Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running alarm cable underground

Options
  • 10-10-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

In the process of planning a new shed installation, currently thinking about running power, alarm and ethernet cables. The alarm cable will be used for a PIR.

I have an existing bog standard alarm system in the house, was put in during the build by the original owners, by the electrician i'd say. Can't see a make or model on it anywhere..

I'm looking at about a 25 meter run, and am planning an underground run. I'll run the cables and then get an electrician and alarm guy in to do the terminations. Ethernet, I'll handle myself.

My questions:
    Can i put all the cables in the one conduit?? Will I need shielded cable for interference??
    Does the alarm cable need to be special type of cable for underground??
    Any other issues I'm not thinking of??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

I just did an install similar 50 metre run,used a wavin 4inch duct and used swa for power and duct grade alarm and cat5e cable all in same pipe no issues..swa cat5e is stupid money..poly poly duct grade is what i used

Gryzor wrote: »
    In the process of planning a new shed installation, currently thinking about running power, alarm and ethernet cables. The alarm cable will be used for a PIR.

I have an existing bog standard alarm system in the house, was put in during the build by the original owners, by the electrician i'd say. Can't see a make or model on it anywhere..

I'm looking at about a 25 meter run, and am planning an underground run. I'll run the cables and then get an electrician and alarm guy in to do the terminations. Ethernet, I'll handle myself.

My questions:
    Can i put all the cables in the one conduit?? Will I need shielded cable for interference??
    Does the alarm cable need to be special type of cable for underground??
    Any other issues I'm not thinking of??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

bazbrady wrote: »
    I just did an install similar 50 metre run,used a wavin 4inch duct and used swa for power and duct grade alarm and cat5e cable all in same pipe no issues..swa cat5e is stupid money..poly poly duct grade is what i used

Did you use shielded cat5, and how deep did you bury the ducting?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Gryzor wrote: »
    Did you use shielded cat5, and how deep did you bury the ducting?

Its just duct grade cat5e...each twisted pair is shielded and then an outer shield..like poly poly cable..armour cat5e is overkill if you put it in a duct..duct is wavin 4inch buried about a metre but thats just cause we had a digger.id imagine you could bury it a foot or two in a back garden...mine was across a driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

We use hydrodare to run cables in. Very tough and flexible as well.

Advertisement