Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block a thread from Google?

Options
  • 10-10-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know how well Boards can perform in Google search results and was wondering is there any way for an OP to set a thread as non-indexable to search bots?

I want to open a thread in the Personal Issues forum regarding a specific disorder and I don't want my friend who suffers from this disorder to search Google next week and discover my thread on the first page of Google.

Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There is robots.txt file which tells search engines which pages to not index. I would imagine allowing posters to disallow their threads would make this file huge in a short space of time. Also probably overall it's bad idea for the site as they get let hits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This isn't feasible to do. And would need dev work to accomplish, and they're scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

OK, no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement