Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Is Strange - Wireless Adapter Not Performing

Options
  • 10-10-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with my wireless adapter in my desktop.

Last year, I built a gaming computer, nothing too wild, price conscious, taking advice from peeps here actually. :D

Until now, I've been using powerline adapters but just as a matter of interest, I decided to test my wifi as I'm literally less than 12 feet from the router.

I have 200MB UPC (or Virgin as of this week apparently) so I presumed I would get about 50MB wirelessly.

I've tested my laptop wirelessly on the same desk as my desktop and I get 49.9Mbps. On the desktop, 4 inches away, I get 3.3Mbps..... :confused:

I've checked the driver for the adapter and it tells me it's up to date. Could it be physically installed incorrectly perhaps? Although I thought not as the computer recognizes it and it's semi-functional.

I've attached an image of the setup so if anyone could shed any form of light on this I would really appreciate it.

Also, this is the network adapter I'm using:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BSPTAQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows doesnt know if the driver is up to date 90% of the time, its database is useless. You have to do it manually.

First thing Id check is that the antennas are properly screwed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you checking them both at the same time ? If so check them alternately - one then the other. You probably already know that you are in fact checking your internet speed and not your WiFi speed ?

What are the speeds like with the wall plugs ? The antennae for the Tower machine are buried behind that case, have you tried moving the case out into the open and try again ? Have you installed all the chipset drivers for your PC ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Ok, tried a few things.

Updated the driver manually, you were right, windows didn't detect the most recent version. Still no result, approximately 3.5Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.

Pulled the unit out into the middle of the floor and saw a marginal increase on my first run, 6Mbps, but on the second, back down to 3.5Mbps.

With the wall plugs I get approx 25-30Mbps. I've investigated this before and most people concurred that because my house was built in the mid 80s, I'm losing most of the 200Mbps due to the old wiring. Either way, I'm told that you will lose a considerable amount with wall plugs, regardless of the wiring.

I'm perplexed. I though there might be interference, but then why would my laptop perform so well.

If I run a network cable directly to the router, it tests at 195Mbps off peak.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll keep investigating and if anyone has any more suggestions, please keep them coming.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Laptops generally have bigger wifi Aerial its usually a wire that runs around the back of the screen. Also the one in the PC might simply be faulty.

I've given up on Wifi, it varies so much from room to room, and machine to machine. I'm on an old WiFi N router and USB N wifi cards. I've 120 UPC and get 70~90 on my wall plugs.

If you are gaming, and you're PC has Gigabit Ethernet you're probably best getting a Gigabit Ethernet router and running cable direct to the PC.

Advertisement