Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 Hornet

Options
  • 10-10-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

As usual I'm information gathering for a future purchase.
    I'm looking to purchase a .17HMR and have fairly well made up my mind on the thumbhole CZ ........... but during my research I have come across the .17 Hornet and it has tweeked my interest.
    A quick trawl on Borads turned up a few threads but nothing fresh, so here are my questions-

Is there anyone here using one, if so could you post a review etc?

Are there .17 Hornet stockists here in Ireland?

If not, what options are there for acquiring one?

Any input on the subject much appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

I'm looking to purchase a .17HMR and have fairly well made up my mind on the thumbhole CZ ........... but during my research I have come across the .17 Hornet and it has tweeked my interest.
    A quick trawl on Borads turned up a few threads but nothing fresh, so here are my questions-

Thanks
    Hi there, I have one here. It's a rebarrelled .22 hornet. I would say a gun dealer would be able to get in a new one if ya wanted it. I find it ideal for carrying around and lamping. It is very accurate and great for foxes and rabbits. I read reports saying it doesn't leave an exit hole on foxes but if they are shot side on at less than one hundred yards they do leave a small one. So there is fair punch in the little 17. Boxes of ammo are around €16 for 20 ballistic tip v-max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thanks kelslat,

I had a feeling that rebarreling here was the most likely scenario. On my trawls for the .17 I've come across a good few hornets and they are certainly holding some decent value for a gun that was supposed to be eclipsed by the .223 etc.

I am pleasantly surprised at the cost of the rounds, I had expected them to be dearer, but even so, a bit rich for bashing bunnies.

Do the ballistics in terms of trajectory live up to the hipe and how is it in the wind?

Thanks

Thanks kelslat,

I had a feeling that rebarreling here was the most likely scenario. On my trawls for the .17 I've come across a good few hornets and they are certainly holding some decent value for a gun that was supposed to be eclipsed by the .223 etc.

I am pleasantly surprised at the cost of the rounds, I had expected them to be dearer, but even so, a bit rich for bashing bunnies.

Do the ballistics in terms of trajectory live up to the hipe and how is it in the wind?

Thanks
    At 250 yards .17 20g vmax blows 9.2 inches in a 10 mile per hour 90 degree wind and a .223 55g vmax blows 7.3 inches. This is going by the ballistic charts.
    If ya want to bash bunnys the rimfires are best, but if you want to shoot foxes as well you will get better performance with a centrefire. Ideally a .17 hmr for rabbits and a .223 for foxes would be good but at the moment the 17 hornet does both for me. It's a light rifle there is no recoil worth mentioning and it isn't to loud either.

Thanks for the information, time to ponder......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Thanks
    I just licensed a 17 hornet, going out today to zero, hornady 20gr v max are about 30euro per box of 25, sellior and bellot are about 17 euro per box of 25

• Advertisement

I just licensed a 17 hornet, going out today to zero, hornady 20gr v max are about 30euro per box of 25, sellior and bellot are about 17 euro per box of 25
    That rifle looks good. Let us know what you think of the accuracy and the general performance. I don't know of anyone else here on boards.ie that has one only the two of us. I paid €16 for 20 sellier and bellot. I found them as good as the hornady.

kelslat wrote: »
    That rifle looks good. Let us know what you think of the accuracy and the general performance. I don't know of anyone else here on boards.ie that has one only the two of us. I paid €16 for 20 sellier and bellot. I found them as good as the hornady.

Did you buy them in nenagh, I got mine with the rifle at cost price, ya I believe the s&b are as good, will keep you posted

Did you buy them in nenagh, I got mine with the rifle at cost price, ya I believe the s&b are as good, will keep you posted

Meant to ask are s&b only in boxes of 20, hornady are boxes of 25 still a good price though

I got them in nenagh. I think you are right that they are €17 per box but if you buy more than 3 boxes you get them for €16.

Meant to ask are s&b only in boxes of 20, hornady are boxes of 25 still a good price though
    I think they only come in boxes of twenty. I won't bodder with the hornady ones again. Enjoy zeroing!

• Advertisement

Nice looking set up, I take it that s another rebarrel job.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

This is just my opinion but if I were you I'd go ahead and get the 17 hmr it's an all round great round and a lot cheaper than the 17 hornet and as a shooter that's owned a 17hmr iv shot plenty of foxes with it aswell as rabbits and greys they are so accurate ya have to shoot to believe my self and a friend of mine would compete on shooting 1cent and 5 cent coins at 100 yards and with the proper set up like quality scope rings and suppressor your going to have lots of fun and it won't break the bank when your plinking steel targets at up to 300 yards for fun with your mates on a calm evening . If ya want a fox rifle then just buy a .223 but for all round fun and cost I'd still go with 17 hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭nedcbr6

Hi deerhunter1
    Waz thinking of getting 17 hornet myself
    Just seeing how I got on with it
    What it like to shot honest opinion
    Was it a rebarreling job
    Who do it for you
    Thkz a mill for ur help

nedcbr6 wrote: »
    Hi deerhunter1
    Waz thinking of getting 17 hornet myself
    Just seeing how I got on with it
    What it like to shot honest opinion
    Was it a rebarreling job
    Who do it for you
    Thkz a mill for ur help

it is a cz527 with a stainless fluted remington barrel,the chamber was cut with a match reamer, pat sludds fitted an adjustable cheek piece, serious accurate piece of kit

it is a cz527 with a stainless fluted remington barrel,the chamber was cut with a match reamer, pat sludds fitted an adjustable cheek piece, serious accurate piece of kit

Went out to zero today,The three rounds in the middle one above the other were Hornady 20gr,the four on the Right were Sellior & Bellot 20gr, Range 104yrds,slight wind,I know I can get them all on a 2 euro coin,was not in the best of comfortable posiitions,but grey crows,magpies,foxes watch out.
    Burris 8x32 30mm tube

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭nedcbr6

Went out to zero today,The three rounds in the middle one above the other were Hornady 20gr,the four on the Right were Sellior & Bellot 20gr, Range 104yrds,slight wind,I know I can get them all on a 2 euro coin,was not in the best of comfortable posiitions,but grey crows,magpies,foxes watch out.
    Burris 8x32 30mm tube

Look savage nice bit of kit
    Mean to ask what length barrel is on her and what mod did u get for her
    Cheerz

Advertisement