Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IM event planned for the UK

Options
  • 10-10-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

It was announced yesterday that Iron Man have a new event planned for the UK.

I can't post links yet so story pasted below. It will be announced next week and no details whether its a full or 70.3.

I'll start the rumour that its Belfast and see how long it takes to get back.

An exciting expansion into new venues is planned for next year.

Coming off its most successful year in history, IRONMAN continues to venture into new territory, and will be adding a series of new races including events in Dubai, Estonia, Sweden and the United Kingdom. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Estonia are two countries that have never hosted IRONMAN events before. With IRONMAN 70.3 Jönköping, IRONMAN added a second race in Sweden after successfully establishing IRONMAN Kalmar in 2012. In total the 2016 IRONMAN European Tour will consist of more than 40 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events.

"Our athlete base has grown from 57,000 in 2014 to more than 73,000 in 2015, and we clearly see a demand for more races," said Thomas Dieckhoff, Chief Executive Officer for IRONMAN Europe, Middle East and Africa. "We are dedicated to delivering the IRONMAN experience in more countries, and our new races – IRONMAN 70.3 Dubai in UAE and IRONMAN 70.3 Otepää in Estonia – clearly show the progress we are making," Dieckhoff added. "We are convinced that our new race in Dubai will attract considerable athletes in UAE as Estonia will also attract a substantial number of athletes from Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Russia."

After successfully establishing IRONMAN UK, IRONMAN Wales, IRONMAN 70.3 Exmoor and IRONMAN 70.3 Staffordshire, IRONMAN will also add a new event in the United Kingdom in the coming months. More information will be available soon.

In addition, information on new races in Italy will be released at a special event in Rome on October 17, 2015.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Me thinks Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

http://www.tri247.com/article_14411.html

Tiz a new 70.3 event which could be anywhere. I would be surprised to see a second one in Ireland this soon. I would have thought north of England for a full IM but then thinking about weather there is going to be limits on early or late and the middle of the season is jammed already.

Year 1 numbers are no guarantee to year 2 as Galway has proven in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Vincepl

There definitely seems to be a saturation of Iron distance events at the moment. Ironman UK at both Wales and Bolton are still available well over a month after opening and Barcelona is still open despite predictions that it would sell out in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Vincepl wrote: »
    There definitely seems to be a saturation of Iron distance events at the moment. Ironman UK at both Wales and Bolton are still available well over a month after opening and Barcelona is still open despite predictions that it would sell out in a couple of days.

Unlike Bolton and Wales last year Barcelona was open quite long and despite success this year I wasn't expecting too big difference all of a sudden. They'll probably get it sold out a bit sooner but wouldn't make sense that after a year they were open for few months (I think) they would be sold out within days. Main problem being, IMO again, late date which is for most quite (recreational at least) off-season already...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Vincepl wrote: »

the increase of particpants in europe speak a different language. around a 30 % increase in participant in 1 year i think

also really people should not enter those expensive races so early.

as a matter of fact the oldest IM race in europe lanazarotte until aoubt 6-8 years ago never sold out. Zurich harldy ever seels out before june .

in an interview in german .england was clearly mentioned as the location and i think also london market was mentioned so likley south east the thing is we should focus much more on non branded races and discuss them.
    Ironmn dublin thread really does not need 180 000 hits to promote a brand that does very well indeed indipendant races need the support.

especially those races that seem to have been left high and dry this year with the liqidation of a timming chip company

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

officially announced, they are taking over the challenge weymouth race, full and half distance race at weymouth next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

This might tempt me. Only 30 WC slots though, I'd have to bring my A-game.

Advertisement