Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on Gas Meter!!!!

Options
  • 10-10-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Recently following a gas leak I was advised by Board Gais I needed a new meter.
    I was told this meter could either be fitted in the front room or outside on the wall.
    Outside was a good idea!
    When I asked for a recessed meter box I was told they don't install them. They only install boxes proud of the wall.
    I don't have a front garden which means the box will be on the footpath.
    Can anyone advise me please on what I should do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you want a recessed box you can fit it yourself, Bord Gais will run a new service to it, your RGI contractor will do the work from box to house.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

My sincere appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

No Option it has to go outside ! Against regulation to have mains meter inside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can have it indoors in the circumstances the OP describes. http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Your-Meter/Meter-Location/Meter-Location-Guide-HTML-Version/

The recessed option is described there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

I want the box recessed, but Gas Networks have told me they don't do that. They told me I have to get someone to cut out the recess in the wall ( Solid Stone) and fit the box.
    Once that is done they will then install the meter.
    Who do I get to do this kind of job?
    A builder or what???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, I think you mainly need a builder. How big a job it is will depend on the construction of the existing property. If you decide to move things around, there might be some gas fitting work involved too.

Advertisement