Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader taking on temporary employee

Options
  • 10-10-2015 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right place for this but I need some advice that I am not getting from Google :)
    I am a sole trader but I will be away for 3 weeks later on in the year and I was wondering about taking on an employee for a couple of days a week for those three weeks. Is it more hassle than its worth with regards to registering with revenue as an employer etc? This will only be a one off as there is not room for both if us to work together even if it got very busy so its just for the three weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Gee_G wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right place for this but I need some advice that I am not getting from Google :)
    I am a sole trader but I will be away for 3 weeks later on in the year and I was wondering about taking on an employee for a couple of days a week for those three weeks. Is it more hassle than its worth with regards to registering with revenue as an employer etc? This will only be a one off as there is not room for both if us to work together even if it got very busy so its just for the three weeks.

Could you use a temp agency and avoid the employment issues completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is there an issue with getting them in as a sub-contractor, invoicing you for the work done, and then they sort out their tax themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

You see I have a person lined up to do it(or have asked them to do it) its someone that I know, trust and know that they're good at their job, but they're already in part time employment so I'd say neither of those options would work.
    Hard to know what to do!!

Gee_G wrote: »
    You see I have a person lined up to do it(or have asked them to do it) its someone that I know, trust and know that they're good at their job, but they're already in part time employment so I'd say neither of those options would work.
    Hard to know what to do!!

Of course the sub-contractor option can work as they can just do their own tax return at the end of the tax year through their additional earnings on the ROS system

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A temp agency would also be prepared to work that way, too. You'd be paying them a rate which needs to cover the employer PRSI, holiday pay and their profit - but it may be worth it in terms of reduced hassle.

Really it depends on whether the person you've linked up is prepared to sole-trade.

Oh - and you also need to consider employer liability insurance issues, too.

• Advertisement

A temp agency would also be prepared to work that way, too. You'd be paying them a rate which needs to cover the employer PRSI, holiday pay and their profit - but it may be worth it in terms of reduced hassle.

Really it depends on whether the person you've linked up is prepared to sole-trade.

Oh - and you also need to consider employer liability insurance issues, too.

You also need to pay a rate of about 50% above the industry standard. For example you'd expect to pay a CDP in a kitchen about €11.50ph whereas if you go through an agency then you'd be paying close to 18, the chef themselves still gets 11.50 though. The agency charges this margin to find you the right person for the job, but if OP has already done this then why bother going through an agency?

Advertisement