Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Lidl for Ballina

Options
  • 10-10-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I see Lidl are building a 2nd Lidl in Ballina, great location. Does anyone know if its going to be any different to the current one they have 5 mins away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Whats the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭martinjudge73

toadfly wrote: »
    Whats the location?

On the old tuffys cash and carry infront of Dunnes and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Death knell for the town centre and more of the smaller indigenous retailers.

A second lidl is unwarranted in Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Shelflife wrote: »

I can see where you are coming at with this.

Not sure if death knell is the right term I'd use.

Tesco/Dunnes haven't invested in their stores since they opened 35 years ago. Both are run down and dated with limited ranges.

Ballina always served a big hinterland with shoppers coming from Belmullet, Charlestown and south Sligo. Those shoppers are now lost to Castlebar and further afield. The retail investment in Ballina is woeful in comparision with Castlebar and that really is the reason why retail in Ballina is on its knees. There is a big choice of stores with more space and better ranges with perceived better prices.

The second lidl store in Ballina is a slightly different format with better promotions and price discounts.

For independent retailers in Ballina it is time to up the game and take it to another level from when the recession hit.

If lidl didn't take this opportunity then Aldi would have grabbed it by both hands. Plus the council is pro development and wanted this site enhanced.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »

What is the town Centre? You mean the row of Pharmacies/Pubs and Coffee shops with takeaways and the odd news agents. Also the 2 VAPs shops that popup up and the mobile phone stores. How is Lidl going to impact on those stores?

There are a number of closed units on the town centre. There is a derelict hotel infront of the current lidl that McDonalds wanted to develop.

What is there to draw shoppers to town centre? Heatons, penneys, boots and Clarkes. thats about it. Sadly. And lidl does not compete in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

What is there to draw shoppers to town centre? Heatons, penneys, boots and Clarkes. thats about it. Sadly. And lidl does not compete in those areas.

How about the independent butchers, and the fishmongers, and the fruit and vedge shops and the independent bakeries..... these shops, all in the town centre, are the ones that I try to use and are the ones people visiting me from the UK are impressed by as they hardly exist in most places in the UK anymore.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    How about the independent butchers, and the fishmongers, and the fruit and vedge shops and the independent bakeries..... these shops, all in the town centre, are the ones that I try to use and are the ones people visiting me from the UK are impressed by as they hardly exist in most places in the UK anymore.

TT

Clarkes is way above Lidl when it comes to sea food. Veg is better in Lidl.

Bakeries.. ?? I think there is only one in Ballina. Duffy and they do a range that does not compete with lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

as town centers go ballina is faring pretty well, the lack of out of town development in the last boom meant that it is still a nice compact town. the new lidil while not slap bang in the middle of the town is still within easy walking distance of the main street. Tesco new store will be in the town centre as well.

pennys on pearse st has saved ballina. the amount of shoppers it brings to the town is un-real. rumors of another major retailer moving to pearse st are now doing the rounds and if it proves to be correct will be a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Bakeries.. ?? I think there is only one in Ballina.

3 that I know of... Billys in Market Street, one opposite Molloys and one near Dunnes entrance. (I just wish one of them would make eccles cakes!)

Lidl's bread is awful, cheap and tasteless. For the extra 50 cents Billy's multi seed is worth every penny extra.

As for butchers, Morans is brilliant. While I buy bulk meat from Lidls, lamb and steak burgers are a must from the butchers.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My wife is from Ballina. Wouldn't have clicked in to this thread otherwise. We live in Dublin and do most of our shopping in Lidl. That said we buy most of our meat from a local butcheres and all our fish from a local fishmongers.

Veg in Lidl is good and I have no problem buying mince from them or lamb chops come to think of it but for good meat (steak / roasts) we always buy from the butcher. There's still room for local shops once they provide quality and value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

farmchoice wrote: »
    as town centers go ballina is faring pretty well, the lack of out of town development in the last boom meant that it is still a nice compact town. the new lidil while not slap bang in the middle of the town is still within easy walking distance of the main street. Tesco new store will be in the town centre as well.

pennys on pearse st has saved ballina. the amount of shoppers it brings to the town is un-real. rumors of another major retailer moving to pearse st are now doing the rounds and if it proves to be correct will be a great addition.

Would be great if that rumour proved true.

Advertisement