Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college-options

• 09-10-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So I'm a 21 year-old student in 2nd year of a 3-year BA Level 7. I have been struggling a lot since first year with wanting to leave the course and find something that I actually enjoy doing. I've hit rock bottom and the stress and unhappiness of this course and how dull my life is just isn't worth struggling through another two years for a stupid piece of paper. I want to know what all of my possible options are. My biggest problem right now is that I have no idea what it is I want to do. I think about travelling all the time but don't feel ready enough to travel alone or move away from my family just yet. I would ideally love to be able to make enough money and have enough time off to travel to a few different places in the year and broaden my horizons a bit that way, but coming home after each trip. Something like interrailling for 2/3 weeks or a month would be amazing. I feel like I just haven't experienced enough to actually know what I want to do. I have a part time job in retail and I am really worried that leaving my course will suck me into the trail of just being stuck in retail for the rest of my life. I do NOT want that. So I want to be able to make money, maybe do some smaller courses to try and find out what my passion is.. I don't know. I'm feeling extremely stuck and have been for about two years and I just know there's something else out there for me somewhere. I guess I'd just love to hear some stories of people's experiences with leaving college or what choices they made at my age and where it led them. Any stories from those of you who've maybe gone through something similar during a recession also, as I feel the recession here is another huge part of my worry of not getting a decent job if I don't have any sort of degree. Literally any advice right now would be great, as both myself and my family are quite worried about what way my future could pan out if I drop out and don't get this degree...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mrsl15

Don't do something you're not happy with. There are so many options available now, why would you put yourself through this unnecessarily? I completely understand the apprehension of dropping out of a course but don't you think it's better to take the time to figure out what you really want to do instead of getting a degree for the sake of it? You say you're worried about how things could pan out if you drop out and that's totally understandable, but it could turn out a whole lot worse if you box yourself into something you're not happy doing (that's not to say there aren't options available after graduation; h-dips, conversion courses etc.) and there are so many options available now that it makes no sense to stick with something you don't like.

I haven't been in your exact situation but I did start a course right after leaving cert, not having a clue what I wanted to do with my life but completely certain that this was the course for me, and realised after the first day that I hated it. I dropped out and worked for a year, chose a different course the following year and it was definitely the right decision. It's worth taking the time to think about what you'd like to do; maybe you could talk to a guidance counsellor or someone at your college about what you're interested in/what strengths you have/etc. and see what options you have. For what it's worth; I'm going to be graduating soon and it wasn't until the end of my final year that I finally figured out what I want to do, and even now I'm keeping my options open. Don't think you can't change your mind.

There is absolutely no point in making yourself miserable now and that piece of paper will not make it worthwhile. Also, I'm not sure what course you're doing but I would advise not worrying about the recession too much; yes, it's important to have a good job but you're going to spend the next 40+ years working; you need to like what you do as well.

+Apologies for not giving any 'concrete advice' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beccadaisy

It's not even just concrete advice I was looking for, but positive stories from people who have gone through it I guess, so thank you for the reply, it was really helpful. The main worry is just that I'm being told my family and people around me that unfortunately any prospective employer will be looking at my CV to see if I have a third level degree, no matter what it's in or whether or not it's even related to the job I'm applying to. They say that's the way it is at the moment.. But I'm not so sure.
    Anyway thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ac14

Hello, I know exactly how you feel. My situation is a little different but I always wanted to do nursing but didn't get the leaving cert points so my only choice I had at the time was to do arts which I was a bit excited about but really deep down knew it wasn't what I wanted, I completed the first year of the course and being honest it might have giving me more determination to get what I want.

There is nothing worse then doing a course that you don't enjoy and I understand working in retail because I worked in a retail shop while in college part time and I know that there isn't anything wrong with that job some people love it but I certainly couldn't spend the rest of my life doing that. It may seem now that it's the hardest decision you may have to face but being honest it's nothing . I passed my first year exams and knew I wasn't going back but I still defered the course I started a plc course in nursing studies and honestly finished it last may it was the best thing I done I really enjoyed the year because it was what I was interested in. I came out with all distinctions although it was hard work but showed it was what I wanted to do now I am moving to England in February to start general nursing for 3 years and I can't wait. The only reason I didn't do the plc course after the leaving is because you hear alot of things saying oh there no point in doing that because you need get high results and won't even get in here but I know it's difficult to get into ireland college through plc but not for all courses.

I know you said you don't have a clue what you want to do but maybe take a year out I spent hours thinking about what to do and numerous times I went through the Cao courses looking at most things saying to myself I'm not interested in half this stuff at all. If you take a year out and work away maybe do the interaling thing.I'm also 21 and only starting a new course so you are never to old. I know it's not me to say it because I know the cost you may have paid for college but if your unhappy do what you heart tells you because you will never be fully happy in that. The only thing is if you get a grant for what u have done already you will have to pay unless u progress to do a level 8 degree.

Hope this helps it's a bit different but I'm glad that I went with my own in instinct. Sorry didn't mean to ramble on.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Beccadaisy wrote: »
    The main worry is just that I'm being told my family and people around me that unfortunately any prospective employer will be looking at my CV to see if I have a third level degree, no matter what it's in or whether or not it's even related to the job I'm applying to. They say that's the way it is at the moment.. But I'm not so sure.
    Anyway thank you!

Yes, this is exactly the way it is at the moment, it's very hard to find a career type job and to get your foot on the ladder without a third level qualification. That being said, there is no point struggling on with something you don't enjoy.

My advice, think long and hard if you're going to drop out, consider issues with fees etc if you go to do first year on a different course in future. If you're sure it's what you want to do, make a commitment to yourself to get a qualification in the future then pack your bags and see a bit of the world, give yourself some space to decide what it is you'd like to do. Don't get stuck in a rut if you do drop out, drop out with a plan for what you want to do next.

If you can get a job, any job, any hours and work for a year. Now is the time to start looking in shops for Christmas work. Argos, Tesco, Dunnes, Hotels etc. You need to go on their websites and apply from there.
    In that time, do evening courses. As many and as diverse as you can afford. This will give you a better idea of what you are suited to. If you don't already drive, take lessons. Same for hobbies. Like swimming, lifesaving classes, hiking, dancing, anything that will offer exercise as well as company.
    Don't be hard on yourself. Look around you at people your parents age and find out how many of those stuck with their first choice of career and you will be amazed with the results!
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Personally, I'd say finish the degree if at all possible. It's only another year or so, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Showing that you've had the resilience and determination to finish a degree programme will look far better to potential employers and will stand to you in the future.

If you're sure that you want to work in a different area, I'd still complete the degree, but do as much work on your other interests as possible in your spare time. Maybe try get and internship next Summer and do a professional qualification? Even look into switching college course (sometimes you can skip first year if you've completed first year in another course). Unless you have a very clear idea in your head of what you want to do and are very driven, I wouldn't recommend dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beccadaisy

Thanks all for the advice, really is helpful and helping me to feel less alone!
    Just wanted to add that the course I'm doing is visual metchandising and display. I chose this course because, at the time when I was finishing my leaving cert, I was hugely interested in fashion and wanted to end up in something like styling or buying. There was no degree-level course in styling so I thought that VM would be a good alternative and a great access route into many areas of fashion. I also liked that it was a 3 year course as opposed to most which are 4 years. I have changed a lot since I was 18 and, although I still love fashion and my clothes and styling myself is my personal 'art form', I am no longer interested in being in that industry as a career. I thought I would be able to just muddle through the 3 years and get my degree and be gone, but the reason I'm finding it so hard to continue is really due to the nature of the course itself. It's extremely intense, full time and has a huge workload. The work we do involves making huge props and creating window displays out of these props within a short deadline. These are expected to be extremely creative and I just find that if you're not good at that type of thing, you cannot get through this course happily.

I've been thinking a lot about my interests/what in good at.
    I would really like to help people, I feel like I would be great at something like counselling, psychology, some sort of social job that aims to improve the lives of individuals in need. I'm really empathetic and have been told that this is what I would be great at, as I've been through struggles from a young age with regards to anxiety and mental health issues. I'm also good at writing, I'm always thinking and analysing things and reading articles and learning about different issues. Iam also interested in holistic therapies and mindfulness, meditation etc.
    So I guess something in the social area would suit me?

Anyone done social care in college or anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Meadhbus

As an ex-serial drop-out-er, it's not the end of the world. When you're applying for a job, the employer isn't allowed ask how old you are; they look at the qualifications and experience that you've got. So it's worth taking your time and figuring it out.

Advertisement