Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pan, Midleton has also been lovely any time I've dined there, all in all it's a great town for grub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

rob316 wrote: »
    The easiest thing to say is "I already have one". That cuts the interaction dead.

Alternatively say nothing and just walk past, there is no requirement for you to acknowledge their presence in the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

Dbu wrote: »
    Is the Mall sandwich shop on the South Mall gone for good as well?
    Shutters down since last week and no signs

https://twitter.com/OldMouseCork/status/1307331982750343169

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just saw Dunlea's Pasties and Pastries have opened in Blackpool. They were opened good and early at 7.15 when I was passing earlier. Looking forward to popping in.

I assume they had a rebrand as they have had a cafe there for a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭what the hell!

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume they had a rebrand as they have had a cafe there for a good few years now.

Oh maybe? It was the Coffee Pot for years. Totally different to the Coffee Pot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah coffee pot owned by dunlea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Marina Market's first day today. Great amount of stalls and loads of people (arguably too many, very little room for social distancing) but jesus, why does everyone feel the need to drive there? Centre Park Road was a free for all as a result. Saw Gardai rocking up and presumably talking to one of the organisers..

Hope it's a success and that the teething problems will be sorted.

20200920-112035.jpg

20200920-120157.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Looks like the fire that put 3 Degrees hair salon in Blackpool out of business on Friday was arson.
    A horrific crime in normal times, but an even more cruel and vicious thing to do to the staff, who were completely out of work for nearly 4 months because of lockdown and the owners, who invested a lot of money into reopening safely.

The owner was on the radio on Friday and she was heartbroken, they’re a big salon with a lot of staff who are now once again out of work until the salon is back up and running, which could take some time between insurance assessments, remodelling, and replacing everything.

Luckily they’re located near a bank and the shopping centre so CCTV will hopefully easily identify the culprits. I hope they are punished to the fullest extent of the law, such a horrible scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭robinbird

rob316 wrote: »
    The easiest thing to say is "I already have one". That cuts the interaction dead.

Sums up a lot of what is wrong with the irish mentality. The automatic response and advice is to lie and be dishonest. On the basis that this is easier and better than the alternative. Simply tell the truth. Just say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

robinbird wrote: »
    Sums up a lot of what is wrong with the irish mentality. The automatic response and advice is to lie and be dishonest. On the basis that this is easier and better than the alternative. Simply tell the truth. Just say No.

They usually start by saying do u have a minute and I usually always say sorry no and keep moving.

But I remember one day some asshole actually started walking with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Marina Market's first day today. Great amount of stalls and loads of people (arguably too many, very little room for social distancing) but jesus, why does everyone feel the need to drive there? Centre Park Road was a free for all as a result. Saw Gardai rocking up and presumably talking to one of the organisers..

Hope it's a success and that the teething problems will be sorted.

20200920-112035.jpg

20200920-120157.jpg
    TBF to the organizers they tried to promote cycling down - lots of stalls such as messy buns offered free buns if you rocked up with your bike which was a nice touch.

Couldn't go this weekend but will try next time around as it's a great idea, the cars is a pain though, hopefully it doesn't cause long term problems with it running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭rob316

robinbird wrote: »

Its not like I'm perverting the course of justice, its just the easiest option I find. I have monthly direct debit to Simon and Marymount as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ya the Marina Market was great! I'd say the good weather caught them on the hop with crowds a lot bigger than anticipated. Lots of room to expand tho, and more food/coffee offerings are needed.

On the traffic, there is only so much you can do, as was said above they did try to promote cycling, and even had a substantial area along the docks and at the back of the market for parking, with signage on centre park road directing people to this. Even with all that in place it was still mostly ignored as people wanted to park basically at the front door and cause traffic chaos....

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Marina Market gone already. I'd say the garda had a word with the council re: planning conditions and parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I see soma opening up accross from Angelsea garda station !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Marina Market gone already. I'd say the garda had a word with the council re: planning conditions and parking

People insisted on parking right at the front door. It was a beautiful day on Sunday and people were still too lazy to park further away or in town and walk down. On top of that lack of social distancing and crowd control meant this was never going to last.

..... With how busy it was most sensible people would have left upon arrival..... People are as th1ck as sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People insisted on parking right at the front door. It was a beautiful day on Sunday and people were still too lazy to park further away or in town and walk down. On top of that lack of social distancing and crowd control meant this was never going to last.

I think thats the right shout though, it was a bit too busy despite being open air, whether it was gardai or themselves they are taking a responsible approach to what they saw, however have proved out the demand for it, so can come back with confidence next summer regularly

whatever76 wrote: »
    I see soma opening up accross from Angelsea garda station !!

In the old sushi unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

bingo9999 wrote: »
    In the old sushi unit?

Correct - its becoming a nice little triangle with the Crawford complex across the way - in fairness they have done great job on their outside area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

EnzoScifo wrote: »

Those markets are some ripoff anyway. They're supposed to cut out the middle man, brick & mortar costs, "go direct 2 de source" etc. but somehow end up being the most expensive sanguidges / wraps / falafels on the entire planet.

Good for them that they're still getting the crowds. Just not a fan of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Correct - its becoming a nice little triangle with the Crawford complex across the way - in fairness they have done great job on their outside area.

Good to see more things that side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Cork coffee roasters are opening on the other end of the street, by south terrace, across from Ramen. good to see

Great, theres scope for a nice little sit out area there, though a big noisier than Tuckey street. Good on them.

It is becoming a decent drag actually between here and South Terrace - they recently painted that John Morris tyres house which helps a lot too, though the sign is still missing letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Shopfitting works have commenced on Crowleys opticians new unit on Main Street Ballincollig

https://twitter.com/CrowleysOptical/status/1308338954865909761?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

satanta99 wrote: »
    Shopfitting works have commenced on Crowleys opticians new unit on Main Street Ballincollig

https://twitter.com/CrowleysOptical/status/1308338954865909761?s=20

Right across the road from where Specsavers recently opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just saw on Facebook that Monsoon and Accessorize are looking for staff in Mahon. I was under the impression they closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just saw on Facebook that Monsoon and Accessorize are looking for staff in Mahon. I was under the impression they closed.

I believe the business was sold and they would review store closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,287 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those markets are some ripoff anyway. They're supposed to cut out the middle man, brick & mortar costs, "go direct 2 de source" etc. but somehow end up being the most expensive sanguidges / wraps / falafels on the entire planet.

Good for them that they're still getting the crowds. Just not a fan of them myself.

Yep, was at a Co Cork Xmas market and it was overpriced food and junk for most part. The most laughable stands were a lad making reindeer and xmas shıte out of rough bits of trees and another joker selling bits of rubbish with light bulbs stuck on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Cork coffee roasters are opening on the other end of the street, by south terrace, across from Ramen. good to see

A third location?

Advertisement