Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aggressive bird - buzzing sound from wings?

• 09-10-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey

Wondering if anyone knows of any bird that ever makes a buzzing sound in flight.

A few days ago while walking my dog, I heard a commotion above of a bird squawking really loudly. I looked up and saw a yelping crow flying by towards some trees. It was quickly followed by another bird swooping, possibly "dive bombing", (which I thought looked like a large crow, though the sky cast them into silhouettes) .. Strangely, the aggressor was making a really loud buzzing, whirring sound as it swooped and turned.

It sounded like wind rasping through its wings, but was so loud that it scared my dog. Really a strange, but impressive sound to hear overhead.

I've never seen or heard anything like it in 35 years. Could it be a predator attacking a crow, or a male crow in mating form?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

This video is quite similar to what I witnessed, though the buzzing was deeper and longer. I wonder if a sparrowhawk would behave like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJXiFPnlIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The sound description suits snipe but it wouldn't be behaving aggressively.

Hmmm. I don't know much about birds but it was almost definitely chasing the crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

A buzzard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There is a definite audible 'noise' from a Peregrine in a dive if you were lucky enough to witness that. Their feathers are quite 'stiff' and you can hear them vibrate when the wings are closed. A Sparrowhawk's feathers are softer and it's fairly silent in flight, by comparison. Plus the fact that it may have been in pursuit of a 'crow'! So I'll say young, female, Peregrine is worthy of consideration!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea any birds produced air friction sound in flight. It was really awe inspiring to witness, especially in the middle of Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If its Dublin, that makes a peregrine more likely. Nice little video here.
    On the other hand they don't really resemble a crow. Maybe it was a moulting crow, with feathers out of place or coming loose. Or maybe the other crow attacked it and plucked a few feathers.

Awesome. It did seem to swoop really fast. Witnessing something like that in nature is really exciting. I can see how people catch the bug.

Advertisement