Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to upgrade from Laptop to Desktop

Options
  • 09-10-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I have no idea about computers but I use my laptop for gaming and it's about ready to die on me. I need to buy a gaming desktop but have no clue where to start.

1. What is your budget? €800.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games) Gaming. I play World of Warcraft *geek snort* Would like to be able to play it with the graphics settings higher than "basic" I would also want the laptop to be internet accessible for the likes of Facebook, Boards, etc...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) No.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] Not at the moment. May get a newer one eventually.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No] My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Got it in 2009. No idea what the monitor specs are. Plan to upgrade the screen in a couple of months.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Keyboard, Wireless Card, Card Reader, Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] I have NO idea what that even means so, no? :)

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Laser

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] In the next 2 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] North Dublin City

Any help and or tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    H81M board €50
    1tb HDD €50
    120gb SSD €60
    Case €50
    8gb RAM €40
    400w PSU €50
    GTX950 €160
    Total €650

Will be a very handy PC for general use for a few years, will blaze through WoW.

Put the rest of the money into a nice keyboard and mouse IMO

Prices from mindfactory.de

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have no idea about computers but I use my laptop for gaming and it's about ready to die on me.

I probably shouldn't comment, but that seems contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

i5 4460 €175
    H81M board €50
    1tb HDD €50
    120gb SSD €60
    Case €50
    8gb RAM €40
    400w PSU €50
    GTX950 €160
    Total €650

Will be a very handy PC for general use for a few years, will blaze through WoW.

Put the rest of the money into a nice keyboard and mouse IMO

Prices from mindfactory.de

Any questions ask away

Thanks for your help Digital Solitude. What would you suggest Operating System wise?

Also, would it be possible to upgrade to a 3GB+ graphics card? It probably isn't necessary but I have heard that many new games are made for 3GB+ and I don't want to limit myself if possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I don't think it'll make a major difference at 1080p but sure, the R9 280X is a 3gb card, it's about €225

If you go for the 280X, get a 500w PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jameschaplin zero

If you go with Digital Solitude's build I have some parts I could sell you at a discount. They're unopened and I need to get rid of them lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 danodafox

Hi sorry to spam ( if i am) but im selling my setup if your interested and can get the cash.

<snip>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

danodafox wrote: »
    Hi sorry to spam ( if i am)

You most certainly are :/

No talk of selling systems in this forum please. The Adverts thread is the sole exception to this and even then you can only link to your existing ads elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] Not at the moment. May get a newer one eventually.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No] My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Got it in 2009. No idea what the monitor specs are. Plan to upgrade the screen in a couple of months.

Just noticed this, and wanted to point out that if you're intending to use your laptop screen as the monitor, that won't work, as there's no video in to the screen as such, so you probably do need a monitor too.

Advertisement