Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

satanta99 wrote: »
    More info here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40129670.html

Hopefully this unit will not be empty as long as the unit at the other end of Patrick Street!

Unless they split the building up who will have a requirement for a 3 story building in the city Centre? With parking on site for only 2 vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Monsoon and Accessorize have reopened in Mahon Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

I spotted a stall in the front yard of a house on the Mardyke selling handmade xmas decorations in case anyone is looking for such things. Pretty much by the corner of Noel Cantwell walk. Sorry no pics as was jogging past at lunchtime so didn't have my phone to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Card Factory are recruiting for staff for a new store that is due to open in Douglas Village in Feb 2021.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know when the Pet Shop is opening in the retail park in Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Dean Hotel is opening soon.

One thing I've never considered is fire safety for a new development. Turns out that the Fire Brigade go out there to familiarise themselves with the layout.
    https://twitter.com/CorkCityFire/status/1336671481141612544?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Suit Direct is opening soon in Mahon.

GoBike is also in the covered carpark.

When did KFC close?

Details here about Suit Direct

https://mahonpointsc.ie/new-store-suit-direct-are-hiring/?fbclid=IwAR351gYMDXbBjpbZHIiazkA8IrBeBXG8JgRMngcRB74_WwZ5Q6JFhyrwTac

Opening on the upper floor, could be the former Oasis or Only units

I think it’s the only unit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When did KFC close?

It was surprising to have a Hillbillys and KFC trading side by side. I think most would prefer Hillbillys chicken.

Looks like Suits Direct are opening on Patrick Street too!

https://www.suitdirect.co.uk/store-locator/cork

It says 83 Patrick Street which is where Selected and Villa were located.

Great to see an empty unit filled!

ongarboy wrote: »
    It was surprising to have a Hillbillys and KFC trading side by side. I think most would prefer Hillbillys chicken.

I knew somebody who worked there and they said KFC was never very profitable there.
    KFC also had in their contract that nobody else could sell on the bone chicken in the food court. So, Hillbilly’s might be able to do it now.
    She knew about the one opening in Douglas with years and aways said they’d get out of Mahon if they could.

I wonder what will replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ongarboy wrote: »

The Hillbillys there did not sell fried chicken, just pizza and wings strangely and probably because of KFC being there. Hopefully they can now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New outlet selling crepes on Princes Street: Kings (after the old bar on the same premises).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

New cafe / winebar (Moody or Moody's?) opening in the nice redbrick building at the junction of Lower Glanmire Road and Summerhill North.

Also the small coffee shop at the end of the old railway cutting on Boru St. is being outfitted and should open soon, as "Boru" strangely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

who_me wrote: »
    New cafe / winebar (Moody or Moody's?) opening in the nice redbrick building at the junction of Lower Glanmire Road and Summerhill North.

Also the small coffee shop at the end of the old railway cutting on Boru St. is being outfitted and should open soon, as "Boru" strangely enough.

Good to see something going into that building at the start of Lower Glanmire Road, it's been empty for a long time, they did a nice renovation job on it recently. Anything that brings a bit of life to that area other that traffic is to be welcomed.

Clever name for that coffee place on Brian Boru Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seamai wrote: »
    , it's been empty for a long time, they did a nice renovation job on it recently. .

Whoever did that renovation (probably not the tenants) had little regard for conservation.
    That building was faced with beautiful, distinctive, old green tiles. They have all been painted over or removed.
    I wish the finer details of these kind of buildings could be preserved. In this case it would cost almost nothing.
    Builders just love ripping stuff up, down or off!
    "oh, they couldn't be saved" bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Whoever did that renovation (probably not the tenants) had little regard for conservation.
    That building was faced with beautiful, distinctive, old green tiles. They have all been painted over or removed.
    I wish the finer details of these kind of buildings could be preserved. In this case it would cost almost nothing.

I know in the Superdry building, they painted over old,decorative tiles and had to restore them back to the way they were. Maybe they will have to do the same here.

Fair point, the upper stories on the Lower Glanmire Road scrubbed up well but the retail premises (it was a dental surgery and a barber's before that) on Summerhill was ripped out and you're correct it had beautiful green tiles, now that space has been plastered over and is at odds with the brick in the rest of the building. I have a vague recollection of tiles as on the LGR side, have they gone too?
    I'd actually forgotten all about that, I'm no longer passing it on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was half expecting to get a reaction along the lines of, "oh ffs, you're bleating about a few tiles - get over yourself - you are anti progress!"
    (especially from one particular poster)

It's nice to know that others here share my view that historic details and ornamentation are important on older buildings.

Pet shop in Mahon Retail Park is opening on the Friday 18th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

New Pub "Atlas" opened up this week on Marlboro st.
    http://www.atlascork.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

whatever76 wrote: »

Ya has anyone been? I’ve emailed for a reservation but haven’t heard back?

Anyone been to the Alibi on Washington street? Only doing walk ins.

Is that where Spyglass was? I think they were the old Sextant crowd.

Passed that new wine bar/cafe at the start of the Lower Glanmire Road yesterday, not open yet but looks really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Seamai wrote: »
    Is that where Spyglass was? I think they were the old Sextant crowd.

Passed that new wine bar/cafe at the start of the Lower Glanmire Road yesterday, not open yet but looks really nice.

Ya its montys bar now

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Good to see, that place has changes a lot lately from 76 (/Some number) Marlboro, to Rum, to Spyglass, to Atlas now, which I assume means they have struggled a bit, but could be wrong. Hope this goes well for them, always like that space for a cosy bite and drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ya its montys bar now

Did buy it?

Anyone know if he bought another place on princess street below Nash’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Cotts72

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Good to see, that place has changes a lot lately from 76 (/Some number) Marlboro, to Rum, to Spyglass, to Atlas now, which I assume means they have struggled a bit, but could be wrong. Hope this goes well for them, always like that space for a cosy bite and drink

Always liked the layout of that bar but no one has ever seemed to kick on with it! Hopefully this will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

You can build or modify as you please here in Cork.
    The planning office will rubber stamp any build as long as the contributions are paid to CCC.
    The facade, height and impact on the surrounding area is unimportant!!

Advertisement