Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

marno21 wrote: »
    There’s planning permission for 304 apartments beside it but this plan seems to have been mothballed.

I keep hearing that, but do we have anything to go on? There is still another office block to the east of the black glassy one, so why do we think residential is not happening, maybe was always to get to it later?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that, but do we have anything to go on? There is still another office block to the east of the black glassy one, so why do we think residential is not happening, maybe was always to get to it later?

2 more office blocks I think, one to the East and one to the North. There was also a small (residential?) building to be wedged into the narrow triangular site by Lower Glanmire Rd.

I'd say they've been put on hold for the moment; given the cranes have come down; and I doubt they'd be putting down all the paving if they were going to be starting work on the neighbouring residential element any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Sextant demolished tonight. No going back now.... https://youtu.be/8-Cr4cv4b6s

I passed what was The Sextant earlier today, there is permanent fencing now around the footpath perimeter, the ground is very well concreted now with that temporary building site type fencing between this site and the Careys car park.

It looks to me like it will be an extension of Careys car park for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

I took a pic to send to a friend who doesn't live in Cork anymore, it's like it never existed almost.

525590.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

opus wrote: »
    I took a pic to send to a friend who doesn't live in Cork anymore, it's like it never existed almost.

525590.jpg

When they stick up that 200 story tower by the bonded warehouses it will block the view of the star wars hotel.

Its in jest but I do wonder if the architects are having a field day.

Where are Careys going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They started demolition on the square deal site too, another vintage building gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

rob316 wrote: »
    They started demolition on the square deal site too, another vintage building gone

The brick facade is staying... the modern part that was rebuilt after the fire is going. No loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭mrpdap

https://www.facebook.com/385781741627808/posts/1523231361216168/

Any idea what’s gonna open here? Bottom on Summerhill North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

525590.jpg

Pity they didn't leave the stone wall up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

When they stick up that 200 story tower by the bonded warehouses it will block the view of the star wars hotel.

Its in jest but I do wonder if the architects are having a field day.

Where are Careys going?

Star Wars Hotel, it might catch on, this is Cork and I imagine that building will earn a suitable nick name.

As regards Careys, they are going out by the Kinsale Road Roundabout, on that strip of land to the left of where you take the left slip for N40 East from the South Link Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see heres health have signs up in liam ruiseal window saying coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

They were doing work on it last week And removing some old equipment , I expect it will reopen shortly.

Walked past today, people still working on it.

Not sure what I make of these domes outside Tequila Jack's.

526136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Walked past today, people still working on it.

Not sure what I make of these domes outside Tequila Jack's.

526136.jpg

They have them in the Netherlands, apparently all the rage, the sound of rain in them while having coffee is brilliant but must increase the risk of transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There’s a huge amount of charities after setting up around town the last few weeks looking for donations & sign ups for direct debits, it’s very annoying.
    I know that they lost out on a lot of fundraising opportunities because of lockdown but a lot of people genuinely don’t have the money right now and it’s very frustrating being stopped over and over when you’re just going about your business.

This week alone there was one at the back of Penney’s, one at the front of Penney’s, one by Superdry, one by Brown Thomas and most annoyingly of all one all but blocking off the Patrick St. entrance to Opera Lane.
    Their staff were positioned in such a way that you couldn’t get down the lane without getting into close contact with one of the reps.

I already have a monthly direct debit set up with a charity close to my heard and I can’t afford another one.
    As well as that I have a vulnerable relative who finds it very hard to say no to anyone she deems to be a figure of authority, and she has unwittingly signed up to donate to many of these charities because she was stopped on the street and asked to.

I know its a hard job and I don’t envy their staff having to convince people to sign up at a precarious time like this, but I really don’t think they should be allowed cold approach people & stop them like that.
    To me it’s the same as the lads knocking on on your front door, I just don’t like it.

Hopefully your relative will cancel the DDs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ofcork

Auctioneers on grand parade by Timberland shop moving to parliament Street,that Timberland shop never seems to be busy either don't know how they are staying open.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Just saw Dunlea's Pasties and Pastries have opened in Blackpool. They were opened good and early at 7.15 when I was passing earlier. Looking forward to popping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just saw Dunlea's Pasties and Pastries have opened in Blackpool. They were opened good and early at 7.15 when I was passing earlier. Looking forward to popping in.

Where in Blackpool is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

They have them in the Netherlands, apparently all the rage, the sound of rain in them while having coffee is brilliant but must increase the risk of transmission?

A few in London too along the Thames, they tend to have lights and candles as well as blankets - seems pretty cool and allows them to do a bit of outdoor during winter plus the passive advertising they amount to. Agree they dont seem the best thing for covid in and of itseld, you'd like to be able to let the air run through them a bit at least between sittings. If you do decide to sit in a bubble with people I'd hope people know better than to mix a load of households

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There’s a huge amount of charities after setting up around town the last few weeks looking for donations & sign ups for direct debits, it’s very annoying.
    I know that they lost out on a lot of fundraising opportunities because of lockdown but a lot of people genuinely don’t have the money right now and it’s very frustrating being stopped over and over when you’re just going about your business.

This week alone there was one at the back of Penney’s, one at the front of Penney’s, one by Superdry, one by Brown Thomas and most annoyingly of all one all but blocking off the Patrick St. entrance to Opera Lane.
    Their staff were positioned in such a way that you couldn’t get down the lane without getting into close contact with one of the reps.

I already have a monthly direct debit set up with a charity close to my heard and I can’t afford another one.
    As well as that I have a vulnerable relative who finds it very hard to say no to anyone she deems to be a figure of authority, and she has unwittingly signed up to donate to many of these charities because she was stopped on the street and asked to.

I know its a hard job and I don’t envy their staff having to convince people to sign up at a precarious time like this, but I really don’t think they should be allowed cold approach people & stop them like that.
    To me it’s the same as the lads knocking on on your front door, I just don’t like it.

The easiest thing to say is "I already have one". That cuts the interaction dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    The easiest thing to say is "I already have one". That cuts the interaction dead.

You know the ones that smile at you and try to shake your hand (pre covid)?
    I once said to a guy doing this that the only strangers that ever want to shake my hand are either drunk of have mental health issues.
    He thought it was hilarious!:D
    It was like I'd made his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

Where in Blackpool is this?

Next to where the post office used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not sure if it's been mentioned but The Grumpy Bakers have opened up on Broderick Street in Midleton, the old Messy Buns premises, lots of different breads, savoury danishes, almond croissants etc.

Sampled some of their stuff and it was quite good but must get a proper pre-order in to get a proper loaf of bread and some of the sausage rolls etc. - looks amazing on their instagram page

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

D'Agger wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but The Grumpy Bakers have opened up on Broderick Street in Midleton, the old Messy Buns premises, lots of different breads, savoury danishes, almond croissants etc.

Sampled some of their stuff and it was quite good but must get a proper pre-order in to get a proper loaf of bread and some of the sausage rolls etc. - looks amazing on their instagram page

They seem to be crazy busy, selling out most days. Just shows you build it and they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

All the nice bakeries seems to be opening in Midleton! Fgs! Well, Messy Buns and The Grumpy Baker anyway...! There’s a place called Montys down there too and the stuff on their FB page looks really good too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ah no :(

Mouse are shutting shop.
    Used to use their printing service quite a bit.
    Sorry to see them go.

https://twitter.com/MouseCork/status/1305522991376326656?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Ah no :(

Mouse are shutting shop.
    Used to use their printing service quite a bit.
    Sorry to see them go.

https://twitter.com/MouseCork/status/1305522991376326656?s=19

Where were they in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

barrack street

Writing was on the wall when they gave up the front to badger and dodo. Badger and dodo will be using the back area for a barista school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

leahyl wrote: »
    All the nice bakeries seems to be opening in Midleton! Fgs! Well, Messy Buns and The Grumpy Baker anyway...! There’s a place called Montys down there too and the stuff on their FB page looks really good too

Montys is lovely place to sit outside as well as stuff the face with the goodies bought within!
    Toasties is also very good. Come to think of it, Midleton really has a great selection of cafes and restaurants for a town of its size!

A zero waste shop called Earthway refill has also opened up on the main street.

Advertisement