-10-2015 7:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I've been approached by a family member that an uncles old cottage will be going on sale and I can have it for a knock down price. I'm very interested but have a question about the electric.

Seeing as its been off for 2 years, will there be any problems or high costs about getting it reconnected. Everything was working OK just before it was disconnected but there's been some attempt of renovation (pulling ceilings/ removing plaster on some wall's) and would this effect getting it turned back on. It also has an old fused box, would this in anyway effect the reconnection fee or decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If it has been 2+ years, I believe its treated more or less as a new connection.
    https://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/restoring_a_connection.jsp
    You will need to get an electrician to sign off on a cert that will then go to the ESB who will reconnect it.
    Regarding costs? You might need to replace the old fuse box and/or meter, this could easily be in the €1,000+ between paying for your own electrician and get the ESB to reconnect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.ecssa.ie

" In the interest of safety you should engage a Registered Electrical Contractor who is fully insured, competent and can provide you with a valid Completion Cert for any electrical work undertaken. To find a Registered Electrical Contractor, click here".

I think you,ll need to get a new fuse box,
    you need to get a registered electrician .who is insured,
    and can provide you with a completion cert .
    GET a receipt for all work, get a quote in writing ,do not pay in cash .

be careful , not all electricians are registered .
    http://www.reci.ie/

just getting the work done is not much use if you dont get a cert from a registered electrician .

5 years ago,
    i paid an electrician in cash, to install a new fuse board, consumer unit.
    Then i had to pay another reci registered electrician 250euro just to test it, and provide a cert to get the esb turned on.
    IT took about 30 mins to install the new fuse box.
    I did not even ask for a receipt , and i paid in cash.
    i was naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

duckcfc wrote: »
    I've been approached by a family member that an uncles old cottage will be going on sale and I can have it for a knock down price. I'm very interested but have a question about the electric.
    Look into that. Whilst they may be offering you a bargain, if they'll be profiting from the sale ensure you get a good surveyor, etc.

Also check flooding, and flooding of the area; IIRC entire areas that have been deemed flood risk won't get insured on water damage.

Advertisement