Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple dispute - express replacement offer withdrawn

• 09-10-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody has had this issue with Apple or could shed any light on why this has happened.

Have a 6, the face camera has moved off centre, so I was left with a crescent shaped area from where the camera had shifted.
    It was still working so it didn't really bother me, however the past few weeks it's been dropping wifi all over the shop.
    I could have my iPad beside it working fine, but Iphone just wouldn't load pages, 3G it worked razor fast, but wifi was so hit and miss. I am positive it's not the router - tried several locations and my other stuff works fine.
    Soft reset, hard reset, factory reset, nothing helped.

Anyway, contacted Apple care, they ran a diagnostics whilst I spoke to them and agreed on an express replacement.
    Took 700 odd on hold from my card and 29 fee, said new phone would come in 48 hours.

4 days later I called them, they gave me a rep to deal with my case, apologised, refunded the 29 back and said phone would come the next day.
    2 days later i call back to my rep, who apologises profusely, 24 hours definitely.
    2 days later, she calls me and asked for proof of purchase, I email her my receipt.
    Thanks, new phone is on the way.
    2 days later, she calls back and say the repair dept have blocked my express repair and will only do a return repair, so no phone for 2 weeks.

Anyway, we had a bit of a fight on the phone, I had been very very pleasant up until then, but she said she could offer no reason, or other options.

Has anybody had this happen ? I'm pretty confused over the withdrawal of express replacement.

Not relevant but the phone is like new still and has the original plastic backing on it and has been in a case since purchase.
    So no 3rd party repairs etc.

For the record, had they simply offered a return repair / replacement at the start, I wouldn't have minded, but all the messing meant phone not working correctly for 2 weeks, now 2 weeks no phone.

If you're still reading, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody has had this issue with Apple or could shed any light on why this has happened.

Have a 6, the face camera has moved off centre, so I was left with a crescent shaped area from where the camera had shifted.
    It was still working so it didn't really bother me, however the past few weeks it's been dropping wifi all over the shop.
    I could have my iPad beside it working fine, but Iphone just wouldn't load pages, 3G it worked razor fast, but wifi was so hit and miss. I am positive it's not the router - tried several locations and my other stuff works fine.
    Soft reset, hard reset, factory reset, nothing helped.

Anyway, contacted Apple care, they ran a diagnostics whilst I spoke to them and agreed on an express replacement.
    Took 700 odd on hold from my card and 29 fee, said new phone would come in 48 hours.

4 days later I called them, they gave me a rep to deal with my case, apologised, refunded the 29 back and said phone would come the next day.
    2 days later i call back to my rep, who apologises profusely, 24 hours definitely.
    2 days later, she calls me and asked for proof of purchase, I email her my receipt.
    Thanks, new phone is on the way.
    2 days later, she calls back and say the repair dept have blocked my express repair and will only do a return repair, so no phone for 2 weeks.

Anyway, we had a bit of a fight on the phone, I had been very very pleasant up until then, but she said she could offer no reason, or other options.

Has anybody had this happen ? I'm pretty confused over the withdrawal of express replacement.

Not relevant but the phone is like new still and has the original plastic backing on it and has been in a case since purchase.
    So no 3rd party repairs etc.

For the record, had they simply offered a return repair / replacement at the start, I wouldn't have minded, but all the messing meant phone not working correctly for 2 weeks, now 2 weeks no phone.

If you're still reading, thanks :)
    Sounds like the story is missing a few facts, tbh. I've had to use their support s few times and it's never been that difficult. They obviously have a reason for this (or think they have). The sooner they let you in on the secret the better. Personally if I were you I'd call back, ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for a fill explanation, just for your own peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get on to customer care I had a disaster with them the last time but once I complained they couldn't have done enough, there usually bang on wouldn't let anyone else touch my phone.
    Have to ask why don't you take off the plastic packing that's only for packing it's not meant to stay on under the case throw it away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Where did you buy the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

Again ask for a supervisor in Cork. Except nothing but a replacement. Ask for his/her contact number and email, deal only through that, keep going until you get what you're entitled to. I and many here have despite the one who say you won't can't and aren't entitled to. Me new phone, sold in box the minute it arrived and up graded to 6s plus for very little money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Thanks for the replies,
    I have been dealing with a supervisor in cork, she says she doesn't know why it's been cancelled.
    She said she couldn't budge, I asked her to try her supervisor again, she said she would but she doesn't have anywhere to go with it, there's nobody else between her and repair centre.
    I get the impression that I was one of a good few calls she had made that day.
    As when I called to enquiry at the beginning, she said there were a number of phone replacements delayed at the shipping depot.

No facts being left out that I'm aware of from my end, I'm not after a sneaky cheap upgrade either, it was only pure fluke that I caught it close to the end of my warranty - I haven't even looked at the 6s spec / prices etc

I always keep the plastic film on the back on anything I keep in a case, it's always a nice resale positive.

I agree with Apple not usually being difficult, which is why I'm surprised.

Maybe they are simply cracking down on replacements so close to the launch of the 6s, but why offer an express replacement if that's the case.

Bought the phone unlocked from the shop, no issues there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's nothing to do a 6s anyway, they'll always have plenty of stock of the previous model. Their CS seems to have regressed 15 years they way they are dealing with a few people lately, not at all like they have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I don't know how it works, but would there be an issue with the credit card they put the hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Sounds like there is a temp. shortage of new replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

No issue with the credit card, the money was refunded yesterday, along with the 29, and a €1 charge to check the card was ok.

I just found it very strange that she couldn't or wouldn't give me a reason.

The diagnostics must have shown the issues for them to offer a replacement.

The cs is usually great, I use iPads as our till system in the restaurants , and have 42 of them, one went down a few months back and they replaced within 36 hours, no issues.

I just found this situation bizarre, though I've calmed down now, I was raging yesterday. Feel very messed around - esp as no answers / reasons given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

No issue with the credit card, the money was refunded yesterday, along with the 29, and a €1 charge to check the card was ok.

I just found it very strange that she couldn't or wouldn't give me a reason.

The diagnostics must have shown the issues for them to offer a replacement.

The cs is usually great, I use iPads as our till system in the restaurants , and have 42 of them, one went down a few months back and they replaced within 36 hours, no issues.

I just found this situation bizarre, though I've calmed down now, I was raging yesterday. Feel very messed around - esp as no answers / reasons given

I don't blame you. Had a similar experience. Ended up having to go to Belfast for a replacement from the store waited nearly 4 hours to be seen. We pay for a premium product and if that product is faulty, premium service should be offered. Apple make enough GP on their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Hi, just a quick question, with the express replacement programme for €29 Apple told me it will be a brand new phone never been used before ie not a refurbished phone is this correct? There is no water or physical damage to phone i am eligible due to the white crescent so i shouldnt be charged the hold amount on my card at all am i correct? Any info would be great, never did this before!

Also, do CompuB do replacements for iphones the way an Apple shop does?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

numbernine wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question, with the express replacement programme for €29 Apple told me it will be a brand new phone never been used before ie not a refurbished phone is this correct? There is no water or physical damage to phone i am eligible due to the white crescent so i shouldnt be charged the hold amount on my card at all am i correct? Any info would be great, never did this before!

Also, do CompuB do replacements for iphones the way an Apple shop does?

Thanks!

They send you a brand new "refurb" if that's any help to you.
    The €29 fee is for ups delivery and he gives you the refurb and then you give him back the faulty phone the next day when your up and running with the replacement.

Compu b are only a middleman, so wouldn't do the apple replacement thing. Only get that from Apple themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I had a rotten experience with an express replacement of my 6 plus for the iSight issue recently.
    Apple had my correct address but the UPS label was missing most of my company name and the town which delayed delivery by two days.
    The return package was collected the following morning by a guy in a white van and four days later, the package still wasn't showing up on the UPS tracking system which got me seriously worried, especially when UPS told me there was no record of it ever having been picked up! Apparently UPS are now subcontracting deliveries/collections out to local couriers in Galway city and it turned out that the phone spent 4 days travelling around in a courier van before finally being delivered to the UPS depot in Shannon & scanned in.
    In the end, the whole process took a very stressful 10 days and I doubt that I'll use the express service again given the poor accountability/traceability on expensive devices against which there is a sizeable hold on your credit card. Luckily I'm in the UK fairly regularly so it'll be Genius Bar appointments for me from now on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Lumi wrote: »
    I had a rotten experience with an express replacement of my 6 plus for the iSight issue recently.
    Apple had my correct address but the UPS label was missing most of my company name and the town which delayed delivery by two days.
    The return package was collected the following morning by a guy in a white van and four days later, the package still wasn't showing up on the UPS tracking system which got me seriously worried, especially when UPS told me there was no record of it ever having been picked up! Apparently UPS are now subcontracting deliveries/collections out to local couriers in Galway city and it turned out that the phone spent 4 days travelling around in a courier van before finally being delivered to the UPS depot in Shannon & scanned in.
    In the end, the whole process took a very stressful 10 days and I doubt that I'll use the express service again given the poor accountability/traceability on expensive devices against which there is a sizeable hold on your credit card. Luckily I'm in the UK fairly regularly so it'll be Genius Bar appointments for me from now on.

There is a spare label/receipt in the paperwork which you should always get the driver to sign for you. This has airwaybill details etc, and will serve as proof of shipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

If it helps, I'm having a similar issue, took over a week for the express replacement to be sent out.

The person on the phone told me they've been having issues with their replacement system and all replacements were delayed l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is a spare label/receipt in the paperwork which you should always get the driver to sign for you. This has airwaybill details etc, and will serve as proof of shipment.

The spare label wasn't provided in this case - actually I didn't get one for the last three express replacements I've done though they did used to supply them.

It took four days before the package was transferred to Shannon from Galway and scanned into UPS tracking by the local courier they subcontracted the collection to. Up until that happened UPS were arguing that they had no record of the package being collected and they didn't have it. I had the drivers signature in the returns instruction booklet but UPS were certainly not accepting that as proof of shipment.

In the meantime because of the delayed delivery etc I was getting emails from Apple saying that I had three days left to return the device otherwise they were going to charge my credit card and no one could tell me where my device was!
    After a lot of phone calls Apple agreed to extend the return period out to 30 days and it all worked out in the end but I'm not putting myself through that again.

The spare label wasn't provided in this case - actually I didn't get one for the last three express replacements I've done though they did used to supply them.

It took four days before the package was transferred to Shannon from Galway and scanned into UPS tracking by the local courier they subcontracted the collection to. Up until that happened UPS were arguing that they had no record of the package being collected and they didn't have it. I had the drivers signature in the returns instruction booklet but UPS were certainly not accepting that as proof of shipment.

In the meantime because of the delayed delivery etc I was getting emails from Apple saying that I had three days left to return the device otherwise they were going to charge my credit card and no one could tell me where my device was!
    After a lot of phone calls Apple agreed to extend the return period out to 30 days and it all worked out in the end but I'm not putting myself through that again.

I wouldn't let them get their hands on it until I have driver signature, and waybill number signed for somewhere. After that its UPS' problem, no mine. Apple won't be too impressed if thats the standard UPS are implementing.
    SHouldn't have anything to do with you once you have the driver signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I had a similar problem. My number was not on the return address. So the driver could not ring me. I had no tracking number coming back from being fixed. Neither did Apple. I was even accused of having taken delivery which scared the crap out me, he was quite rude to me. so I complained about him when I was asked for feedback. I ended up being a signed a case officer. Got a free iPod shuffle out of it in the end. But now the camera has moved again arghhh.
    Overall the experience was quite negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I had a similar problem. My number was not on the return address. So the driver could not ring me. I had no tracking number coming back from being fixed. Neither did Apple. I was even accused of having taken delivery which scared the crap out me, he was quite rude to me. so I complained about him when I was asked for feedback. I ended up being a signed a case officer. Got a free iPod shuffle out of it in the end. But now the camera has moved again arghhh.
    Overall the experience was quite negative.

I just got my 6+ picked up today for the free isight fix. My serial number is eligible for the free fix.
    There was no label for driver to sign so got him to sign the little booklet with a tracking number.
    Luckily the driver rang me beforehand as they made a balls of my address.
    Let's hope thethe return goes better.

Advertisement