Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro fitting network cable in the house

Options
  • 10-10-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Am doing an attic conversion shortly & want to ensure apple TV etc can connect successfully up there.

The UPC connection is in the front box room, so it should be easy enough to run a cable up there, but I was considering running it down through the hot press at the same time to hit all the bedrooms upstairs & possibly dropping down to the ground floor, but that wouldn't be hooked up until we're refurbishing & I can start poking holes in walls.

The hot press sits on top of the old heating press chichis now used for storage, so I could just run when through that for the most part.

What sort of equipment & what price am I looking at ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are you wondering about doing this DIY or getting someone to do it? DIY will mean buying a spool of cat5 cable and a crimper, but getting someone else to do it could get expensive fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Well there's guys coming in to convert the attic so I was going to get the electrocution to do it up there & start the run down from there. Everything else I can do internally. Although Ive no idea how to make up cables so I'd probably buy them ready made

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

OU812 wrote: »
    Well there's guys coming in to convert the attic so I was going to get the electrocution to do it up there & start the run down from there. Everything else I can do internally. Although Ive no idea how to make up cables so I'd probably buy them ready made

I have just completed this job however it was up through the conduit, I replaced some of the secondary wall plates for the TV with a faceplate.

Suggestion: you could run a piece of solid core cat6 or cat5e from area A to B and then use an exposed electrical box and a faceplate on each end, that way anything can be plugged into it with a cable length of your desire from that point (nice tidy job).

All you need is a punchdown tool and obviously the cable + fixings.

That sounds exactly what I need to do durtybit. I'm looking around the place now, the router is going to be in the box room, which is the front of the house. The runs aren't going to be that long & I have an opportunity to lift some floorboards while the work is going on to get them in the ceiling void. The longest run will be about 30 feet (going the long way), so I could get them put in & then put a faceplate on, some of them will be almost back to back & the router will be between the ground floor & the attic conversion so it should be a decent speed.

Any ideas of the best place online to order supplies ?

That sounds exactly what I need to do durtybit. I'm looking around the place now, the router is going to be in the box room, which is the front of the house. The runs aren't going to be that long & I have an opportunity to lift some floorboards while the work is going on to get them in the ceiling void. The longest run will be about 30 feet (going the long way), so I could get them put in & then put a faceplate on, some of them will be almost back to back & the router will be between the ground floor & the attic conversion so it should be a decent speed.

Any ideas of the best place online to order supplies ?

I bought the faceplates off ebay cat6 will send you liks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can buy network cable 30ft plus from maplins, or pcword .
    I understand buying online will be cheaper .

2 words of advice

A. Try not to bend that cable as the cores are solid as opposed to stranded which would be on your normal patch cable (only have a limited bend)
    B. Set the cable cutter so it does not cut the interior cables only the sheath, 1.5 times around seemed to do the trick for me and then a quick inspection once the sheath was off.

If the cat 6 is single core, does it have the strands inside it ? Is it like coax? How would it work with the punchdown tool?

On the punchdown, do I just have to wire one end of the cable the exact same as the other end? e.g. Working from left, First strand blue, second red, third yellow etc?

If the cat 6 is single core, does it have the strands inside it ? Is it like coax? How would it work with the punchdown tool?

On the punchdown, do I just have to wire one end of the cable the exact same as the other end? e.g. Working from left, First strand blue, second red, third yellow etc?

It's colour coded on the back just use B you have A and B. Solid CORE just means you have 8 cables that are solid internally rather than stranded (look identical). Solid is better for this job. Look up a few videos on YouTube of terminating a patch panel (same process)

• Advertisement
Advertisement