Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Recommendations Southside

Options
  • 10-10-2015 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi, I was hoping for some rec's for a vet around the southside of Cork City.

Our new rescue dog needs to be micro-chipped and vaccinated. We will need to neuter her in a few weeks too once she's settled in. Any recommendations for a nice (and kind and competant!) vet around the southside? Our last vets were based out of the Sunbeam (would recommend highly myself) but it makes more sense to go somewhere closer to home. I have been recommended Gillabbey (but sometimes hard to get an appt) and the vets by the Fingerpost roundabout in Douglas. She's a small crossbreed.

Any tips/experiences? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

There is a fantastic vets by Smyths Kinsale Rd called Tobys...I got my dog spayed there & he does keyhole. She was perfect straight afterwards. There is also one by mahon point he is more expensive tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hi, I was hoping for some rec's for a vet around the southside of Cork City.

Our new rescue dog needs to be micro-chipped and vaccinated. We will need to neuter her in a few weeks too once she's settled in. Any recommendations for a nice (and kind and competant!) vet around the southside? Our last vets were based out of the Sunbeam (would recommend highly myself) but it makes more sense to go somewhere closer to home. I have been recommended Gillabbey (but sometimes hard to get an appt) and the vets by the Fingerpost roundabout in Douglas. She's a small crossbreed.

My dog is a rescue too that had also been at Sunbeam first and then we switched over :).

Gillabbey. Without a doubt. They're amazing. I've used them for years. My dog had surgery on one of his legs before the summer and they took excellent care of him. All the staff there are fantastic.

I've heard good things about Toby's on the Kinsale rd, Gould's in Mahon (beside the CSPCA) and Abbeyville in Togher too.

From what i've heard about Fingerpost vets, i would avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I take my cat to the Animal Care Hospital at the Fingerpost roundabout in Douglas. I find the staff are lovely and they always take amazing care of my kitty. We got everything done there (vaccinations, microchip and spay) and got a discount as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Its very much appreciated. I'm anxious to get the chip and shots done as soon as possible so I'll do a ring around on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have to say Dec the Vet in the Mills in douglas is great.. have had dealings with a few of the mentioned above and he tops them all... He will do anything to help and so kind to the animals and not expensive at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Gilabbey Veterinary hospital.
    They look after Fota's animals , so they obviously know what they are at
    We've always brought our cats there. Great service and by people who genuinely love animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

+1 for gilabbey vets have had to use them twice for referrals from my vet in the country normally involving an emergency dash of 100 miles, they have been fantastic and if we lived in cork we would use them all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Thanks for all of the replies. Very much appreciated. I rang around a few vets this morning and I found Gillabbey suited our needs the most. It's close enough to where we live and the appointment system seems straightforward. They even suggested I bring her in early this week for a free checkup etc but I booked her in anyway for her microchip and shots. Very obliging to deal with so far.

Advertisement