Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-end lipbalm help!

Options
  • 10-10-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I wonder if you could recommend a good high-end lip-balm?

I've been using lip-balm for years and I'm in a catch 22 because my lips are so dry if I don't use lip-balm but I know using too much lip-balm can make lips dry.

So it's safe to say I have to wear the stuff, otherwise my lips feel awful.
    Anyway, the problem is, Vaseline only seems to sit on the surface of my lips and I have to reapply it every 20 minutes or so.

I've tried Carmex but couldn't stand the taste and I've tried Labello, but the thing is, I have to keep reapplying them all the time because they disappear from my lips and I have that dreaded dryness again.

So I'm thinking of buying a good lip-balm and I'm willing to spend €20-€30 on one if it's really good and will actually keep my lips soft.
    Any suggestions girls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

I know it's not high-end but personally I find the Eucerin lip balm amazing, it's about €8 in Boots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know it's not high-end but personally I find the Eucerin lip balm amazing, it's about €8 in Boots

How often do you need to apply it?
    Is it creamy or a jelly-type?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I find burts bees great, ive tried others over the years when I couldn't get it and was never happy with them. My lips are so bad I panic if I don't have a stick of lip balm available. A friend swears by kiehls which is a bit more pricey but I've never used that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Lanolips is good. You can get it in boots for about €14. Nuxe have a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I love the Nuxe Reve De Miel Lip Balm, it's quite thick but it lasts for ages on my lips. Because of how thick it is I do find that I need to rub it around my lips for a minute or two so it's not as thick and sticky.

http://www.cloud10beauty.com/brands/nuxe/reve-de-miel-lip-balm-html.html

A jar of it lasts me around four maybe five months. I use it maybe 3-4 times a day, and at night time too, and when I wake up the following morning, I can still feel it on my lips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

+ 1 on the lanolips (I get it in Boots).

I had very dry lips, and this was the only thing I used that sorted them. The relief when I put it on the first time, I kid you not I just about cried.

Plus gives a lovely sheen.

Oh and another tip for dry lips, dont lick them, or if you do, wipe saliva off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

OMG I discovered THE BEST lip product from a beauty blogger, it's the Blistex Relief Cream. I've tried EVERYTHING from 8 hour cream to Reve de Miel from Nuxe and trust me when I say nothing fixes my lips like this does. It's really good stuff, almost medicinal.

I apply it regularly throughout the day but a generous layer at night and my lips are hydrated and smooth in the morning. If I don't use it for a while and they get dry/chapped/cracked I apply this at night and they are literally brand new by the morning time.

Amazing product. Around 3-4 euro and Boots don't sell it but most chemists do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

La roche posay and burts bees are my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

fartyarse wrote: »
    OMG I discovered THE BEST lip product from a beauty blogger, it's the Blistex Relief Cream. I've tried EVERYTHING from 8 hour cream to Reve de Miel from Nuxe and trust me when I say nothing fixes my lips like this does. It's really good stuff, almost medicinal.

I apply it regularly throughout the day but a generous layer at night and my lips are hydrated and smooth in the morning. If I don't use it for a while and they get dry/chapped/cracked I apply this at night and they are literally brand new by the morning time.

Amazing product. Around 3-4 euro and Boots don't sell it but most chemists do.
    I use this as well, its amazing. I forgot to mention it in my previous post.

I get mine in Boots though, so they do sell it, just not in every store. :)

If you have any rosehip oil, massage in one or two drops last thing at night to treat very dry lips. It works wonders and I find I use less balm since I started doing this.

I don't like the Nuxe one myself, and I wouldn't use Vaseline at all. Burts Bees, and the Palmers cocoa butter ones are good to keep handy, and the Aveeno one is excellent too. None of those are pricey. I'm not big on the EA 8 hour balm, it's a bit Vaseliney for me. The Blistex Lip Massage one is great for already chapped lips, and the Blistex medicated is good in the short term only but seems drying after a week or so's consecutive use.

Overall, I'd avoid the petroleum jelly based ones and go for the cocoa butter and/or the beeswax balms, and massage a drop of oil in at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Candie wrote: »
    If you have any rosehip oil, massage in one or two drops last thing at night to treat very dry lips. It works wonders and I find I use less balm since I started doing this.

I don't like the Nuxe one myself, and I wouldn't use Vaseline at all. Burts Bees, and the Palmers cocoa butter ones are good to keep handy, and the Aveeno one is excellent too. None of those are pricey. I'm not big on the EA 8 hour balm, it's a bit Vaseliney for me. The Blistex Lip Massage one is great for already chapped lips, and the Blistex medicated is good in the short term only but seems drying after a week or so's consecutive use.

Overall, I'd avoid the petroleum jelly based ones and go for the cocoa butter and/or the beeswax balms, and massage a drop of oil in at night.

Thanks for all that info, I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

Candie wrote: »

I don't like the Nuxe balm either. Can't stand the grit!

I don't like the Nuxe balm either. Can't stand the grit!

I wasn't expecting the grit at all, I thought it was contaminated. The grit is useless anyway, I don't understand it's purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

I find the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour lip treatment to be very effective and great for every day use.

Blistex is great for the Winter months if lips are chapped however I would not use it daily unless I had that problem.

Spotted the Eos lip balms in my local Boots a couple of weeks ago. I had plenty of points so thought I'd splurge. Wow what a disappointment. Definitely not worth the €8.99 price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I love Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. I use it mainly for lips, but great for cuticles also.

I also like the Clarins Lip oil

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

L'occitane 100% Shea butter. It's about €10 and comes in a small tub. It's amazing, I haven't had dry lips since I started using it and a little bit goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 for Blistex. I'm a lipgloss addict so go through spells of very dry lips. A few days of Blistex and they're grand again. I'm not mad on the smell of it (medicinally) but it's so soothing once you apply you forget the smell pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I love Molton Brown Vitamin Lip Saver. It's really luxurious and feels great on the lips. They used to do a Wonder Lips Booster that came in a pen but seems to be discontinued. That was also amazing.

I also like Dior Addict Lip Glow (the pink one) It's like a balm/lipstick in one. Hydrating and creamy but has a slight tint (supposed to change colour to match your lips) so depends if you want that or not.

Also love Burts Bees (the one with the mint), so refreshing.

My OH swears by Eucerin Dry Skin Intensive Lip Balm. He's often in air conditioned buildings that really dry the skin out but this works really well for him. Haven't tried it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Blistex MedPlus (blue pot) has menthol in it - which I like - but it is part of that catch 22 problem, it causes the very problem it cures.

I find the tubes of Burtsbees, Ren, Carmex all fairly similar - and all wear away quickly. Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour is just too medicated smelling for me.

Bobbi Browns's pot is nice, my second choice at the moment - but not quite as nice a taste.

Some new ideas in this thread for me to try though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

+1 for Nuxe here...i love it!! I don't think its actually meant to be gritty, I've had about 4 pots of it and only one was gritty - I think (and this is pure guesswork here) that it could be something to do with it being too warm and then cooled down causing the formula to crystallise. Obviously the "grit" doesn't do any harm though, it does disappear once you rub it in!

• Advertisement

Just to add to this. I know some people have used and liked EOS, so obviously it doesn't go for everyone. I got EOS last year and used it daily for a week, and by the end of the week I'd really dry, cracked lips. I might just have had an allergy to one of the ingredients, but I've never had that reaction to other products. My lip line developed tiny blackheads that took a while to clear, and they haven't been back since, again it's something I've never had before so I think it's connected to the EOS.

Just a warning to anyone trying it, quit at the first sign of trouble rather than giving it a few more days, like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

+1 for Nuxe. I am addicted to lipbalm - if i go out without one, I'll have to buy one...and I bought the Nuxe one in the airport. I love that it's properly balmy so my lights feel moisturised for ages. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I Use elizabeth arden 8 hour cream, used to be a vaseline lover.

Now this is all i use....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 silvercrown

Burt's bees mango butter is really amazing for chapped lips in winter. Smell is nice and not overpowering. I used to have the same problem as you; i'd have to reapply lipbalms and vaseline every half hour, now I only apply after about 4-5 hrs (It's a combination of drinking more water and using better lipcare products).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 silvercrown

shakencat wrote: »
    I Use elizabeth arden 8 hour cream, used to be a vaseline lover.

Now this is all i use....

I used to use a lot of vaseline too- would go through a small tin every 2 months. I found a more natural alternative; it's by Figs & rouge, the flavour is aloe & mint and its 100% natural- no petroleum oil. its also in a tin form as well. I think you can find this in Boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Burts Bees.Say no more! For dire, bad, cracked lips,I use some Bepanthen at night before I go to sleep.It is MIRACULOUS.

Advertisement