Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Just saw earlier that Hassets have closed in Blackpool Shopping Centre. Due to Covid the sign said and thanks for all the support over the last few years. Seems like a permanent move. Thought they were doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just saw earlier that Hassets have closed in Blackpool Shopping Centre. Due to Covid the sign said and thanks for all the support over the last few years. Seems like a permanent move. Thought they were doing well.

Got stuff from there, maybe three times, and thought it really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

New bakery open by Turners Cross, only opened a few days ago

http://cherryontopbakery.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

siblers wrote: »
    New bakery open by Turners Cross, only opened a few days ago

http://cherryontopbakery.ie/

Lots of cakes!
    Seems Polish, I love their donughts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Lots of cakes!
    Seems Polish, I love their donughts :)

First reaction - "yay! a new bakery:D"

Second reaction - "they don't make bread:("

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

First reaction - "yay! a new bakery:D"

Second reaction - "they don't make bread:("

The rye bread in Pana, Merchant's Quay is sensational!

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    The rye bread in Pana, Merchant's Quay is sensational!

Pana is my go to bakery!
    Not sure I've tried the rye bread, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got stuff from there, maybe three times, and thought it really disappointing.

Not a patch on brackens didnt realise they were closed permanently although they were open through other lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Seems that Huckleberry is going to make a return with a food truck in a city centre location. Can see it doing well. I think your man ran into difficulties when he opened the second shop back in the day. The market was over saturated anyway. Good luck to him! https://www.instagram.com/p/CLADE8eAxTA/?igshid=1p0le7r3gko3b

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Seems that Huckleberry is going to make a return with a food truck in a city centre location. Can see it doing well. I think your man ran into difficulties when he opened the second shop back in the day. The market was over saturated anyway. Good luck to him! https://www.instagram.com/p/CLADE8eAxTA/?igshid=1p0le7r3gko3b

He's a good man to spot a fad and capitalize. Wonder where he will be based?

I see the one on the straight road was causing traffic jams a few weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    He's a good man to spot a fad and capitalize. Wonder where he will be based?

I see the one on the straight road was causing traffic jams a few weeks ago!

It was today at around 12:30 again, I was passing heading towards town and there was a small queue out into road... Surprised guards don't do something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The whole €3 gourmet donut fad has worn off I thought. Dunnes actually do very nice donuts

The County councillors aren’t giving up on their Kildare Village retail outlet just yet! https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40222010.html

rob316 wrote: »
    The whole €3 gourmet donut fad has worn off I thought. Dunnes actually do very nice donuts

The man in charge is a pretty good marketer and people are only looking for something to do/treat themselves so I think it could explode for a few months and then die down again. Not sure if a physical location would work this time around. So many coffee vans have popped up around the place in the past few months!

The man in charge is a pretty good marketer and people are only looking for something to do/treat themselves so I think it could explode for a few months and then die down again. Not sure if a physical location would work this time around. So many coffee vans have popped up around the place in the past few months!

My wife had a mobile coffee van around 2005/2006 but she was ahead of her time. People weren't very discerning about coffee, in the main, then and couldn't understand why her coffee was dearer than centra. She also really struggled to find places to pitch. She wasn't allowed to trade from any public land and always had to find private property to trade from. I'm not sure that this has changed - both ones near the Marina are on private property.
    All in all, it was more trouble than it was worth and she gave it up after a couple of years.
    It was the best coffee in Cork at the time - there were no other serious contenders.

My wife had a mobile coffee van around 2005/2006 but she was ahead of her time. People weren't very discerning about coffee, in the main, then and couldn't understand why her coffee was dearer than centra. She also really struggled to find places to pitch. She wasn't allowed to trade from any public land and always had to find private property to trade from. I'm not sure that this has changed - both ones near the Marina are on private property.
    All in all, it was more trouble than it was worth and she gave it up after a couple of years.
    It was the best coffee in Cork at the time - there were no other serious contenders.

Probably 5/6 years too early! They are all the rage now..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

coffee vans all over the place-whats the story do you need a license and sh1t is there a lot of paperwork permits etc for chipvans coffee shops etc

coffee vans all over the place-whats the story do you need a license and sh1t is there a lot of paperwork permits etc for chipvans coffee shops etc

At the time, I'm talking about and regarding coffee vans, no you didn't need a licence but you did need approval from the HSE.
    At the time, in Cork, you couldn't get permits for public land apart from these temporary street markets (very expensive for just a coffee van) and the CoalQuay Saturday market.
    Location was the main problem - you need a lot of footfall to make money if just selling coffee and basic snacks - a lot of footfall.
    Perhaps it's a bit better now as people are willing to pay more for good coffe than they were then.
    It's not easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

There’s one opening up soon on the walkway into Garryduff woods. Crazy the amount of them around nowadays but to be fair we have feck all else to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

If its anything like galway You need a trading licence from the council for public areas.
    And then if you went outside the city council limits you may need to then get a county one.
    Each county also has its own licences so if you want to move around you have to get one for each of them. Some tourist spots also have separate ones
    Its quite costly if you cant get a permanent pitch somewhere

• Advertisement

Probably 5/6 years too early! They are all the rage now..

Literally 5 or 6 years as you say.
    The likes of Red Strand Coffee started in 2011 from a mobile van ..... "in 2011 we sold our first coffee from our original coffee van in the West Cork farmers markets"

https://redstrandcoffee.com/about/

Perhaps it's a bit better now as people are willing to pay more for good coffe than they were then.
    It's not easy money.

Nowadays most of the mobile places are under €3 so not too much dearer than service station stuff for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Cork Lass wrote: »
    There’s one opening up soon on the walkway into Garryduff woods. Crazy the amount of them around nowadays but to be fair we have feck all else to be doing.

Tea/Coffee are the new "Rounds" of drinks these days :pac:

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    If its anything like galway You need a trading licence from the council for public areas.
    And then if you went outside the city council limits you may need to then get a county one.
    Each county also has its own licences so if you want to move around you have to get one for each of them. Some tourist spots also have separate ones
    Its quite costly if you cant get a permanent pitch somewhere

At the time I'm talking about Cork City Council didn't give out any licences or permits. I don't know if that's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Sorry what i meant was..if it is anything like it is in galway now then it would be like that.
    I cant see the council not charging for licences these days. Its a definite money maker for them

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Cork Lass wrote: »

I was only thinking yesterday, there's nowhere really nice for coffee in Mount Oval. Will have to try it out when it opens, do you know the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Cotts72

calnand wrote: »
    I was only thinking yesterday, there's nowhere really nice for coffee in Mount Oval. Will have to try it out when it opens, do you know the name of it?

Ozzys cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Anybody now of a tailors that are open. There was a good one on Oliver Plunkett St but its a vapours now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

interesting read

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BruteStock wrote: »
    Anybody now of a tailors that are open. There was a good one on Oliver Plunkett St but its a vapours now

What about Tuckers on Tuckey Street, is that still there?

Advertisement