Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

Augeo wrote: »
    Twas empty for years & years :)

Only a few years msl went to the trouble of building it to move up a bit from turners cross motors and moved to little island after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

It’s like IKEA in the same way that Harvey Norman is Harvey Nichols.
    Similar sounding vibe to the name is where the similarities end.

That being said, I’d sooner shop at Harvey Norman than Harvey Nick’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Spotted a vinyl record shop on the Colloseum end of mcCurtain Street today (closed at the moment, obviously).
    One Vinyl, I think.
    Anyone know how long it's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Spotted a vinyl record shop on the Colloseum end of mcCurtain Street today (closed at the moment, obviously).
    One Vinyl, I think.
    I reckon since about October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

One Vinyl, I think.

Yes that opened up some time last year - Italian people behind it I believe.
    https://www.facebook.com/VinyloneCork/

Hope it works out for them - looks v cool !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Pope John Paul 2 Live In Ireland 1979 on vinyl! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've been to the Jysk in Portlaoise twice. Wasn't overly mad about their stuff.

Its very bland alot of white and grey, nothing like the bright colors in ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I reckon since about October.

Yep since about then too I would think - Have gotten some cool stuff in there, nice folks working there.

Watch out for being charged top dollar for re-issues tho!! Seems to happen in every single second hand record shop I've been in.

Edit: I shouldn't say charged, the sticker price was top dollar. I didnt pay for it.

Having passed the new, unfinished masseytown place where Bracken's was, I have a couple of issues with them already. On pretty serious, the other just annoying.

Guy serving the hatch today has no mask on, no visor, no screen. Really not acceptable in my view.

The other is that they are serving hot chocolate, coffee and crepes and have menu boards but no prices displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Having passed the new, unfinished masseytown place where Bracken's was, I have a couple of issues with them already. On pretty serious, the other just annoying.

Guy serving the hatch today has no mask on, no visor, no screen. Really not acceptable in my view.

The other is that they are serving hot chocolate, coffee and crepes and have menu boards but no prices displayed.

Did you Call the gardai and write to a politician? I'm mean really? What's the point on writing this on here?

Out of interest, did you approach the guy and say "hi, great to see local businesses trying to trade during lockdowns, love to support local Cork businesses, just to note, (INSERT CONCERNS NOTED ABOVE)

I'm sure nobody wants to see businesses closing but we have to try support the ones remaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

FWIW, when we went a couple of weeks ago he was masked up.

Agree re the pricing though. TBH, it was on par with other places but I would have liked to have known before going up.

Pen Rua wrote: »

Agree re the pricing though. TBH, it was on par with other places but I would have liked to have known before going up.

I passed a week ago or so and he had a mask under his chin.
    Today there was a second staff member with a mask under her chin.
    Today wasn't a once off.

monkeycork wrote: »

I'm sure nobody wants to see businesses closing but we have to try support the ones remaining.

I will happily, and do, support businesses that behave responsibly.

In my experience, the kind of people who don't wear masks where it's mandatory, don't respond well to having their behaviour pointed out.
    You usually get hostility or, "breathing difficulties" bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The good thing is that they are doing the O Conaill hot chocolate. Them closing their own shop was a big loss.

Having passed the new, unfinished masseytown place....................
    Guy serving the hatch today has no mask on, no visor, no screen. Really not acceptable in my view. ...........................
    I passed a week ago or so and he had a mask under his chin.
    Today there was a second staff member with a mask under her chin.
    Today wasn't a once off.

As you say, unacceptable. I'll not be throwing any €s their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Back to the tread topic

Cafe Moly

99 Douglas St

Opened in December

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cotts72

monkeycork wrote: »
    Back to the tread topic

Cafe Moly

99 Douglas St

Opened in December

Very modern setup, great coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Very modern setup, great coffee

Agree lovely shop - and great Cakes as well ! :p

Not exactly new but I got a lovely coffee from Cortado on the Marina yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Not exactly new but I got a lovely coffee from Cortado on the Marina yesterday.

Another gem! Very nice to chat with and delighted that the arrival of guji hasn't affected them too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    New cafe / winebar (Moody or Moody's?) opening in the nice redbrick building at the junction of Lower Glanmire Road and Summerhill North.

Also the small coffee shop at the end of the old railway cutting on Boru St. is being outfitted and should open soon, as "Boru" strangely enough.

Spotted today that Boru is up & running.

opus wrote: »
    Spotted today that Boru is up & running.

Seems like an odd location, no? There’s no major offices close by (Albert Quay et al serviced by Cortado and Starbucks). No major footfall in the best of times. What’s it’s unique selling point?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Seems like an odd location, no? There’s no major offices close by (Albert Quay et al serviced by Cortado and Starbucks). No major footfall in the best of times. What’s it’s unique selling point?

Penrose Dock and Horgan's Quay are a short stroll away and there would still be quite a lot of passers by from the train station?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Penrose Dock and Horgan's Quay are a short stroll away and there would still be quite a lot of passers by from the train station?

Presumably there is a cafe in Penrose and/or Horganm’s? Agreed re train station, but again there’s a place in the station. Hm. Always good to see a small business give it a shot, just don’t know want to see it shuttered within the year.

Presumably there is a cafe in Penrose and/or Horganm’s? Agreed re train station, but again there’s a place in the station. Hm. Always good to see a small business give it a shot, just don’t know want to see it shuttered within the year.

Coffee is far better in Boru than what's on offer in train station. Thinks a great location myself. That path is quite busy when people were working in the city before covid.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Coffee is far better in Boru than what's on offer in train station. Thinks a great location myself. That path is quite busy when people were working in the city before covid.

Gotcha. I normally work that side of the city, but never ventured that side. Hopefully it works out for them post COVID if/when The Dean is busy, trains back & the offices that side are back up and running.

Gotcha. I normally work that side of the city, but never ventured that side. Hopefully it works out for them post COVID if/when The Dean is busy, trains back & the offices that side are back up and running.

I think there's a coffee shop of some sort going into the dean as well. Lab 82 across from the train station has pretty good coffee too, not sure about the decor do!

There's been a crazy amount of coffee shops opening over the last few months, hopefully they'll do ok. Saying that, if there's business model that seems to be surviving at the moment, its selling dirty water (coffee).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hillbilly's in Mahon are doing on the bone chicken!

Hillbilly's Family Restaurants
    ・・・
    **ANNOUNCEMENT** we are now serving snack boxes, dinner boxes and breast in a buns in our @mahonpointshopping centre location, why not head down for our amazing Tuesday Special tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hillbilly's in Mahon are doing on the bone chicken!

Hillbilly's Family Restaurants
    ・・・
    **ANNOUNCEMENT** we are now serving snack boxes, dinner boxes and breast in a buns in our @mahonpointshopping centre location, why not head down for our amazing Tuesday Special tomorrow!

Was only a matter of time with kfc gone. They are the only food place open in there at the moment actually, and Starbucks for coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Karmella wrote: »
    Was only a matter of time with kfc gone. They are the only food place open in there at the moment actually, and Starbucks for coffee.

I hope something decent will take the KFC unit when things settle down.

Advertisement